Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Nov 14, 2021 8:43 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Idly curious, Arkady asks Piper: "Would it affect it if I try to cast Azash out while you're reminding the insect that it's time to grow up?"

Post Posted: Mon Nov 15, 2021 1:16 pm 
Felix: Engineering: +5 Sidekick: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +9

Felix puts together a decent set of restraints. For best results, they should be wielded by someone with a decent score in Weapons; Sir Ulath is pretty good with exotic weaponry, and is probably a good choice. (It's a good thing he didn't join the army against the Rendorish Heresy, isn't it?)

"That's a bad idea," says Piper at once. "Yes, it would distract Azash - and it would leave you wide open. And you can't face Azash directly."

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 12:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix is ready to go.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 3:09 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady grins faintly. "Oh, I could face him. I'd lose. It is lucky for me that there is a better choice available.

After checking whether Sir Ulath wants a chance to practice with the new gear before it's needed, Arkady's ready to go.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 17, 2021 8:18 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger launches the drone and familiarizes himself with the controls for a few minutes. After acclimating to the device, he is now ready as well.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 18, 2021 3:09 pm 
Sam hums to herself, looking around for the best place to flank the insect for a sneak attack and looking through the supplies on hand to rig something up to milk and collect the poison with. If nothing else presents itself, she's going to secure a piece of cloth over the top of a thermos.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:11 am 
The insect's not here, is doubtless heading for the lake, and you'll need to catch up to it before you can subdue it. Sir Ulath takes a bit of time to familiarise himself with the restraints, and before long he's ready, too.

Since everyone is ready, there's a general piling back into the trucks and continuing onward. Piper sits quietly with her eyes closed, making whatever preparations she needs to take a couple of hours to do before meeting up with the Seeker - from the outside, it looks like she's meditating, and for all anyone knows she might well be doing so.

--------------

Roger's drone flies alongside the trucks, keeping an eye out for infrared signatures. Every now and then, he has to have it come back down to recharge (he ends up with a system whereby he simply swaps the battery, and then recharges the spent battery from the truck's alternator as you go). The main source of visible heat all along the way is the trucks themselves; aside from them, Roger also picks out the very occasional animal (most flee from the loud truck noises). No people. There are more dead horses along the road - it looks like they did of exhaustion - and after the first three all have Seeker bites, it's probably not worth stopping to check the others.

Sam secures a cloth and a thermos, along with an elastic to secure the cloth in place.

As predicted, by the time the sun sets, you're still a good distance from the town. A system of night watches is set up, but you are not attacked or bothered overnight.

It is the next day that you approach a small town on the edge of Lake Venne. And it is here that you spot the Seeker.

There is a small rise a short distance before the town. And the Seeker is on this rise, looking out at you, a hooded figure astride a horse with a sickly green glow (the glow being almost invisible in the bright light of day). It looks like the creature is waiting for you.

There is no visible activity in the town, and no immediately visible clue of where the farmers that have been missing all along the road went.

You see the Seeker clearly from quite a distance, and can choose how to approach it.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 8:57 pm 
Roger uses the drone to scout for, er, zombie drones.

Post Posted: Fri Nov 19, 2021 11:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Well, there it is. Or at least a convincing enough illusion of it," Felix says. "Theresa and I should engage from the front with sonic and regular munitions. Catch his attention and verify if it's an illusion. Trigger any traps that might be about. Martel is probably close by, as well. We can try to flush him out as best as we're able."

Post Posted: Sun Nov 21, 2021 11:46 pm 
We should probably be wary of invisible barriers, like the kinetic wall we encountered at the city.

OOG: Wait, could we see that or not? I can't remember.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 12:49 pm 
Roger starts sweeping the drone through the area.

Roger: Alertness: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3

There's... not exactly much in the way of hiding places around here. He looks into a couple of small groups of trees, and finds absolutely no unexpected heat sources hiding in there. But... if Azash can see the future, then could he have foreseen which spinneys Roger would check first and left them deliberately empty?

Theresa and Felix begin to get the sonic and regular munitions together; Theresa suggests that Felix should drive the truck, while she shoots out of the window. For the moment, you're still a good long way away from the Seeker (well out of even pistol range, though a good rifle might cover the distance).

Piper indicates that in order to do her part in the upcoming fight, she will need to be closer - within speaking distance.

Roger will recall that the kinetic barrier around the city was completely invisible to mundane senses. Arkady could probably pick it up if he opened himself up - though that's a bad idea for other reasons - but the rest of you will only pick it up when the barrier stops something.

The Seeker is just... sitting there on horseback. Looking at you.

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 4:25 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady considers the invisible barrier idea for a second, then asks "Can anyone else think of a good reason not to test for a barrier by just shooting at the ground about three meters below and to the right of the horse?"

Post Posted: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 pm 
My gut tells me this is an illusion. There would be more activity otherwise, I assume.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 2:08 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Last time I tried to face the bug directly it was an illusion and I was told that was even more dangerous," Felix says. "I'll be wanting to try and confirm if it's really there or not. Piper, do you think it best if you join us in the truck and head straight for it?"

Felix pauses for a second.

"Speaking distance? Is that literal? Or does it just have to hear your voice?"

Post Posted: Tue Nov 23, 2021 3:54 am 
"There is a barrier against kinetic force," says Piper. "Though it won't do any harm to shoot at it. It's very closely wrapped around the Seeker, though, three metres below and to the right of the horse will miss the barrier entirely. Azash's illusions are more dangerous because the illusion doesn't have to keep itself safe - effectively, the illusion doesn't have to dodge or stop bullets, but it can still do everything that the real thing can do. This seeker does have the kinetic barrier - which makes me think that it's the real one, I don't see Azash putting that amount of effort into protecting an illusion."

"If he can use illusions, then why does he need the real one in the first place?" asks Talen. "Why not just illusion everything?"

"Illusions won't be easy," says Piper. "Especially illusions that are good enough to fool me. Even Azash is going to find that level of illusion hard to pull off without having an original around to copy from. And yes, Felix, 'speaking distance' is literal. He needs to be able to hear my voice, and not a recording or amplification of my voice because that's just the sound."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG