Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2022 3:32 am 
If a character is aware of an attack and able to move freely, then he can dodge it with all of his skill.

Because keeping track of where everyone is facing in a chaotic melee would be a pain.

Also, Ghwerek's been fighting for longer than some entire villages have existed, he knows exactly what he's doing.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:48 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Ok, granted; but he still has to be able to see what he's defending against. Wouldn't darkness hinder an active defense as much as it does an active attack?

Oh, and do let us know if we hear the pop of the still hot gasifiers reigniting...

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:20 pm 
He doesn't need to see it nearly as well to dodge it as he does to hit it. Also, his ears work perfectly well in any light level. I don't think that anyone gets penalised for dodging in the dark; the penalty only applies on the attack side. This makes intuitive sense - if I imagine two guys punching each other, they'll hit less often in the dark than in the light.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 15, 2022 4:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I dunno; two folks flailing around with swords in the dark would find hitting's going to be little more than blind luck until someone gets localized.
Still, if dodging missile fire is going to be anything other than bouncing around randomly all over for the entire round (and it really can't be, or he's setting himself up to be hit by the melee fighters); then he would need to know just when the shot is taken. That's rather harder to do if you really can't see the shooter very well.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:47 am 
Even if you have some vague idea where the other guy is standing, it's still going to be harder to hit in the dark in the first place than it would be to hit in the light. So, the penalty for attackers must be higher than any penalty for defenders (if both sides get the same penalty, then the dark makes no difference).

At the same time, I don't think that there's really any justification for more than a -2 penalty on attacks; and trollish night vision is good enough to counter a -1 penalty on defense. I suspect that we're looking here at an effective defense penalty of less than 1, at which point my instinctive reaction is to round off to zero and leave it at that.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:10 am 
Also, it's kinda a moot point now because you have taken Ghwerek down.

...incidentally, it's probably worth pointing out that Ghwerek's cave is one of very very few Arcane Workshops in the world, and right now the only one without an owner who would object to Terran use of it. Arkady would probably find himself capable of creating magical gadgets if he could get to the place and use the tools there.

My original plan had the Fight Against Ghwerek happening at the entrance to said cave, so that the Workshop would be there and available as soon as the fight ended. This... didn't work out quite as expected, and I can't see any obvious reasons for the party to go there now... but yeah, the Workshop was mostly defended by Ghwerek, and now that he's down it's theoretically usable.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 4:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I suppose someone could point out that the cave of a troll that was known to have hording tendencies even worse than Smaug might be worth a visit.

Someone else might want to stop Felix by the by. Normally he'd have Sir Sparhawk do the honors, but he's taken one too many hits to the head and isn't thinking straight.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 2:52 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Just a quick note. I gave my ring to Sir Sparhawk before the fight, so he already has it.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 16, 2022 3:12 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Ah. A slight edit ensues....

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:08 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Has Sir Ulath finished beheading Ghwerek yet?

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:17 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Speaking of, I kinda want to dissect him. Regeneration of that speed and reliability (hundreds of years old and no cancer?) surely must turn up some interesting results. If Felix could maybe figure out how to isolate it and apply it the medical treatments derived would be spectacular.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 5:26 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Roger and I both actually have reservations about killing him XD.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 17, 2022 11:07 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix's reservations went out the window when he tried to kill Sir Sparhawk and my reservations went out the window when he refused to deal fairly and tried to kill us all.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 3:49 am 
Dodger77 wrote:
Has Sir Ulath finished beheading Ghwerek yet?

Not quite - Ghwerek has a very tough neck - but if you want to stop him you need to talk extremely quickly.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:13 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I imagine also very persuasively.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG