Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions

Post Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2021 11:52 pm 
Admin of Slight Inconvenience
Tuesday wonders... Have you read any güd books recently?

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:08 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
Technically a fair business arrangement (I mean, I guess you could say that it was implied he could keep the books if she failed the test and she would have still got to keep one anyway) and yet it still kinda smelt like a scam attempt. At least Yffi is putting his money where his mouth is.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:50 am 
GUIGUI wrote:
Technically a fair business arrangement (I mean, I guess you could say that it was implied he could keep the books if she failed the test and she would have still got to keep one anyway) and yet it still kinda smelt like a scam attempt. At least Yffi is putting his money where his mouth is.

Ah, you know wizards and their secrets tests. Like half of them are just scams wrapped in ancient wisdom and grandfatherly British accents.

I hear the HBI (that is, the Halfling Burrow of Investigation) is still searching for that Gandalf guy, offering adventure when he's actually just recruiting for heists.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:05 am 
Location: Belgium, the true land of the french fries (no its not the france, trust me)
I just would like to point out how incredibly great is Pete's skill to make a character that has basically only appeared in a few strip almost immediately likeable and/or enjoyable. Enough to make me care about them.

And then, half of the time, Pete proceed to kill them. Monster.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:36 am 
Location: We dine well here in Camelot. We eat ham and jam and spam a lot.
I have one small unimportant question: How is the wizard's name pronounced? Yffi
Is that said like the internet meme? Wi-fi?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 9:48 am 
Well, they lived over a thousand years ago. You gotta go sometime, right?

I'm curious about something. It's 3 books, but Osric was aware of the existence of 4. What happened to the Book of Bhad and, if it didn't come to be in Yffi's possession, how did Osric come to know about it?

I always thought it was pronounced "iffy."

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 11:51 am 
I guess Yffi's existence was not set too far from Orsic's own time. A wizard who get you cursed if you see his face ten to leave mark in the collective memory.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:54 pm 
Lord Golbez wrote:
What happened to the Book of Bhad and, if it didn't come to be in Yffi's possession, how did Osric come to know about it?

I have also been wondering about this.

Quote:

I've always pronounced it "Yiffy" because it makes Y both consonant and vowel, but I like your way too. :torg:

Post Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2021 7:20 pm 
It's simple -- just pronounce "iffy" backwards...

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 6:48 am 
garyfritz wrote:
It's simple -- just pronounce "iffy" backwards...

Just don't do that three times in front of a mirror at midnight. Trust me on that.

I'm wondering what the name for Yffi's new scribe is. Maybe Ebircs? And how she has the knowledge of letters, and how to make a cypress and antler amulet that got Yffi's attention.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 8:37 am 
Lord Golbez wrote:

I'm a bit iffy on that pronunciation too. :pun:

... but then I think about all the JRPGs I played as a kid, and how their names never bothered me then either. lol.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 22, 2021 9:34 am 
Zillatain wrote:
Tuesday wonders... Have you read any güd books recently?

----
Vote for Sluggy Freelance at Top Web Comics.
Remember to vote every day.

Güd... but a bit yiffi.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 12:31 pm 
Location: East of the West, west of the East, north of the South, south of the North Pole.
Lord Golbez wrote:
I'm curious about something. It's 3 books, but Osric was aware of the existence of 4. What happened to the Book of Bhad and, if it didn't come to be in Yffi's possession, how did Osric come to know about it?

I've also been trying to figure that out. Allie lived northwest of Vesuvius, near the site of Wilcott's excavation. The Book of Uhglëë seems to have been found there, so that one may have been left behind in the ruin of Allie's house. In that case the Book of Bhad should be the third one that Scribe found, along with E-Ville and Güd.

On the other hand, two books were found north of Vesuvius, and Riff believes that one of them was the Book of E-Ville. If that is correct, then it must have been returned there some time after the "war of the bug squishers". If the Book of E-Ville was returned to Allie's home town, then the Book of Uhglëë may have been returned at the same time, in which case the Book of Bhad is missing.

At the very least, the Page of Binding must have been returned there, because it was still part of the book when Siphy L. travelled north.

As for how Osric knew, I noticed that Yffi knew some things about the books of E-Ville and Güd before he ever saw them. Osric may have had access to the same source as Yffi.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 23, 2021 3:42 pm 
I just noticed... the wizard referred to "the Wodee woods." I assumed it was a proper name. But then a peasant woman referred to Siphy L. as "the Wodee witch." So is "Wodee" a name (and the woods are named after Siphy?? or she lived in the Wodee woods?) or just an adjective meaning "magical" or "creepy" or whatever?

Board index » Sluggy Related Forums » Reactions