Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:36 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix does as instructed, taking the spear and unscrewing the blade from the shaft. He takes the spear and attempts to dislodge the ring from its hiding place.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:20 am 
The ring is easy enough to remove from its hiding place. It looks, to the inexpert eye, like a simple gold band adorned with a single blood-red ruby.

"Keep the ring hidden," warns the ghostly King, "for thou art not the only one who seeks the Blue Rose, nor art thou the only one who wishes the rings that allow it to be touched. From all forms of magic and all detection but that of sight and touch, both the rings and the Blue Rose hide themselves, as long as their powers are quiescent."

"I cannot tell thee the location of the Rose itself, for it is hidden even from the Dead, but this much I can tell thee; the time is near when the Blue Rose shall be bought once again out of hiding, for good or for ill. Do not allow the servants of dread Azash to be the ones to find it."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 1:52 am 
"Don't let the Bad Guys get the super powerful artifact. Got it. Do you know where this thing was last seen? Who had it last?"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 2:15 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix loops the ring through a chain and hangs the chain around his neck, hiding it underneath his shirt.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:18 pm 
"I am no historian," says the ghost. "I was ever but a King, and a poor one at that. I know not who last set eye upon the Blue Rose, nor where it was at the time. Tell me, dost thou know what fate hath befallen mine treacherous sister?"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"If I recall correctly the Blue Rose was lost 500 years ago from the treasure vault of... some kingdom. I forget which. Piper might know."

Felix shakes his head.

"I'm unsure of the details pertaining to your sister. We're still getting caught up on local events and persons, unfortunately. "

Post Posted: Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:13 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady comments: "Sir Ulath said it was the Thelassian crown jewels, and it was lost during the last Zemoch war. I am hoping it didn't go home with the wrong army. Your Majesty, do you know anything of the other ring?"

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:13 am 
"Good. I hope that traitor dies in obscurity, having achieved nothing with her life. It would be a fitting punishment."

Weremensh wrote:
Arkady comments: "Sir Ulath said it was the Thelassian crown jewels, and it was lost during the last Zemoch war. I am hoping it didn't go home with the wrong army. Your Majesty, do you know anything of the other ring?"

"I last saw it on the finger of Sir Sparhawk, the Royal Champion, though I fear he knows not its true significance. It is almost indistinguishable from the one in your possession. But there is one more thing you need to know. Should your quest fail - should you be unable to save my daughter - then you must destroy the Blue Rose to prevent Azash from obtaining it."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:22 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Looks like we'll need to find Sir Sparhawk and discuss these matters with him," Felix says."Probably a good idea to do that regardless. Touch base."

Felix ponders for a moment before holding up the chain with the ruby encrusted ring.

"Legend stated that the rings are sapphires drained of color to gain the appearance of diamonds. How come this jewel is ruby red?"

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:41 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
After the king comments (or doesn't) about the ring, Arkady says: "If we save your daughter the Blue Rose can be spared, then? How does that follow, your highness? And how can it be destroyed without laying waste to half of the continent?"

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 1:23 pm 
"It does? I had not heard of that legend. Yet... it fits well with the tale I do know."

"It is said that my great-great grandfather, King Antor, was a brave but foolish man. Facing increase problems with banditry on his northern border, he led out a punitive expedition to lay waste to the bandits; but unfortunately underestimated the extent of the problem, and worse, made a series of costly tactical errors which cost the lives of his men. Before long, he was in truly dire straits, and his defeat would doubtless have been swift had a relief column of Pandions not managed to reach his position. The Pandions managed to lure the bandits in to a pitched battle, hoping to break the bandit clans and save the King; unfortunately, during the chaos of battle, King Antor was separated from his men, and only one Pandion managed to remain at his side; one Sir Sparhawk, the direct ancestor of the one you have met. The King and the Knight fought successfully against terrible odds; they prevailed until Sparhawk's sword was struck from his grip. Thinking their foes defeated, the bandits leapt in for the kill - but Sparhawk grabbed one of the bandit's spears, that very spear that you hold in your hand, and stabbed the bandit leader through the heart."

"On seeing their leader so felled, the nerve of the remaining bandits broke, and they fled; leaving King Antor and the Knight alive, but greviously wounded. Unable to move, the two of them sat there, in the middle of the battlefield; neither ever spoke of the words that passed between them in those hours, but at some point they traded weapons, leaving the ancestral Sparhawk with the Royal sword and King Antor with the spear. Some hours later, the two saw a light approaching and, not sure whether it was friend or foe, they prepared for battle; but the light was carried not be an Elene. Instead, it was bought by a pale Styric woman, who treated their wounds and gave to them a pair of rings. Legend had it that the stones in the rings were as clear as diamond when they were given, but they were stained red by the mingled blood of the King and the Knight."

"Some hours after the mysterious Styric lady left, a Pandion scout located the pair of them, and returned swiftly with help. They were taken to the nearest village, and there recovered from their wounds - a process that took several months. By the time they returned to the Capitol, the King and the Knight were fast friends; the Knight was offered, and accepted, the position of King's Champion, a position which has been passed down through his male descendants to this day; and as my ring was passed, father to son, through the intervening generations, so was his."

Weremensh wrote:
After the king comments (or doesn't) about the ring, Arkady says: "If we save your daughter the Blue Rose can be spared, then? How does that follow, your highness? And how can it be destroyed without laying waste to half of the continent?"

"If my daughter perishes, then only its destruction can keep the Blue Rose out of the grasp of Azash; and even destruction is preferable to the twisted mockery of life that is all that Azash will permit. The Blue Rose will not be easy to destroy, but you hold the means to do so in your grasp; if you return the ring to its hiding place in spear, then stab the spear into the heart of the Blue Rose, it will be destroyed in a giant explosion that will lay waste to the area about."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 29, 2019 2:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix refixes the blade back onto the spear shaft and takes hold of it, content to carry it on his person for the foreseeable future.

"We'll need to find the Blue Rose before we can even think about destroying it. I guess we should find Sir Sparhawk and inform him of the news, then head to Thelassia to search for clues concerning the whereabouts of the Blue Rose. We can get started on that after we deliver Ortzel to Chyrellos and install him as the new Arch-Prelate to keep that weasel Raven from assuming the position."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 5:18 am 
"If Sparhawk hears about the Arch-prelate and Raven's ambitions," points out Sir Ulath, "then he might very well turn up in Chyrellos in order to frustrate those ambitions."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 11:22 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady glances at Sir Ulath. "What can Sir Sparhawk do to Raven besides kill him?" Then he turns back to the king. "Is there anything else we should know, your highness?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 30, 2019 12:03 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Could you describe, in detail, the events of your poisoning and the flaunting of the culprit on your deathbed? I'm recording this conversation to use for possible clues and having video documentation of the victim's side of the story could help thwart nefarious plots."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG