Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat May 16, 2020 6:54 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix thinks for a moment.

"What if we... arranged a diplomatic visit? With Lycheas and our people? To show him the wonders of our technology? A boy his age would find all kinds of wondrous technologies to study and inspect. From our production capabilities to our entertainment facilities."

Felix smiles.

"He might rather enjoy some moving theater and video oriented game activities. Such things were the highlight of my childhood and I hold no doubt he'd find them fascinating. Meanwhile, I can't imagine what legal right Raven or his fellows would have in our colony. It isn't his land, after all. And the leader of Elenia would require a large following of Pandion Knights to protect him, I imagine."

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 2:37 am 
Vanire shakes his head. "Without the Church, Raven is... nobody. No noble blood, or, at least, none that anyone could ever find out about. The problem is that he's a nobody who was heavily involved in the management of the Palace for years; once he gets there, there's a decent chance he knows which guards could be persuaded to let him in to an audience with Lycheas, and from there, well..."

"Arranging to have Lycheas out of the Palace when Raven returns is a good idea," he nods, "and likely to be successful for a while, at least. You can easily turn Raven away if he turns up in person, but you might have a harder time with some of his noble allies."

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:54 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"What if we spin it off into it's own little campaign?" Felix asks. "Introduce Lycheas to the things the Terrans can do for the people, then go on a tour around the nations talking to everyone we can about what can be done to aid the realm using Terran knowledge?"

Felix scratches his chin.

"So we can nail two birds with one stone. Play keep away using our vehicles so Raven and any of his retainers will be unable to get near Lycheas... while simultaneously working to bolster the allied nations wherever possible."

Post Posted: Sun May 17, 2020 3:07 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady considers for a second, then asks: "If we are babysitting the regent, then who is looking for the Rose? A few days to show him the ship and find him a few toys sounds like a good idea, but then the Terrans who speak Elene will be needing to go. But I am thinking we can find suitable Elenes to take over. First there is Earl Lenda. He knows who is who, and we can help him become more influential easily enough. Then it is looking like Elenia will need a new Primate. Perhaps if a better one is appointed quickly, preferably one with their own connections in the palace, then we can let them keep the little prince away from Raven while we try to save the Queen."

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 5:03 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix leans his head to the side and spreads his hands, as though the thought should have been self evident.

"Three birds, then," Felix says. "We don't have any actual leads, so going on a tour of the nations would be a decent idea for trying to pick up clues. Maybe we start with the last nation the Blue Rose was known to be found in? Meanwhile we keep Raven away from Lycheas so that no harm can come from that direction and our people have a chance to give a good show and look for sponsors that would allow us to do what we do best in defense of the realm."

Post Posted: Mon May 18, 2020 2:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady considers a second, then: "So while he is being kept away, who will be the regent's regent?"

Post Posted: Thu May 21, 2020 2:38 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Who that role should fall to isn't really our area of expertise," Felix says. "I would imagine someone who is generally trusted who would have excuse to talk to the kid and give him guidance."

Felix nods to Vanire.

"Is that possible? Someone that can be trusted to give Lycheas guidance and probably isn't afraid of a little personal risk for the greater good of the realm? Someone that the people and the courts wouldn't overly object to acting in a capacity of advisor. Or at least not be able to do much about it."

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 3:38 am 
"Lenda is a consummate politician," says Vanire. "However, he's also an old man, and not very strong. He's stayed alive for so long mainly because he has very carefully not been a direct threat to anyone's ambitions - he holds almost no direct power, but he understands very well how to blunt the worst excesses of power - as a regent, he would almost certainly be swiftly assassinated. As such, he would refuse the position if offered to him - he has been asked before. The only people I can think of who would stand a decent chance of surviving in the Regency are various of my Pandion Knight. However, any such plan cannot possibly be more than a stopgap; the only way to permanently cut Raven off from the throne is to restore - and protect - the Queen."

"As for the Blue Rose; according to the known histories, it was part of the crown jewels of Thalasia five hundred years ago. The King of the time, a very large fellow named Sarak, took it with him when he went to face the Zemochs in war... but he never reached the warfront. Exactly what happened to him on that journey has been something of a mystery, but over the last five hundred years there have been any number of treasure hunters looking for the Rose - just about every last inch of his planned route has probably been dug over a dozen times."

Post Posted: Fri May 22, 2020 10:48 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady considers for a second, then says "Perhaps we should translate Aesop into Elene then go visit Castle Dracula. He may have a useful clue or two." Then he tells Vanier: "Count Stokes reminds us of someone from back home."

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:02 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Right now a stopgap is better than nothing," Felix says. "We have the advantage of speed but the more time we can buy until we save the Queen the better. We already put one thumb in the adversary's eye. I'd like a go at two. If you're willing, I'd like to work out arrangements for this game of keep away with Lycheas when it becomes feasible."

Felix turns to Arkady.

"I don't believe Count Stokes had much to offer on the legend of the Blue Rose that wasn't already common knowledge," Felix says. "He could maybe give us some leads on who to talk to for possible leads, though..."

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:38 am 
"As long as it doesn't delay saving the Queen for more time than it delay our opponents," nods Vanire. "I'm... of course not familiar with this 'Dracula', but I hope he was as honourable as the Count. And right now, any lead would be good."

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:44 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "I mentioned the Blue Rose once, but we never asked him about it. And if you're right we're still better off than we are now."

He smiles at Vanire. "Dracula was a king perhaps 500 years before we left. His name was later used in a monster story, and one of the men who acted that role looked like Count Stokes. It is his sister that is being the monster, not the count."

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:21 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I don't imagine it would cause any significant delays," Felix says. "I'd been wanting to head back to the ship to try and set up some additional measures to help us in the long run. We could use that time to set up a caravan to help keep Lycheas protected from rogue elements then go about searching for the Blue Rose with all the technological prowess the colony can offer us."

Felix smiles.

"We might also keep an eye out for other magical artifacts. While we were told the Blue Rose is the only way to cure the Queen for sure, I think a lesser artifact combined with Terran medicine could work in a pinch. That should be the last resort, however."

Post Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:42 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady has a thought. "I am wondering if there is one here in the city after all...not all bribes are in gold, and who is knowing what Raven might have in his personal effects? It is not as if he is obeying the rules against learning to cast spells."

He looks at Vanire. "I am thinking that while he is under arrest, your order should look carefully at his belongings. And it might be wise for someone in the Church, with permission to work magic, to be hinting that if the patriarchs who chose unwisely were to 'find' a magic item then this would be a good way and time to do it." Then he turns to their pet thief. "And I am also thinking your contacts in the city should be on the lookout for things Raven may be hiding. Your master will have a lot more to be thanked for if we finally cure her with power he provided."

Post Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:08 am 
"So he really looks the part of an actor?" asks Vanire. "An odd coincidence. But no doubt no more than that. We will certainly look or magical items among his belongings - though I strongly doubt he could have bribed the Patriarchs with magic. He may be ignoring the Church's rules about magic, but it's hard to believe that the Patriarchs are - though, in fairness, this whole thing's been hard to believe. We'll certainly look."

"Sure, guv," nods Talen. "What would the magic items look like?"

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG