Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:05 am 
“Anyone who knows what they’re doing assigned over that the orchard? Since I just woke up, something that people haven’t been working on for a bit will have me stepping on the least toes.”

Wishes aren’t so someone else will do it for you, wishes are so the universe might be more inclined in your favor. It never hurts to ask for help when you need it, the worst that can happen is someone can say no.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:38 pm 
"There's a couple of horticulturalists, but they're dealing with completely alien plants. I'm sure they'd appreciate an external opinion."

"I've never met a dandelion that could incline the universe," says Piper. "I think I would remember if I had."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:41 am 
Ah, but how can you be sure if you weren’t looking for it?

“That is why I was sent here, I am a Professional Haver Of Second Opinions, generally about domesticated beings. Though, I supposed I could be called upon to have them about other things.”

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:10 pm 
Piper thinks about it for a moment, then sticks out her tongue at you.

--------------

Dr. Vanderbilt leads you off to where a couple of other people are having some very strong opinions at each other about the health of certain trees and how to best maintain them.

Samantha: Science: +5 Agricultural Science: +1 Roll: +0 Total: +6

Fortunately, as a very professional Haver of Second Opinions, especially in the agricultural field, you are swiftly able to locate the flaws in their arguments and a few pointed but incisive questions regarding the known characteristics of the alien trees is enough to point you along the right track. Time passes as you study the trees (and have several Second Opinions about them along the way, and even one or two Third Opinions, which are respectfully listened to by a pair of horticulturalists who have quickly realised that they are in the presence of a Master) until, some hours later, as the Sun is beginning to set, Piper returns from wherever she goes when she is not being carried and tugs gently at your hand.

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 2:26 pm 
Sam rolled her shoulder, idly noting how much more relaxed she was now there was dirt caked under her fingernails before crouching down to Piper height. “Howsit going, Tiny?

Post Posted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:20 pm 
Instead of responding verbally, Piper continues to gently tug on your hand, leading you in the direction of the Ship.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 9:12 am 
Samantha follows, looking around and taking mental notes of things she could be having second opinions about.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:27 pm 
Piper leads Samantha to a spot near the ship, pausing only to hold her finger to her lips in what appears to be a truly universal gesture of silence (or perhaps she's picked it up around the ship?)

From where she leads you, you can hear a couple of voices arguing.

"We need to tell her." This is a firm, decisive voice.

"She doesn't need to know. She's a horticulturalist, and a very good one! What she could do for our food production -" This voice you recognise; David, he of the spreadsheets and the dislike of hats on cameras.

"With her or not, I'm sure our food production is well on track. Isn't it?" The first voice again.

"It's within expected parameters," David replies. "But it could be better! Plus, she can talk to the kid - and the scholar, when he gets back."

"Precisely," says the first voice. "She woke up speaking Elene. That means that something woke her up."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 1:53 pm 
Samantha mimed the gesture back at Piper and sidled back down the hall, coming back purposefully loud, walking into the room the conversation was taking place in.

“Hey! Just wanted to check in; I think the orchard might be coming in ahead of schedule now, they just weren’t thinking sideways enough.” She beamed, grin wide and innocent. “What’s up with you?”

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:17 am 
"Thank you," says David. "There's a number of hydroponic bays which I'm sure could also use your expertise..."

"Now, now, David," says the other man, "let the lady have a few minutes to unwind will you?" He steps forward, holding out a hand to shake. "Captain Argent," he introduces himself, "nominal leader of this colonisation mission."

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 10:50 am 
“Dr Samantha Redgrave, Agricultural Sciences.” She shakes his hand, still smiling. “All things considered, things seem to be running fairly smoothly.”

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:37 pm 
"Frankly, that's more than a little miraculous, considering what we've already come through. On the subject of little miracles, though -"

"This is rank superstition," objects David.

"Now, now, David. Doctor Redgrave - may I call you Samantha? - you have doubtless noticed that you woke up speaking a completely new language. Well, so did - ah - four other people so far - and it's due entirely to this fact that any of us woke up at all. Now, the other four have been headed all over the place, solving problems, being diplomatic, helping out the neighbours so they don't resent our presence, and all in all helping our colony to fit better into the world around us."

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:45 pm 
"And you would like me join them, as having someone with a vague idea of agriculture's evolution who's willing to share that information is always a good way to make friends with locals?"

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 1:09 pm 
"Partially that," says the Captain, "and partially the fact that, every time someone wakes up speaking Elene, there's always very soon a reason for that person to join the group in question."

"Rank. Superstition." David folds his arms and makes his opinion of this idea clear with a dark glare.

"In this particular case," continues the Captain, "the group appears to have run into a slight bit of tyre trouble. Now, we've loaded up some spare tyres onto a one-woman motor scooter, and we can give you directions to where they are -"

"Anyone could drive the thing," objects David. "I could drive the thing."

"Yes, but then who would run our budget? Besides, you don't speak Elene, you would get into trouble the first time you met a stranger on the road. Now, Samantha, there's a fair amount that's happening - but they can give you all the details when you meet them, I'm sure. The short version is, they need those tyres, as soon as possible if not sooner. Would you be willing to drive the tyres out to them?"

Post Posted: Thu Apr 11, 2019 4:09 pm 
Samantha shrugged. "Sure, I've got no problem with that. Anyway, in my personal opinion, we're doing well enough foodwise that I can just give advice the next time I come through. Is there anything else you'd want me to bring to them?"

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG