Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:07 am 
"Sure, guv," says Talen. "Give me an hour or so alone in Cimmura and I can set you up a meeting, no problem."

The nearest Pandion to Arkady shrugs. "We were basically told to not attract attention and try to keep you lot out of trouble," he says. "We can slip out through the tavern if you like."

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:33 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Alright, let's get out of here, alright?" Felix says. "Vanire needs to be made aware of what we found out."

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:26 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady makes sure the crypt is closed properly, then leaves with the others.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:46 pm 
The journey back to the Chapterhouse is reasonably quiet - although the window you need to squeeze out of turns out to be a fairly small window, so that it is indeed a squeeze (especially for Sir Ulath, who can't fit through until he removes his chainmail - though he gets it passed through after him once he's through). Talen proves to be an excellent climber, shimmying down the rope like a monkey - and Piper simply strolls down the rope, walking on it at ninety degrees to normal, in utter defiance of things like gravity and good sense.

On returning to the Chapterhouse - and being granted entry only after having had your identities thoroughly checked, as per usual - you find that there is one piece of unexpected trouble. While you were at the crypt, one of the tyres on one of the trucks has gone completely flat.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:57 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix will inspect the tire to see what caused it to go flat, then proceed to try and fix it or replace it with the apare.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:36 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady explains to Vanire and Ortzel (and anyone else thought suitable): "We met the ghost of the late king. He named Primate Anais Raven as the one who poisoned him with Darestim, and said Raven went so far as to gloat about it. He said this in front of several Church knights; you, your Eminence, should probably ask them for confirmation. He also told us that to be certain to save his daughter from the same poison, we need to ask Lady Sephrenia to cast a spell which can all but raise the dead. And to get her the power needed to cast the spell, we need to find the Blue Rose." He shakes his head. "Would you believe that His Majesty had one of the rings needed on his person, and told us who has the other? Unfortunately, he had no idea where the Rose itself is." He looks at Ortzel. "If we can't find the Rose, we have another plan that may well work, though it is not certain. For that we will need a more...mundane magical item to power a lesser healing spell, to be used alongside Terran healers using our medical tools. Now we have been hearing rumors of items being held by the Church. I am knowing there is no official secret vault of them; but if there is something being held in the city less officially then it gives us something to work with. A backup plan."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:26 am 
The tyre seems to have a slow leak, due to a rather large thorn being embedded in it. Unfortunately, this isn't the first time you've had an issue with a tyre, and you've already used both spares; you do have a tyre patch kit which would fix this easily if you could just find the thing. Alternatively, you could radio back to the Ship and ask them to send out someone with a few spare tyres. Perhaps someone who's recently woken up with a mysterious knowledge of the Elene language.

Even if you do find the patch kit, it's probably a good idea to get the Ship to send out someone with spare tyres; after all, you are out of usable spares.

--------------

"No true member of the Church would retain any form of magic on their person!" denounces Ortzel.

"Even if they did," adds Vanire pragmatically, "the last person they'd tell would be Ortzel, who would loudly denounce them and have the item confiscated and destroyed if at all possible. And I certainly know nothing of any magic items that might be in Chyrellos - I'm too far away and too honest to be involved in internal Church politics there. But it sounds to me that those rings are themselves minor magical items."

"As to the matter of the King's poisoning; no judge, honest or not, will dispute the sworn word of multiple Church Knights, so thank you for that. I have little doubt that the Primate's lawyers will, however, argue that the King's Ghost was lying. I do not believe that any honest judge would accept that argument; unfortunately, in matters where the Primate is concerned, he's been very liberal with his bribes and I doubt that an honest judge could be found..."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:01 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix radios back to the ship to have them send someone up with some spare tires.

"I got a video recording of the King saying as such," Felix says, showing Vanire the recording. "Think we could use it to sway public opinion by showing it to the people of Cimmura? Put some pressure on the corrupted justice system?"

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:51 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady has a wry grin. "You are understanding that it is difficult to reconcile a desire to obtain justice within the law with the belief that the law is too corrupt to do so? Still, it is not only civil law he has broken. I am guessing the Church would have things to say about murder, provoking civil war and consorting with dark powers, too." He looks at Ortzel "Or would I be wrong about that, your eminence?"

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:16 pm 
"You'd be chased out of town by a mob if the average peasant saw that," points out Vanire, on watching the video. "Accused of consorting with evil beings and such, I have no doubt."

He nods at Arkady's words. "You're not wrong," he agrees. "That's another reason why we need someone who is not the Primate to be the next Arch-Prelate. The Arch-Prelate presides over all ecclesiastical enquiries of this nature. In recent years, that's been Cluvonious, and, well..." Vanire shrugs, slightly embarrassed. "But if Ortzel here is elected into the post..."

"Then I most certainly would take any such accusations with all due seriousness," says Ortzel, firmly. "Before the election, any such court would need to be presided over by the full assembly of Patriarchs, with a two-thirds majority needed to sustain any judgement..."

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 3:42 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks thoughtful for a second, then asks "Is the election to the Arch Prelacy by simple majority?"

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:27 pm 
"Not quite," says Vanire. "There are a hundred and sixty-seven Patriarchs in the Church. Well, a hundred and sixty-seven seats for Patriarchs. If all the Patriarchs are present at the Basilica, then it takes a hundred votes to elect an Arch-Prelate..."

"If fewer than all the Patriarchs are present," adds Ortzel, "then a like proportion of the Patriarchs who are present is sufficient to elect a new Arch-Prelate."

"So if there are eighty-three Patriarchs present," says Talen, "then you'd only need fifty votes?"

"Something like that," says Vanire, "though I'd need to check the exact figure."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:13 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady asks: "So how many Prelates is needed for a quorum? Can ten men elect an Arch-Prelate if only sixteen show up?"

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:20 pm 
"In theory, yes," says Vanire.

"So what's stopping this Primate from getting together somewhere out of the way with a dozen or so well-paid Patriarchs and electing himself?" asks Talen.

"An Arch-Prelate cannot be simply elected anywhere," says Ortzel, with a disdainful sniff. "In order to be a properly constituted meeting of Patriarchs, the meeting needs to be held in the main hall of the Basilica in Chyrellos, and needs to be held during daylight hours. All Patriarchs present in the hall are, of course, present in the meeting."

"And they can't meet at all until at least a week after Cluvonious' death," adds Vanire. "There's still a couple of days before that clock runs out."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Which means we need to get moving sooner than later," Felix says. He goes to search for that tire repair kit to fix the leak.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG