Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:15 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger installs a script that reports the location (as near as can be told) every hour.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 21, 2021 11:39 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady has a thought, and goes to hunt down Zalasbra. "I have a practical question for you. If your ex-student were to hand his tablet to a Zemoch priest, and it was still linked to our ship, how much damage could they do? Especially since someone seems to be giving them hints about our capabilities?"

Post Posted: Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:02 pm 
Roger installs the script with ease. Being a smart and sensible fellow, he also ensures that the tablet saves all the audio it hears, transmitting this to the server at regular intervals.

--------------

"Linked?" asks Zalasbra. "How is it linked to the Ship?"

Once the basic nature of a data link has been explained to Zalasbra (who seems to have been under the impression that every tablet had all that data somehow stored inside of it) he considers the matter for a while, and then he says "I imagine that it can be used to damage the Ship in the same manner as a single rogue Terran could use that link to damage the Ship. The - the nature of this link is not something that will be easily understood, either by the Zemoch priests nor by Azash himself; and what they cannot understand, they cannot pervert. There - you say that this can be used to transmit messages? There are types of magic that can be - that can be attached to words, both written and spoken, to make them - more believable, more - more convincing, something of that sort. But this is - this is usually attached to the paper, or to the direct sound of the speakers voice. This - this displaying of words written in one place upon another place - I do not see how the magic might stay with the words. I do not see any way that this may be used to cause damage at all."

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 2:56 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady thanks Zalasbra, then heads back inside. On the way by, he asks if Roger checked what Blackwell has already downloaded and stored on his tablet; then heads for the cryo pods.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 24, 2021 9:05 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Per Arkday's request, Roger does some snooping to see what's there.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix continues tinkering away at whatever needs repaired.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 25, 2021 3:20 am 
David leaves Arkady with a good meal - not a random meal, but a well-balanced meal, properly calibrated to best meet the needs of someone just awaking from coldsleep. Irina's pod is set to 'awaken', and David leaves Arkady there while the pod does its several-minute-long awakening sequence; David has Stuff to Do (or possible Stuff to Micromanage) and he trusts that Arkady will handle her awakening just fine.

-------------

Roger finds surprisingly little there. A few queries on bombs and guns, a query or two into Inventory (specifically, into the location of certain rifles); and a few queries into mythology, specifically stories about magic.

--------------

Felix continues tinkering.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:51 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady contemplates the food, thinking that they've come a long way from the days of manticore and greens. Though one of these days he may be tempted to observe that when he woke up, they ate monsters and weeds and liked it. He'll see. Ah, it's opening. For a woman who's been frozen solid for thousands of years, she looks pretty good.

"Ark...Arkasha? You're alive..." He hands her her robe and says: "You too, Irya. Even if you feel like using Mat." She shakes her head, then groans a bit. He lets her sit herself up, then when she looks at him he helps her into her robe. "Thanks. Is that mine?" He nods. "Yes, all yours. Are you wanting help?" She looks at him. "Not really, but if your flock can spare you I think I can use some company." He shrugs and wheels the table with the plate on it up to her. "I am thinking they can for now."
A quick grace and some steady eating later, she looks up at him. "So what are you not telling me yet?" He shrugs. "That we missed our target star, we were seen drifting by this world a few thousand years later by some of the locals, they landed us on it very neatly, and then things became strange." She looks at him for a second: "Is this going to explain how you got a tan?" He snorts, takes her hand, and says "I woke up a few weeks ago, and somehow I knew how to speak the local language. A few of us could. We have been busy with the natives while everyone else helped do all the work needed around here. But this is not the place for a long talk. Get dressed, there is a lot for me to show you while I explain." She looks at him for a second, then grins a bit and reaches for her underwear. "You've been awake for weeks, and you want me to get dressed? There must be another woman." He grins back and shrugs. "Well, there is a several century old little girl who is interesting..." She looks up sharply, then shakes her head and goes back to pulling on some pants. "Yes, you do have a lot to show me."

A great deal of show and tell (and a medical checkup) later, the two of them are sitting on a stump outside; holding hands and looking at the new fields. "All right, Arkasha. You win. Things did not go as planned. But I am thinking you are going to have to wait for your prize, because your ancient little girl ate my stakes." He shrugs. "Next time we will just have to be wagering more carefully. But I will take a kiss instead." And the wager is duly settled.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 2:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix continues his mad repair spree in the background, completely ignorant of happy reunion taking place.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:00 pm 
The much-older-than-she-looks little girl turns up soon enough to greet Irina.

Anyone who suggests that the lack of a common language will be an obstacle has clearly not being paying attention. Piper simply holds out her arms to Irina, with a plaintive expression on her face - and who needs words when that's all one needs to do to ask for a hug?

--------------

Next morning, you will have the submarine packed. You will have two doses of sealant, the up-to-the-hour approximate location of Nicholas Blackwell's tablet, and fully-refuelled trucks.

Is there anything else you'd like to do, either before leaving or while on the way?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 27, 2021 5:38 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix will take the last bit of time after he finishes his all-nighter repair spree to get a proper laptop with an uplink to the satellite network to see if there's anything he can do, terrestrial side, to improve it in his spare time.

When that's done he crawls into the truck Theresa is driving for a power nap.

Post Posted: Mon Aug 30, 2021 11:18 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Assuming he can be found before they leave, Arkady (presumably with Irina in tow) hunts down Zalasbra. He introduces the two (giving Irina a chance to show off that she now knows how to say 'good morning'), then asks if there's anything Zalasbra can tell him about the Blue Rose or it's creator that might be of some practical use should they recover it.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 03, 2021 4:29 am 
Zalasbra can be found without too much trouble - he's guarded and cautious, but he does have a few things to say about both Rose and Troll.

"Creator? You give the troll too much credit. He did no more than stumble over a Power whose magnitude he knew not, and torturously carve it into a shape that pleased his eye. Hmmm, of practical use, let me consider... I feel I should warn against overuse of the Rose. It is powerful yes, and it can do as you ask - but doing what you ask is not the same as doing what you want. Many have lost much in their failure to understand that distinction. Above all else it must be kept out of the hands of the Troll, for none of you will like what the Troll asks. The best option? Let it not be used at all until the wording of what is said to the Rose can be thoroughly considered, and not just by a single person. Also, it has been said that the Troll-gods were somehow involved with the - the entrapment, the carving of this power. Trust not the Troll-gods, for they seek only the betterment of Trolls."

--------------

Felix gets a laptop with an uplink. He doesn't think that there's much that can be done to improve the satellite network, at least until such a time that more satellites are launched.

He attempts to start a very uncomfortable nap in the back of one of the trucks.

Post Posted: Sat Sep 04, 2021 7:36 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "No great surprises, then. Now I would like to be asking you a favor. Irina needs to learn Elene to work with the forester the Elene Church will be sending to help us gather food from the forest. Will you teach her?"

Post Posted: Sun Sep 05, 2021 10:01 am 
Zalasbra shakes his head. "After what happened to my last student, I'm not going to take on another Terran student. Not even just for languages. Also, aside from anything else, I will need to track down my former student - somehow - and deal with him; I will not have the time to train another."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG