Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 1:11 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
Dodger77 wrote:
OOG: Uh, CCC? Roger's resolve is 2, not 0.


(Whooops. Seriously, I looked for Resolve on Roger's sheet, I have no idea why I didn't see it. Regardless, edited.)

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri May 21, 2021 10:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15320
Location: Yes.
Arkady gestures towards the radio. "Preceptor Vanire was at the Conclave when the Rendorans showed up. Also, Sir Ulath is with us on Preceptor Vanire's mission; so perhaps the Preceptor can be best explaining whether retrieving the Rose now that we've found it would be more urgent than Sir Ulath heading towards Rendor. And finally, ask him or Sir Ulath how many Terrans they think it would take to fight a troll, if they had an expert along to advise them."

Needless to say, Vanire could hear that. Tagging priest and defensive pacifist again, because why not?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat May 22, 2021 12:10 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix will wait to see what Vanire has to say and if it has any effect on the situation.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 8:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
Arkady talks up Vanire's qualifications a bit, letting his knowledge of the internal politics of a very different church lead his body language:

Arkady: Leadership: +3 Roll: +0 Tag: Priest: +2 Total: +5
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +4
Bergstor: XXOOO OO


"Y̷o̴u̷'̴v̷e ̶f̸o̴u̴n̸d̷ t̴h̴e R̶o̶s̴e̵? T̴h̵a̸t̴'̵s a̷m̶a̵z- w̷a̴i̸t̷, R̶e̷n̶d̵o̸r̴? B̵e̶r̶g̶s̵t̸o̶r̴, a̸r̶e y̷o̴u l̴e̵a̴d̸i̵n̷g a̶n̵o̴t̶h̴e̷r p̷u̷n̸i̴t̴i̴v̴e e̵x̴p̸e̶d̶i̵t̴i̸o̴n t̸o R̴e̸n̸d̵o̵r̵?"

"This is the time to lay the heresy of Rendor to rest once and for all!" insists Bergstor, sharply.

"U̵h̴-̵h̴u̵h̷." Vanire sounds profoundly unimpressed. "A̷n̷d ̴w̶h̴i̷c̶h K̴i̶n̵g i̶s ̶t̴r̵y̷i̴n̶g t̶o f̵i̵n̴d g̶l̴o̸r̶y b̶y r̷e̸p̸e̴a̶t̷i̶n̶g t̵h̵e m̶i̷s̸t̶a̶k̶e̵s t̶h̸a̴t t̸h̷e C̶h̷u̵r̶c̵h h̸a̷s̵ m̸a̸d̵e i̸n t̷h̶e p̶a̴s̶t?"

"King Wargun," says Bergstor, firmly. "A proud and noble man -"

"O̸n̷l̵y ̵o̶n̸c̵e ̴y̸o̴u g̶e̸t h̴i̷s ̴n̷o̸s̵e o̸u̵t o̷f t̸h̶e w̵i̵n̶e ̵c̶a̴s̴k."

Vanire calls into question the motives of Bergstor's expedition:

Vanire: Leadership: +5 Roll: -2 Legal Eagle (stunt): +2 Total: +5
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5
Bergstor: XXOOO OO

Somehow, this doesn't seem to have any immediate effect.


"The motives of the King of Thalesia are not what should be under question here!" objects Bergstor. "All the news that we have indicates that the Rendorish heresy is at the weakest it has been for decades; this is the time to strike, and this is when this army is preparing to go!"

Bergstor tries to suggest a sense of urgency:

Bergstor: Leadership: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4
Arkady: Resolve: +3 Roll: -2 Total: +1
Arkady: XOXOO OO
Felix: Resolve: +1 Roll: +0 Total: +1
Felix: OXXXO O
Roger: Resolve: +2 Roll: +2 Total: +4
Roger: XOXOO O

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun May 23, 2021 3:15 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Ahh," Felix says. "I think I see what this is. I've seen similar things happen in my time. You're trying to do battle with an entrenched religious group in a desert community that doesn't like you very much."

Felix nods his head.

"This will be a campaign that, if successful at all, will take months or even years. Meanwhile we're working on pressing matters for assuring the internal security of the realm that we hope to complete on a much shorter time schedule. We need Sir Ulath for that more urgently than you need him for your campaign. By the time we're finished with our tasks you might even still be in the planning stages for yours. I must insist you let us keep Sir Ulath."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon May 24, 2021 2:39 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15320
Location: Yes.
Arkady shakes his head. "If the attackers had conquered the holy city, would you have converted? To the Rendorish heresy? To Azash?" He shakes his head. "Of course not. But no more will they (indicates the army) impress the Rendorans if they win a fight. You need preachers with you; men who can be telling the Rendorans in their language that your God wants them to heed and follow his true Church and it's teachings. Until you get the men who can do that, your winning any fights will be wasted. Your fighting will be wasted."
Tag priest and defensive pacifist at need. If there's one thing Arkady has seen back home, it's the joys of trying to convert people by force when they know you won't have it for long.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue May 25, 2021 5:24 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3089
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"With all due respect your grace, Sir Ulath is but one man. You have an army already at your disposal. Do you honestly think one more solider will increase your odds of success that drastically?"

Tagging: The Right Questions.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 12:51 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
Felix tries to push on the relative urgency of your mission:

Felix: Leadership: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +4
Bergstor: XXOOO OO


"Your insistence means nothing," counters Bergstor; and by Church law, he's probably right. Non-members of the Church presumably don't get to order Church Knights around.

"M̷y ̴i̸n̷s̷i̵s̸t̶e̶n̷c̶e̸ d̶o̵e̷s̸ n̸o̴t m̴e̴a̵n n̷o̶t̷h̶i̷n̷g," counters Vanire.

Vanire: Leadership: +5 Roll: +0 Legal Eagle: +2 Total: +7
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: -3 Total: +1
Bergstor: XXOOO XO


That makes Bergstor flinch.

Arkady raises his point, basing it this time upon his Empathy...

Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: -2 Total: +2
Bergstor: XXXOO XO

No need to tag any Aspects; Bergstor is looking quite discomforted already.


Then Roger raises the right questions, basing them on his knowledge of historical battles:

Roger: Academics: +4 Roll:-1 Total: +3
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: -2 Total: +2
Bergstor: XXXXO XO

Because of the way the hits roll up, spending a Fate point on an Aspect will not actually allow you to bother Bergstor any further...


Bergstor takes a deep breath, and glares down his nose at you. "And what do you, a bunch of mere civilians, know of the righteousness of the Church? An institution which cannot, by divine mandate, be anything but right?"

Bergstor: Rapport: +0 Roll: -1 Total: -1
Arkady: Resolve: +3 Roll: -1 Total: +2
Arkady: XOXOO OO
Felix: Resolve: +1 Roll: +3 Total: +4
Felix: OXXXO O
Roger: Resolve: +2 Roll: +0 Total: +2
Roger: XOXOO O

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:01 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"It's been my understanding that, while the Elene god has his mandates and laws, he still relies on the followers in his church to follow and enforce said mandates and laws," Felix says. "His followers are still people... and people have the capacity to be wrong. Or corrupted. Take Rendor for example. They still believe they follow the will of the Elene god, despite any and all evidence to the contrary. They're very much wrong, but they think themselves correct."

Felix shrugs.

"We know that plenty members of the church can be well and truly righteous, but we've also seen a fair amount of evidence that not all of them truly are."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu May 27, 2021 1:20 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15320
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks deceptively kindly right now. "Of course. And I am sure that you have heard all about the convocation, when it pleased your God to use us Terrans to find out what Preceptor Vanire needed to stop the election from being purchased with Zemoch gold. Indeed, I'm sure you also heard that it pleased him to use a Terran to stop the corrupt candidate from escaping. And I am being sure you were pleased to hear it; because surely you would not be questioning that He has the absolute right to use any instrument he pleases to ensure that His Church remains "Right"? Even us, with Sir Ulath's help?"
Tagging Many Faces of God, and (Lord forgive him) Defender of the Faith.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 3:00 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
Felix: Rapport: +4 Roll: -2 Total: +2
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5


Bergstor manages to ignore Felix's point by muttering "Heretics!" under his breath - presumably referring to Rendor.

Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: -1 Aspect: Many Faces Of God: +2 Total: +6
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5

Bergstor: XXXXX XO


"A̸n̶d̸ P̴a̷t̷r̴i̴a̵r̴c̴h̸s c̸a̵n s̵t̷i̷l̶l̶, i̶n̶d̵i̶v̸i̵d̴u̵a̸l̷l̵y, ̸b̸e̵ w̵r̸o̴n̸g̸," adds Vanire. "J̶u̸s̸t c̸o̵n̶s̵i̷d̶e̶r t̴h̴e E̵a̸s̴t̴e̷r̷n C̵o̵n̷v̶o̴c̷a̸t̵i̴o̴n̴." Doubtless that refers to some historical incident that Bergstor should be familiar with.

Vanire: Leadership: +5 Roll: -2 Legal Eagle: +2 Total: +5
Bergstor: Resolve: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +4
Bergstor: XXXXX XX


Bergstor glares at your little grouping. He is the veteran of ten thousand theological arguments, a disputer of plentiful experience, and he has taken not the slightest Consequence yet in all this disputation...

...but he has his back to the wall. And he has the Empathy enough to recognise the fragility of his position. That talking box - whatever it is, however it works - will allow Vanire, who also has Patriarchal rank, to order Sir Ulath back onto your mission at any time; and it seems that your quest is (somehow) sufficiently important to the Church to have convinced Vanire to defend said quest.

Bergstor is on the verge of losing his composure, and that will not help his position. He glares at the Terran party, glaring at each individual arguer one by one - Felix, Roger (who gets a doubly nasty glare, for some reason), Arkady, and even the radio falls victim to Bergstor's disapproving eyeballs.

"Perhaps," he concedes, angrily, "the Church may have need of a few of her Knights about other tasks. Make speed, then, to finish those tasks, so that you may join in the castigation of the Rendors once they are completed." He turns his glare on Sir Ulath. "The next time that you approach this camp, I shall take it as given that your tasks are completed and you are ready to join us."

Bergstor sees the writing on the wall and concedes. Sir Ulath is permitted to stay with the group! ...for the moment.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun May 30, 2021 9:50 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15320
Location: Yes.
Arkady indicates the stuff Sir Ulath took from the truck, and tells him: "I think you will be needing that.: Then he turns towards Bergstor. "Your Grace, the Hand of Azash was in the attack on the city. If you see men fighting mindlessly, without any fear, who have bite marks on their neck then it has enslaved them and may be nearby. It is extremely dangerous; and you may want to keep watch for signs of it, just in case."
After any response, he turns to the radio. "Vanire, Arkady here. We need to visit our colony next; and I think it would be best if we talk about what we found with you in person. We can stop by on the way."
Finally he looks at Ivan. I am not supposing you know anyone on this side of the forest who can bring your horse home for you?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 2:26 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
Bergstor just glares.

"I̵'̵l̴l e̶x̷p̸e̵c̶t y̷o̵u ̴s̸h̶o̶r̴t̵l̶y, ̴t̶h̸e̴n̵" says Vanire.

"Uh - nnnnnno," admits Ivan. "Not this far away..."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:18 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15320
Location: Yes.
He shrugs. "Then I guess you will need to ride it. We have to get back to the castle."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:21 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
And so, back towards the Count's Castle you begin to head.

...it turns out that there are people who Ivan can leave his horse with this side of the forest (just closer to said Castle). You can save a couple of days by not traveling back up along that awful road if you prefer. Or you could head along it anyway, if you want to have a chat with the Count en route.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 406 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: