Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:20 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
You return safely and soundly to the Ship, where you find that you have just missed Zalasbra; apparently he left into the forest just yesterday with his putative student, one of the Terrans, because magic isn't something that can be taught within the environs of the Ship. The two of them left no forwarding address, but both promised that they would return, in time.

Also, Felix tells the others that, en route, Piper appeared in his truck; it seems that the reason that she hasn't been with the group is because Roger recently did something to annoy her, and she refuses to reappear in his vicinity until such a time as he apologises. She made no mention of exactly how Roger had annoyed her, only that 'he knows what he said'.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 7:38 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3123
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
CCC wrote:
Also, Felix tells the others that, en route, Piper appeared in his truck; it seems that the reason that she hasn't been with the group is because Roger recently did something to annoy her, and she refuses to reappear in his vicinity until such a time as he apologises. She made no mention of exactly how Roger had annoyed her, only that 'he knows what he said'.

"Wait, WHAT??" Roger pauses.

"Is it because I said you 'grab' trucks? That's just a colloquialism where I'm from there was nothing rude implied by it. I don't understand how magic works at all!" He says to the ether.

In the mean time, he goes to check what the cameras recorded.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:45 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15386
Location: Yes.
Arkady quietly contemplates the joys of studying magic in a language you don't know, touches base with what might now pass for his 'flock', and then unless something else comes up maintains the trucks and weapons they've been using. He also turns in all the spent brass, with the expectation that someone may well ask him to sign for it all.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:02 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3123
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger has a realization.

"It was the line about 'arguing semantics' wasn't it? Okay, I apologize for that. But I was in a hurry." Again, to the ether.

Roger gets to a computer terminal and checks his script.

He sees blackness.

"The hell?"

He goes to find David to ask about it.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix will try to have a talk with Captain Argent, David, and have a look around the ship to see how things have fared in their absence. See what things are being built. Production capacities. What repairs need to be made. He'll also assess defenses and see if there's a good spot to put up an airstrip. Or at least "good" as defined by being better in relation to all the other spots, being as the local terrain doesn't really seem to favor airfield construction.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jun 15, 2020 10:17 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
Dodger77 wrote:
"Wait, WHAT??" Roger pauses.

"Is it because I said you 'grab' trucks? That's just a colloquialism where I'm from there was nothing rude implied by it. I don't understand how magic works at all!" He says to the ether.

In the mean time, he goes to check what the cameras recorded.


The ether does not respond.

A thorough check-up on the camera script reveals that the camera script is still running just fine. However, there was a period when Piper (apparently mistaking the cameras for coat-hooks) made a deliberate point of hanging coats over them; and unfortunately, this includes every time when the camera script actually activated. David seems to have made a point of removing the coats when he saw them; nonetheless, there was no visibility when the root account was last accessed.

Weremensh wrote:
Arkady quietly contemplates the joys of studying magic in a language you don't know, touches base with what might now pass for his 'flock', and then unless something else comes up maintains the trucks and weapons they've been using. He also turns in all the spent brass, with the expectation that someone may well ask him to sign for it all.


Arkady's flock includes a couple of people who are willing to help polish up the equipment in exchange for some stories about the world outside of the forest, so the whole passes rather quickly. David accept the spent brass (in a manner that suggests he will merely be updating a record in some spreadsheet somewhere) and merely asks for a summary of what's been going on.

Dodger77 wrote:
Roger has a realization.

"It was the line about 'arguing semantics' wasn't it? Okay, I apologize for that. But I was in a hurry." Again, to the ether.


"That's not a proper apology," huffs the ether.

Kajin wrote:
Felix will try to have a talk with Captain Argent, David, and have a look around the ship to see how things have fared in their absence. See what things are being built. Production capacities. What repairs need to be made. He'll also assess defenses and see if there's a good spot to put up an airstrip. Or at least "good" as defined by being better in relation to all the other spots, being as the local terrain doesn't really seem to favor airfield construction.


The colony has grown into a very small village. If the Ship were to suddenly vanish tomorrow, with all its contents, then that would still be a devastating blow; but now, at least, there's a chance that the Earth-human population would be able to survive that disaster (without having to move into one of the native cities). Since the Ship has shown no signs of vanishing, however, that seems a rather unlikely contingency.

As far as defenses go, the colony is surrounded be a simple log fence and a moat. There are a few telescopes around the top of the Ship, looking out (and incidentally broadcasting what they can see over wifi for anyone close to the Ship to pick up), and there are a number of rifles shared out among the hunters which can be used in an emergency. It wouldn't hold up against one of Earth's armies, but against mere knights or footsoldiers its quite effective. (Also effective against manticores - a second one of those tried investigating the camp, and became the source of the steaks you have over supper).


Last edited by CCC on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix helps with the vehicles, including restocking all the things they used up. Then he starts preparing for a much longer trip abroad, since it may be some time before they come back.

He also tries to find something on the ship to repair. Felix is an engineer. He likes to build things. Repair things. Improve things. It's been so long since he's had a decent workshop and a project to work on that if he doesn't find something mechanical to work on he might possibly start screaming. With that in mind, Felix moves to examine the power inputs and electrical grid to see if there's anything there he can fix or improve.

Engineering roll to establish the Solar Sails aspect and discover the ship can lift free the topside solar panels from the hull for greater power generation, more space on the outer hull to work on, and a large mast-like structure that just all around looks pretty neat.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:33 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3123
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger falls to his knees. He raises his arms straight up into the air and then leans forward until he is bowing on the ground.

This humble mortal begs the forgiveness of the mighty player of the wind instrument and hopes that she can, in her infinite wisdom, see to forgiving the mortal for his egregious transgressions. I am not worthy. I am not worthy. I am not worthy.

Roger raises and lowers his torso with each "I am not worthy."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:29 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15386
Location: Yes.
Arkady sees Roger from some distance, decides that he doesn't want to know, and sets about making a written translation of some of Aesop's fables into Elene. Then after a bit he stops, sighs, finds David, and asks when his wife is scheduled to be woken up.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:31 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
Kajin wrote:
Engineering roll to establish the Solar Sails aspect and discover the ship can lift free the topside solar panels from the hull for greater power generation, more space on the outer hull to work on, and a large mast-like structure that just all around looks pretty neat.


This is going to require a very good roll.

Felix: Engineering: +5 Roll: +2 Theresa: +4 Total: +11 Target: +10

Wow.


This turns out to be quite a job, to put it simply. Parts of the mechanisms requires have cold-welded to each other, and even getting to them is a job and a half. Even with his knowledge of Engineering, he needs the help of an assistant to get this together again.

And frankly, given the state the mechanisms are in, Felix can see exactly why it was never repaired until now.

But, somehow, with the help of a number of spare arts, some creative and colourful language, and in one case simply knowing exactly where to apply percussive maintenance... Felix gets the solar sails up.

David is very impressed; he'd had another engineering team investigate that possibility a week ago, and they'd outright told him it was impossible.

Dodger77 wrote:
Roger falls to his knees. He raises his arms straight up into the air and then leans forward until he is bowing on the ground.

This humble mortal begs the forgiveness of the mighty player of the wind instrument and hopes that she can, in her infinite wisdom, see to forgiving the mortal for his egregious transgressions. I am not worthy. I am not worthy. I am not worthy.

Roger raises and lowers his torso with each "I am not worthy."


The ether giggles. One time when Roger raises his head after lowering it again, Piper is there, grinning madly. "Now that's a proper apology!" she says, quite happily. "The only thing left to make it better is to give me a hug."

(Please also take note of the edit to the camera script plotline in my previous post, above. I'd honestly forgotten an important point, there.)

Weremensh wrote:
Arkady sees Roger from some distance, decides that he doesn't want to know, and sets about making a written translation of some of Aesop's fables into Elene. Then after a bit he stops, sighs, finds David, and asks when his wife is scheduled to be woken up.


"We've been picking out those people most necessary to grow the colony," says David. "People who can survive in... substantially lesser conditions than they might have grown up in on Earth. However, we have now reached the point where it is, uh, less critical that every last person be helping us ramp up food production with all due speed."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 27, 2020 10:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15386
Location: Yes.
Arkady shrugs. "She grew up on the remains of a collective farm. I do not think she will be hindering food production or demanding luxury. So how will this be working? Should I fill out a form, or will a request be good enough?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:08 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix rolls his shoulders, working out some knots that had developed in the muscles from all that maneuvering in cramped quarters. He lets out what can only be described as a contented sigh, then cleans himself up and heads to Captain Argent for a talk.

Felix will update Argent on recent political shenanigans. The head of the local church may well be favorably inclined towards the colony. The local regent has been arrested, will soon be tried, and likely excommunicated on grounds of various heretical and criminal acts. By the by, the local leader in Cimmura, Lycheas, could probably be convinced to come to the ship for a tour. He's a young man who would almost certainly be interested in the wonders of Terran technology and how it could benefit Cimmura if he invested in us. We could stand to present him with some video games as a sample and see if he'd be interested in coming.

Also, since Felix fixed the mechanism that raised the solar panels off the top of the ship, maybe it would be a good idea to invest in some defenses up there. Walkways, buttresses, machine gun and mortar pillbox emplacements. Stretch them out in a ring lining the entire top of the ship. In the event of an extended attack the ability to project force from anywhere atop the ship at an elevated position would serve as an effective force multiplier. Also there's bound to be more than a couple hatches leading directly up there from within the ship, so putting people up there wouldn't be a bad idea.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 3:19 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3123
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger gives Piper a big bear hug, lifts her up and spins and then sets her down. "Good. I'm glad that's behind us now."

He then goes off to find David to figure out why the camera feeds are all blacked out.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:04 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
Weremensh wrote:
Arkady shrugs. "She grew up on the remains of a collective farm. I do not think she will be hindering food production or demanding luxury. So how will this be working? Should I fill out a form, or will a request be good enough?"


"A request will be sufficient," nods David, "if it's accompanied by a good enough reason. I understand that you appreciate her company, but she's perfectly safe where she is now - how does it benefit the colony to have her awake now instead of, say, a month or six months from now?"

Kajin wrote:
He lets out what can only be described as a contented sigh, then cleans himself up and heads to Captain Argent for a talk.


Captain Argent nods, smiles, and says "Well done" in a way that suggests that he has absolutely no idea just how much of a miracle Felix just pulled off. He suggests that the specifics of Felix's ideas should be best discussed with David, his personal assistant, and politely asks Felix to please not try destabilising the politics of any other nations while he's out there.

--------------

Dodger77 wrote:
Roger gives Piper a big bear hug, lifts her up and spins and then sets her down. "Good. I'm glad that's behind us now."

He then goes off to find David to figure out why the camera feeds are all blacked out.


Piper hugs back, and then happily accompanies Roger on his quest. Roger finds David quickly enough; David is busy talking with Arkady at the moment.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 26, 2020 9:19 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3123
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger stands near Arkady and David, waiting for them to finish their conversation.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 518 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron