Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:24 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger keeps shooting until the catapult is ready to fire. At which point he will duck down off of the wall and wait for the boulder to land. If the MG is small enough to carry, he will take it with him. Otherwise he will leave it. If the boulder misses the gun , he will return to the gun and open fire again.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 3:47 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Hey Piper, can you ask if the local god has anything to add on this end? If I shoot at the barrier could I consider that as "actively contesting" their entry enough that he'd put holes in the barrier where I'm shooting?"

With that said, Felix rattles off a few bursts at the incoming Seeker victims to try and slow their advance.

He'll wait a few moments for a response from Arkady about Sir Sparhawk and if it looks like trouble on that end he'll head back, but for now he's gonna try and hold the enemy off.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:08 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
On Coms:

"Oh that reminds me. Arkady, Piper said the Elene god thinks it isn't kosher to answer the prayers of a non-believer. So if you could ask all the faithful in your vicinity to pray for victory and be SPECIFIC with requests, I think it would go a long way."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:11 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
Roger hurries along to another patch of wall, well in advance of the catapult. Those things take long enough to aim that they're completely useless against a small, mobile target like a guy with a machine gun.

...surely an accomplished warrior like Martel knows that? Why would he even bother?

Then Martel fires the catapult. As the boulder flies through the air, before it passes through the kinetic barrier, the Seeker gestures with one claw... and the boulder's trajectory bends in a very un-boulderlike way.

But not towards Roger. No, the boulder is heading directly for Felix.

Felix: Alertness: +2 Roll: +0 Total: +2
Target: +0


The boulder is not hard to miss. However, dodging it will require a bit of very quick movement; Felix grabs his gun and runs to the side.

Felix: Athletics: +1 Roll: -3 Total: -2
Seeker: Aim: +5 Distracted: -2 Roll: +2 Total: +5


Felix trips over his own feet, stumbles, and falls.

The good news is, he manages to fall down on the inside of the wall, rather than the outside. The better news is, his fall is broken - he lands on a rooftop only a metre below the edge of the wall, rolls down to the edge of that, and then drops onto a small table full of pies (which breaks underneath him). All of which means that he's not on the wall when the boulder smashes into exactly where he was standing.

...he's pretty sure that the baker isn't going to be happy with him. But he's still got hold of his machine gun, and can head up the stairs to the top of the wall again, if he wants. (But not the same spot as before, because that bit of walkway has been crushed).

Felix: Minor consequence: Bruised

Though Felix's attempt to fire at the army was interrupted by an incoming boulder, the same cannot be said for Roger.

Roger: Guns: +2 Roll: -2 Total: +0

Roger's not sure how useful he's being at this point. He keeps shooting, but the Seeker's army are approaching to the point where they can put ladders against the walls...

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 3:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix groans and rolls off of the small table of pies, landing with a bit of inelegance on the floor with a small thud.

Yup. Gonna be feeling that in the morning.

Did the boulder change direction in midair? That is entirely unfair.

Felix sighs, sits up and looks around. Is anyone nearby? If not, he grabs a bit of the broken pie to snack on. It's not like the baker can sell it anymore, right? He'll make note of the shop so he can pay the proprietor back later. As he's doing this a figure walks up to him and extends a slender hand. Felix smiles and reaches up so that Theresa can grab him by the forearm and help him to his feet. They exchange a wordless nod and head back up the wall to hold the line.


Last edited by Kajin on Tue Feb 18, 2020 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 9:57 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger's going to keep firing. He's also going to be extra mindful of the boulders.


OOG: I thought the pies were Piper's doing for a second :D

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 2:37 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
The baker is visible. Inside the shop. Behind the counter. Standing up as Felix watches, clearly angry.

A glance is sufficient to tell Felix that if he doesn't get out of here in double-quick time, he is at the very least going to be yelled at by the baker for a good ten minutes. Frankly, the situation on the wall won't allow him to be delayed by as long as a full ten minutes. He and Theresa run for the top of the wall again.

Roger keeps firing.

Roger: Guns: +2 Roll: +0 Total: +2

Even as the first ladders begin to clack against the wall, Roger carves out a small gap in the advance... and then another pair of guns join the fray.

Felix: Guns: +2 Personal gadget: +4 Theresa: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +10

Frankly, Felix and Theresa between them make Roger's efforts look kind of silly. Where Roger had opened a small hole in the advance, enough to give the defenders a chance - Felix and Theresa mow down the advance like a combine harvester mowing down wheat.

The Seeker's army is down.

But where they marched, right up to the inner wall - the Seeker now knows there are no traps. The kinetic barrier snaps forward, to just behind where the troops had marched - mere metres from the wall.

Martel's catapult fires a second boulder. Again, the target is Felix. This time, the Seeker is not distracted by maintaining control over an entire army at the same time...

Felix: Athletics: +1 Theresa: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +4
Seeker: Aim: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4


However, this time Felix is expecting it. He and Theresa run briskly along the wall, easily evading the giant boulder.

...Martel, his mercenaries, and the Seeker are all behind the kinetic barrier. Though one catapult is busy trying to eliminate Felix, the other continues to batter at the wall. If there's no way to stop those catapults, then the enemy will eventually breach the walls - it's only a matter of time.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 1:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix sets about trying to finagle a way to counter the catapults.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 23, 2020 11:52 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
Frankly, the turret was a bad idea from the start. Sure, it'll fire missiles at large moving targets. To prevent it from firing missiles at the defenders, though, the size requirement for a "large" target had to be set well above the size of a human. Which then means that it's not firing missiles at the enemy (and, indeed, it can't do so).

If the enemy hadn't been using catapults, it would have been utterly useless; a white elephant that Felix would have lugged all around for nothing.

Fortunately, the enemy is using catapults, so there is something for the turret to do.

Unfortunately, against hunks of stone that large, the missiles can do little more than redirect them, making them easier to dodge.

Roger finds himself unsure what to do now. The enemy are all safely behind their kinetic shield, so shooting more won't help.

"Can you think of anything we can do about the Seeker?" asks Piper. "This may well be the best time to deal with it... when we're in a place it can't directly affect."

Felix finds himself dodging yet another boulder:

Felix: Athletics: +1 Theresa: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +7
Seeker: Aim: +5 Turret Disrupted: -2 Roll: -2 Total: +1


The Seeker howls in anger as the boulder thumps into the wall far from where Felix and Theresa stand by their turret. But despite the Seeker's current anger, it's only a matter of time until it hits; there seems little reason for it to leave.

And Martel's mercenaries step forward. Still behind the kinetic barrier, they raise their crossbows and start firing at his command. Taking his cue from the Seeker, Martel's target is Felix.

Martel: Crossbows: +3 Minions (large group): +4 Roll: -1 Total: +6
Felix: Athletics: +1 Theresa: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +4
Felix: OXOOO O Minor consequence: Bruised


Dozens of crossbow bolts fill the air around Felix, some ripping at his sleeves. These will be way harder to dodge than the catapults. You need a way to attack that doesn't rely on kinetic energy and you need it fast.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:28 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
CCC wrote:
"Can you think of anything we can do about the Seeker?" asks Piper. "This may well be the best time to deal with it... when we're in a place it can't directly affect."


"I feel like I should be the one asking you that question. You said it can see multiple timelines and avoid ones detrimental to its health, so short of sending a bullet back i time I have no idea how to kill it. I have one barrel of the gas we used before, but with the kinetic shield our only option is to deploy it defensively should the thing advance beyond the shield which I doubt it will do. And since the gas doesn't bother humans too much I doubt the zom bees would be harmed by it. I am frankly out of ideas. I don't suppose your God has a suggestion, does he?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 12:48 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix ducks behind cover since standing in the open won't do him much for the time being.

"Well, it's a kinetic barrier. If I'd known ahead of time to prep for it I could deal with it pretty easily. Heat rays. Sonic cannons. Radiation. Lightning. That sort of thing."

Felix starts digging around in his kit, trying to find something... anything... that could be cobbled into something else.

"As has been said, the Seeker prevents itself from being injured or killed via future sight and the barrier keeps me from projecting much in the way of force that relies on physical projectiles. Disabling it without harming it isn't the problem. I could do that in any one of a thousand different manners. It's getting to the Seeker so that I can do that that's the problem."

Felix keeps searching for a way to do whatever it is he can do. Mirrors to project heat. Instruments to project sound. Whatever mechanics he can use to cobble together a gadget that can project some kind of energy that could maybe disable the Seeker.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:49 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
"Azash can see multiple timelines and actively avoid the ones where the Seeker dies," says Piper. "Only the ones where it dies. Not the ones where it is just wounded. Also, my religion is centred around the worship of a goddess, not a god."

Felix finds that he has enough stuff (if he rips out the guts of his missile launcher for spare parts) to cobble together, among other things, a ranged sonic stunner.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix finishes slapping together his new device and hopes against hope that it's good for more than one use. A long ranged sonic stun gun capable of completely knocking unconscious any entity hit by it. Felix and Theresa take the device and head back to the wall. They take a quick look around to orient themselves and locate the Seeker and Martel before darting out and opening fire on the Seeker, hoping to completely incapacitate it before the barrier can readjust and block the new attack.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:23 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
CCC wrote:
" Also, my religion is centred around the worship of a goddess, not a god."

"I beg both of your pardons."

Roger runs to get the barrel of anti-seeker gas. He should probably have it handy.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:21 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
Felix tears out the guts from his turret and begins to prepare a sonic rifle.

However, he almost immediately has to move very rapidly...

Felix: Athletics: +1 Theresa: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +7
Seeker: Aim: +5 Roll: +2 Total: +7
Felix: OXOOO O Minor consequence: Bruised


...that was far too close for comfort.

Still, with amazing speed, he cobbles together a basic sonic disruptor and fires it at the Seeker...

Felix: Guns: +2 Personal gadget: +4 Theresa: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +9
Seeker: SCREEEEEEEEEEECH! (Defensive skill: ??? Roll: -3 Total: Nowhere near enough)
Seeker: Endurance: ??? Minor consequence: Disorientated


Martel's crossbowmen don't let up, still concentrating their aim on Felix:

Martel: Crossbows: +3 Minions (large group): +4 Roll: +2 Total: +9
Felix: Athletics: +1 Theresa: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +5
Felix: OXOXO O Minor consequence: Bruised


If it weren't for Theresa shoving Felix aside, one of those bolts could well have hit him. He cannot keep this up forever.

Hopefully, he won't have to; Roger's already gone down to grab the barrel of insecticide herbs.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: