Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Important Stuff » Important Threads

Post subject: San Diego Comic-con
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:01 am 
I was just at "preview night".

Wow.

Just... wow. I've never been to a con before, so this was just overwhelming. And the cosplay was decent! They even managed to get a one-legged model to promote Grindhouse. I ended up spending half my budget on the special edition DVD of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, and I met two of the the guys who do Red vs Blue... the maroon one and the orange one.

More tomorrow after I attend some actual panels.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:05 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
Man, if I still lived out West I would so be wishing I could afford to go to comic-con.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:09 am 
Glad you're having fun

*sits at home twiddling thumbs, knee deep in parrot poo*

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:23 am 
AOL: Surgoshan
Get her some pocky.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 2:26 am 
I can get pocky at 7-11.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:12 am 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
Yahoo Messenger: shinarimaia
AOL: TamirDM
Surgoshan wrote:
Get her some pocky.

Don't forget, Kea and Ngau live in Hong Kong. Pocky isn't exotic for them.

So what's the most obscure cosplay you've seen thus far?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:03 am 
If it's obscure I probably wouldn't recognize it. There was a very short man in a black leotard-type thing that had a tight hood that covered his head, and an orange P on his chest. He congratulated some people who figured out the reference, but I didn't hear what it was.

There was a guy in a BK "Sneak King" mask, but with a Death costume over it. That was just weird.

Oh! There were two small girls dressed as the two ice climbers from the old NES game and Super Smash Bros. They had big rubber hammers too.

And three guys dressed as Ouendan characters, but it's been done.

BTW:

Iron Man looks rather awesome. Favreau showed up and tossed us a clip of it, where you see a bit of a trailer. First you see Tony Stark talking about a defense contract, then him getting attacked and barely escaping from the military convoy he was in. Then he wakes up with a machine attached to his chest, the person who attached it explaining that it's keeping shrapnel from entering his heart and killing him. He then decides to start making his first Iron Man suit. He goes for a test run against what looks like some terrorist insurgents in a cave, and kicks all their butts.

Then you see short clips of Warmachine, the final Iron Man, and Iron Man flying through the sky to escape some jet fighters. It's pretty cool.

Beowulf is an all-CG film that will be released in RealD, IMAX 3D and regular 2D. Directed by Robert Zemeckis in what feels like "Polar Express: Gory Violence and Naked Angelina Jolie Version". The RealD demo they did was really nice. It's not perfect because you still see blurry shadows sometimes, but it's the best glasses-3D experience I've ever had.

The Stardust clip was interesting. It left me wondering "why in the world would an all-powerful mega-witch who can turn goats into people and make a whole inn out of nothing need to make such elaborate traps to get what she wants?" but I'm curious enough to watch it when it comes out because it's very very pretty.

And the guy who plays Sylar in Heroes is going to play Spock in the next Star Trek film. He really looks creepy in person.

And I still don't like Shia Lebouf. He'd better not mess up Indy 4.

Oh, for fans of Looking For Group, the webcomic based on World of Warcraft, Blind Ferret productions is making a full-length movie to be released next year. The clip they showed us was a parody of "Part of this World" in Little Mermaid, with the undead Warlock character Richard singing "Slaughter this World" while killing everyone in a village. It was very very violent, but rather hilarious.

Edit: Friday news, we were tired, so we just went to the Stargate panel. It was hilarious. I haven't laughed so hard in a long time. Jewel Staite and Amanda Tapping are bloody gorgeous in person.

The direct-to-DVD Stargate movie, "Ark of Truth", looks really cool. There was a scene that involved the bad guys building a warship-sized Stargate. I haven't seen much of SG1, so I didn't really know what was going on.

Stargate Atlantis: lots of pretty clips were shown, looks like they meet a new race of people (they look like fans of the Matrix), and Tayla's character gets pregnant with some sort of alien thingy. And much explosions, and Joe Flanigan and David Hewlett being funny. Sorry, I'm tired, and my recollection of things are fuzzy.

Amanda Tapping was promoting something called Sanctuaryforall.com. Haven't checked it out yet.

For Avatar fans: Season 3 starts on September 21st. Aang for some reason has grown hair.

Edit: Saturday

Couldn't get into either the Avatar or Heroes panels. Sad.

Disney's Prince Caspian looks pretty darn good. They showed us a pre-viz animatic of gryffons carrying soldiers into the castle for a battle, and the rats fighting guards and getting past doors like a little medieval SWAT-team. The guy who plays Caspian was revealed, but I had no idea who it was.

Pixar revealed the storyline to Wall.e, their next film. In the future, the earth gets buried in so much trash that humans evacuate in hi-tech ships. They're supposed to come back at some point, but something goes wrong and they don't. But they forgot to turn off one of their little robotic trash compactors, and he continues doing his work for 700 years, and develops a personality. One day, he manages to get aboard a scout ship that takes him to one of the missing evacuation ships, and finds that what's left of humanity has turned into lazy blobby couch potatoes because everything is provided for them. Wall.e falls in love with one of the robots from the ship named Eve, and needs to somehow save humanity from its blobbiness and bring them back to earth. They also showed us an "incomplete" 10 minutes of the movie (it looked complete to me...) where you see Wall.e living his daily life with his pet cockroach before the shuttle lands near his area. I can't believe that Pixar managed to make a cockroach cute. It goes against every fiber of my being.

The Marvel panel had some cast and crew for the Incredible Hulk. Edward Norton as Bruce Banner, and Liv Tyler as Betty Ross. Norton wrote the script, and it's being directed by the French guy who made Transporter 1 and 2. They're rebooting the movie series but not doing an "origin story" again, and showed us one concept shot of the Hulk's face: he looks really mean and gritty now, not like the giant green cabbage patch doll from the first movie. Norton will be doing the acting for both sides of the Hulk using new body movement and face-mapping technology. And Liv Tyler still knows how to say a random sentence in Elvish.

They also did a real full panel for Iron Man, showing the aforementioned trailer twice. This time around Gwyneth Paltrow, Terrence Howard and Robert Downey Jr. were there, and joked a whole lot, and then Stan Lee made a surprise appearance. When a fan asked the cast if they're being faithful to Lee's work, Lee joked that he had 20 lawyers looking at the script and to make sure of it. Downey Jr. seems to love making fun of Paltrow, getting a "that's such bull[crap]!" from her when he said she was everyone's inspiration and acting coach.

Man, these cons are tiring. I don't know if I want to go tomorrow.

Edit: Sunday

I just hung around the convention hall. I finally noticed the webcomics section! Duh. I met Mike Krahulik and Jerry Holkins of Penny Arcade, David Willis of Shortpacked!, Phil and Kaja Foglio of Girl Genius (we had a wonderful conversation about Steampunk fantasy and Zelda, which she loves to play), and Scott Kurtz of PVP, who had to tell me the Skull Plushie was sold out. Why didn't I find that area on Friday?! I feel so stupid.

Anyways, that ends my romp at my first Con. Sorry I turned this into a bit of a blog, and not a very good one at that. Hopefully other people had a chance to go to the con.

Board index » Important Stuff » Important Threads