Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:53 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix frowns.

This is probably a trap. Or some kind of trick.

Felix tells Theresa to get ready to rabbit them out of there at a moment's notice. He glances warily around the surroundings before he swaps to the sonic rifle and takes aim at the Seeker. He unleashes a sonic barrage at it to see how it reacts.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:20 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
The first thing that Felix (and Theresa) both notice is that there is no longer a path behind them - rather, they find themselves to be in a dead end with the Seeker blocking the exit. There's nothing but a brick wall behind them (which may or may not be an illusion, but it certainly looks real).

The Seeker's response to the sonic barrage is to raise its right arm (there's no sign of pain, or damage, at all). There's a greenish glow from it's hand, and both Felix and Theresa feel a sudden impulse to walk closer to the Seeker... so far, it's not hard to resist the impulse.

Roger continues to watch out for Martel. Perhaps two minutes have passed.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 4:36 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
This situation is less than ideal.

Felix has Theresa ride the motorcycle up to the wall behind them to try and see if it's solid. As she does so he puts away the sonic rifle and grabs the regular one. Instead of aiming at the Seeker itself, he aims at the hems of it's robes to see if he can get them to twitch from the movement of the bullets.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:18 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
Theresa runs her hands over the wall, and reports that it certainly feels solid.

Felix fires a few shots at the hem of the Seeker's robe. The Seeker's robes do not twitch, even when the bullets pass right through them - though the Seeker does ripple a little when a bullet passes through its leg.

The Seeker simply... patiently... waits for you to succumb to the glow and approach it.

---------------

Meanwhile, over on the walls, Roger hears a few gunshots from the direction that Felix had vanished into.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:58 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Felix? Teresa? Come in. I heard shots. Everything alright?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:28 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
Roger's voice crackles in Felix's radio. He's audible, though there's quite a bit of static.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:11 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I've come face to face with... something. It looks like the Seeker, but I think it's just an illusion meant to stall us. Could also be a trap. I'm testing various things. Gonna proceed forward. Wish me luck."

Felix bids Theresa to head forward. If the Seeker is just an illusion then they can get through without trouble. If it's a trap then they're about to spring it and he's all out of tricks. Felix keeps his eyes open and readies himself to combat whatever he has to. He'll keep himself wary of the bidding presence of the Seeker and see if it starts mounting in pressure. He and Theresa refrain from looking directly at the light if possible.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 12:06 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
As Felix steps forward towards the Seeker, he experiences a moment of uncertainty. The green glow is still pulling them closer; it's clear that walking up to the thing is exactly what it wants them to do. How much of this decision was his, and how much due to the subtle influence of that glow?

-------------

Back on the wall, Piper tugs urgently at Roger's sleeve. "Tell him not to do that! Azash's illusions are more dangerous than the things they look like!"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 7:21 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Felix, Piper says that the illusions of Azash are even more dangerous than the real thing. Stay Away! Do you copy?"

OOG: Does Roger have easy access to one of the trucks?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 2:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix shakes his head, trying to clear his thoughts of any influence that might be coming over him. Getting turned into a mind control thrall, via magic or otherwise, would be most undesirable. Then Roger's voice crackles over the radio and Felix starts to worry a fair bit more.

Yeah, this was probably a bad idea.

"Theresa, let's turn back and examine that wall a bit more closely."

They turn back and retreat farther from the Seeker illusion towards the wall pinning them in. Felix places his hand against the wall and tries to figure it out himself alongside Theresa. There's magic involved. Everything in existence obeys fundamental laws and forces. Everything has rules. Rules have loopholes. Loopholes can be exploited by human ingenuity.

Everything has rules.

Rules have loopholes.

Sciences takes those rules and loopholes and forges great things from seemingly nothing. Great things that seem like magic. Magic must have rules.

There must be rules.

Felix feels the wall. Examines it with his senses. It's touch. It's texture. It's temperature. How it looks. How it smells. Is this wall real? Is it also an illusion, or was it conjured into reality? He turns to his surroundings and tries to figure out what it is that surrounds him. Something is going on. He can figure it out if he tries. If he puts in enough effort and study he can discover the fundamental forces that be and unravel them. Turn them into knowledge that can be simplified and easily digested. Rules he can identify them by. Loopholes he can exploit.

Felix opens up his senses to the world around him and examines it the best he can.

Theresa presses her hand on top of his. They've known each other for a long time. They've worked well together in the past and the present. She understands his intentions and tries to understand the world with him. If there is magic in the air, they will study it together. It is not an unbeatable beast. It is simply another force of existence. They will conquer it together.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2020 6:00 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3105
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Piper, can you grab one of the trucks for me like you did with the motorcycle?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 09, 2020 11:09 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
Felix: Science: +3 Roll:+0 Theresa: +4 Total: +7

Felix investigates the wall thoroughly. It looks pretty real; if he hadn't just driven through this area, he'd think it was real. It extends to a little higher than he can reach - if he stands on tip-toe, his fingers just brush the top of the wall - and is made of stone blocks, crudely mortared together. If only he had some explosives on hand, he might be able to blast the wall down... a pity he used them all earlier.

It's Theresa who notices the oddity first - every stone block has a slight hollow (barely enough to notice) in the same place. Closer investigation shows that the wall is actually made of plentiful copies of the exact same stone block - if that's any help in getting through it.

There's a crunching sound from behind him - Felix glances back, and sees that the Seeker (or the illusion, whatever it is) is now walking towards them. There is not much time to get out of here.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 10, 2020 1:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Discretion is the better part of valor..."

Felix puts his back to the wall and cups his hands so Theresa can climb up and look over the wall. If the cost looks clear she'll climb up and haul Felix over.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 2:17 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10975
Theresa ups on top of the wall - and the Seeker hisses in alarm. Clearly, the creature wasn't expecting its prey to actually find an escape route! Through with gloating, the creature charges...

Felix: Athletics: +1Theresa's help: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +4
"Seeker": Athletics: +0 Roll: -1 Total: -1


Without waiting to see whether or not the coast is clear (it's hard to be worse that what's down there, after all) Theresa grabs Felix' hand and yanks him up.

"There they are!" At the sound of the voice, Felix and Theresa look about - and spot one of the Pandion Knights who had reached the main gate earlier. This one is atop the roofs around the area, his sword drawn. "This way, quickly!"

--------------

"I don't grab trucks," says Piper, firmly. "That's undignified. I'm much more subtle than that. ...it's just outside the main gate."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 3:23 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8737
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"You would not believe the day we've been having!" Felix yells back at the Knight. He leads the way down the wall towards the nearest rooftop. He passes his rifle to Theresa and draws the spear he's been carrying. Using it's extended reach, Felix taps along the ground to make sure what he's stepping on is sure footing and not, say, an illusion.

He and Theresa do their best to make good time and get to safety.

When he gets a chance he'll use his visor to try and see if the Knights give off a heat signature and are indeed real.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: