Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 9:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix wrote:
Just traps for now. They're advancing slowly and cautiously because of what's already been done to them. Still outside crossbow range and I'm afraid if I use my rifle they'll just begin an assault immediately and scale the Inner Wall. Biding my time. Trying to come up with more materials.

Use it all if you have to. We can figure out the problems that come later if it really comes down to it.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:23 am 
News comes in to the Basilica about the outer city falling to the invaders. Three of the Patriarchs are incensed at this, loudly denouncing the Church Knights for allowing it - it turns out that all three have their estates in the outer city, and are upset at their homes being looted.

Raven (though his mouthpiece, Makova) again promises that he can deal with the invasion if elected. Another vote is held around noon, and the three angry Patriarchs defiantly and firmly vote for Raven.

...this is less disastrous than it may appear, since two of them were already voting for Raven. Still, he's gained one more vote, and those two can be crossed off Arkady's re-bribable list. (It's still a long list).

Raven still doesn't quite have the votes to be elected Arch-Prelate. But he's getting closer. One or two more losses in the battle outside might sway enough opinions to get him there.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:46 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady texts Felix:
Arkady wrote:
No one ever made me a general, but I am thinking that if they could simply charge the wall they would have. They would have to expose their leaders for a charge or their followers would ignore their orders, and they know if they did we would slaughter them. The champion of Azash has seen us shoot. Meanwhile we lost another vote because they're in the outer city; we can not afford to let them reach the inner city wall on their terms or we will lose the election before I can bribe anyone.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:33 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady sees Felix walk in and looks a bit surprised. "Welcome to the circus. There is a new plan?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:20 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I was getting frustrated with the outside situation, so I wanted to get a change of perspective and see if there was anything I could do over here," Felix says, looking somewhat haggard. "The others are keeping an eye on the situation outside and working on extending our meager armaments."

Felix sighs.

"What about these people you think we can bribe? Anything change there?"

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:31 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "Three patriarchs have gotten mad that Raven's army is looting their homes, so they are voting for him because of it. Two of them were already his clients. It is like watching a rich farmer who wants to bring back Stalin so he will protect them from the poor." He shakes his head and then says "But I think we can still easily buy..." he provides the names. "We are just needing to make sure Ortzel and Dolmant don't hear of it."

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 5:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix nods.

"You wanna get started? Between the both of us I think we could convince a good number of them to see our side of things."

Felix looks around for a private meeting room that people interested in "charitable donations" could be invited to.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:16 am 
There are not private meeting rooms, as such. However, the guest galleries are very large and mostly empty; it won't be hard to find a remote corner where you can talk to one of the Patriarchs in a quiet voice without anyone being able to hear you. (Well. Anyone with normal human hearing.)

You can't hide who you're talking to. But you can hide what you're saying.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:21 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks around. "It may be hard to hide what happened if we talk with them here and then they are switching their votes." Then another thought crosses his mind. "Delivering their gold tonight will be fun, too. I wonder how much they took in the first place?"

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I don't think that's going to be an overly huge problem," Felix says. "It seems to be common knowledge among the Patriarchs that more than a few of them are accepting bribes. If it even becomes a problem for us, we could just as easily frame it as having discussions about what possible benefits sponsoring Ortzel could have for the Church. And by 'Church' I mean the pockets of the Patriarchs willing to back us."

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:26 am 
While you two chat quietly, you might notice that Raven is frantically sending down a large number of written notes. Some to Makova, who is continuing to push the idea of forming a united front to vote for a single ArchPrelate "in the current circumstances" and leaning heavily on the idea that the current leadership crisis is to blame for the "rumours of unruly pilgrims causing disturbances in the Outer City". He outright blames the "current ineffectiveness of the Church troops in maintaining order" on the "lack of firm leadership", and praises Raven for his foresight in bringing a number of his own troops into the city to "maintain proper order", incidentally reminding everyone that Raven's troops make up the bulk of the current city defenses.

Raven's other notes go down to Undul, to some members of his unaligned factions, and to several other Patriarchs who aren't voting for him. Both Dolmant and Ortzel throw Raven's notes away unread, but several members of Undul's group raise their eyebrows at the contents of the notes that Raven is sending them.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 3:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix eyes the situation as it unfolds.

"I think it better to throw caution to the wind and worry about consequences down the line... Think I should pen some letters about the defensive abilities of the Terran and invite up for a chat a few possible patrons?"

If Arkady has no objections, Felix will get with Theresa and start penning letters to vulnerable Patriarchs. Try to convince them of their safety. Try to talk up the group's own abilities in fending off enemies if Arkady allows. Tell them to ask Ortzel and Sir Vanire if they vouch for Terran ability... and maybe try and invite some up to discuss the prospects of Terran contributions to the church.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:59 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady glances out at that mess, then asks 'What is happening out there, Felix? We may be able to use it."

Post Posted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:30 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix fills Arkady in on the details.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:53 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods as he listens then looks thoughtful. "Their god can't be happy that Azash is coming into his city. Let's be giving him a chance to act on that and Ortzel a chance to look good; all he has to do is openly ask who is on both sides, then if his god answers have Raven excommunicated. Azash no longer has an ally in here and is tossed back over the wall, and Ortzel is looking like the man the god wants. Compared to Raven, I am sure he is. Besides, it will be saving all that gold for the proper uses of his church, which should also make their god happy."
Then he shrugs. "And if he doesn't answer, we can be guessing that he is wanting us to use the gold for bribes. Let's send Ortzel a letter; tell him about the champion, how he in the city, and that he should be openly praying for help and guidance. And that should be ready to call for Raven's excommunication...unless their god takes matters in his own hand."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG