Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Feb 04, 2022 5:14 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady glances at the fire Ghwerek didn't put out on the screen, and brings along a bucket. He's planning to fill it at the stream on the way, then announcing himself by pouring it on the remains of the fire. "I think a bucket of water hissing on that fire of his will wake him well enough. If not? We can be throwing rocks."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 1:21 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger prepares to fly the drone into the troll's eyes in case a distraction is needed.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 4:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"A sedate but purposeful walk forward and a loud hello outside lunging distance might do the trick."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:37 am 
You make a bit of a detour to get to a part of the stream that's far from the Troll, to fill up Arkady's bucket. Roger has the drone hovering in the air, ready to throw itself forward; the group walks up to the fire, and Arkady throws his bucket of water on it.

There's a *hisssssssssssssss*. And Ghwerek's head pops up from the direction of the stream.

"Man-things," growls the troll. "I will rip off your heads and eat your flesh." He doesn't move to attack immediately; it's possible (even probable) that he has no idea you can speak his language.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 6:27 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady snorts and points to the rising steam. "Your fire still lived. We kept you from boiling alive in a forest fire."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 05, 2022 7:56 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Well, that's an odd way to start a conversation," Felix says. "Hello, Ghwerek. My name is Felix, and we've come to have a chat with you. A... negotiation, if you will."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 4:40 am 
"'Negotiation'. 'Negotiation' means to use sweet words to steal from Ghwerek. I have been 'negotiated' with before." Ghwerek gives the small group of humans a nasty look. "I propose we 'negotiate' with fists and teeth instead. Far more honest."

Well, he hasn't immediately moved to ripping your heads off. That's probably a good sign?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 7:05 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"A straight brawl to decide things does seem a touch simpler," Felix nods. "But I believe that wouldn't be a good idea for either of us. My friends and I share a common enemy with you. An enemy who covets your Blue Rose. An ancient enemy known as Azash."

Felix pauses a short moment for effect.

"He's been seeking it relentlessly and will stop at nothing to get it. We want to end his wars against the rest of mankind and create a chance for peace. You want your Blue Rose to remain safe near your hand. I suggest an alliance. We require a use of the Rose to cure the Queen so she can help lead us in the fight against Azash. In return we'll work to stop Azash and keep him from getting his hands on it. Also, we Terran are expert craftsmen and we can pay you with artifacts you may find interesting if that is something you desire."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 11:40 am 
"You think I don't know that Azash wants the Rose? Ha! Everyone wants the Rose, foolish man-thing. Azash will come for it, and when Azash does, then I will destroy Azash! I will rip off his head and eat of his flesh. None shall take the Rose from my grasp! Not Azash, and..." Ghwerek's eyes narrow. "Not you."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 06, 2022 5:05 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
"Tell him we're prepared to return the Rose to him after we cure the Queen."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 1:20 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"If we say we'll take the Rose for any reason he might attack us," Felix says. "Might be best if he maintains general custody of the Rose, or is at least on hand."

"Azash won't come for the Rose himself. He is a wretch and a coward and prefers to send minions to do his dirty work. Some of his minions are sneaky and cunning. Others have great magic. Still more have great numbers. I assume you've been in the area for some time. Did you see those peasants who were bitten by the Seeker? He can command whole armies of soulless servants to scour the land looking for you and hounding you. All the while those he gifts with his magic are free to strike while you're distracted. Or sleeping. Or eating."

Felix finds a nice rock or log to sit on and places his arms on his knees in a gesture meant to convey he is not currently prepared to seek violence. Meanwhile Theresa takes up a position behind and to his right, acting as a steely eyed sentinel.

"I don't need you to like me. I just want you to work with me. Let us use the Rose to cure the Queen. Work with us to kill Azash, which I suspect the Rose will also be needed for. I'll try to ensure your time with us brings you no betrayal. If you don't like this deal we can always do what you wanted from the beginning and fight over it."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:20 am 
"Ha! Weak and trivial. For centuries Azash has sought the Rose, and for centuries I have kept it hidden from the minions of Azash, you think I cannot do so when the Rose is safely in my grasp? Let him send his minions, I shall rip off their heads and eat of their flesh!"

He keeps a careful eye on you, doubtless ready should you suddenly decide to attack.

"I care nothing for your Queen. But you will not take the Rose from my hands, not while I still live; too long has it been separated from me, too long has it been out of my hands. I have it now, and I will keep it; I will destroy all who seek to take it from me. I know what you seek; you seek to take the Rose out of my sight, and once you have done so I shall never see you again."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 2:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I can talk to the people in charge," Felix says. "Allowances can be made. Insurances provided. We can make it so that you're never out of sight of the Rose. If it is parted from your hand at all you'll never be outside lunging distance of it. If it pleases you I can let you hold my head in your other hand so you can crush my skull and end my life if you suspect trickery."

Felix stares directly into Ghwerek's eyes before continuing.

"I'm offering this deal to you because I like to try and be fair in my dealings with people. If you believe you cannot trust my word then we can settle this through combat. The Rose is necessary for both of us to meet the future, otherwise I'd be content to leave you be."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 7:03 am 
"Ha! You want to die? Bring your skull here and I'll crush it now. Saves time."

Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: +1 Total: +6
Ghwerek: Resolve: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4

Ghwerek's psychology is not completely inhuman. He's been raised in a very different context - and he's incredibly ancient by human reckoning - but there is still something very human at the core of his psychology.

Here and now, Arkady picks up something important. Ghwerek has been betrayed before, and more than once. It doesn't matter what you say, what you promise. Honeyed Words Alone Are Not Enough. If there's a way in which your words can be twisted to your benefit, then Ghwerek will assume that is what you meant - if there isn't a way that your words can be twisted, then Ghwerek will assume that he has simply not spotted the trick. He's been tricked, fooled, hoodwinked, and bamboozled through the centuries by man and god alike; he may never have heard the phrase "shame on you if you fool me once, shame on me if you fool me twice" but he is certainly living by that phrase... and he has lumped all of humanity into the category of "you".

Words - words alone - will never be enough to convince Ghwerek to work with you. You're going to need to find some way of offering him something that he cares about (and you'll probably need to prove that it is something you can offer; simply saying you have it will be dismissed instantly as a lie). There are a lot of roads between here and his cave, though; there will be a lot of further opportunities to talk, if that is what you want...

Post Posted: Mon Feb 07, 2022 12:19 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "Words are cheap, and you've heard enough lies. So tell us what you want. If we agree to a price, we will find you and put it in your hand first. Until then, keep the Rose safe and honor your gods."

Arkady is going to try a cold read, and tag Defensive Pacifist and If You Want Something Done, Do It Yourself at need. He's also looking to tag Ghwerek's trait: loyal follower of the Troll Gods.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG