Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 05, 2019 11:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Though I walk through the valley of the shadow of bug monsters, I shall fear no crossbowmen... I have an idea to take out the Seeker! I hit it with a stun grenade and you guys follow up with an explosive or armor piercing round while it's stunned!"

Felix takes a deep breath, winces, then throws himself from cover and shoots another stun grenade at the Seeker. Here's to hoping he's quick enough to get behind cover again.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 4:17 am 
Nate loads another round into his rifle and takes a deep breath, ready to follow up on Felix's attack.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:44 pm 
Popping his head above the battlements right here would be suicidal for Felix. However, crawling along about two metres behind the battlements will bring Felix away from the place that all of the enemy crossbowmen are shooting at, and so that's what he does. He pops up, fires his flashbang, and ducks down again before the Seeker's crossbowmen can adjust their aim.

Felix: Placing aspect 'stunned' on the Seeker: Guns: +2 Sidekick: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +5 Success!

There's a bang, and a screeeeeeeeech, as the Seeker flings out one arm (almost unbalancing off its horse in the process).

Nate: Guns: +5 Still has Felix' visor: +4 Honestly, he can't miss.

Nate fires at the moment the flashbang goes off, and an instant after the Seeker flings its arm out; and the bullet deflects off an invisible surface several metres away from the Seeker.

It seems that the Seeker's foreknowledge allows it to avoid death even when badly disorientated.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:11 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Damn, was hoping that would work...
Looks like we have to kill the army first, then take it on on our terms."

Felix fires a few grenades at the enemy formations in an attempt to buy time, then heads inside to talk to Alstrom.

"Baron Alstrom! Your walls won't stand against this assault. We need to take the fight to the enemy. I say we lower the drawbridge and lure them into tight quarters where good old fashioned Terran Engineering can take them out en masse. Then we gather your forces and charge Count Groan and the Seeker. "

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 7:27 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady says "Excuse us a second, please."

Then to Felix: "Felix, if you and I snipe at the ladders while Nate uses that cannon of his on the arms of the catapults, then they will not be able to attack the walls. Then perhaps we can take a few hours to come up with something to deal with that seeker without simply machine gunning the army in the way."

Then he looks at the patriarch. "I don't suppose you are knowing any prayers that might help lessen the power of Azash on the battlefield?"

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 8:37 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I'm not saying we can't take our time with it. If we wanted to we could probably take out the entire army by ourselves from the walls. But I don't want the Seeker to get away when we do. I think an eventual frontal assault is necessary."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:36 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"If the entire army is bitten then we may have to deal with that, yes. But after we kill everyone between us and it, then what? It sounds like bullets and grenades won't do the job." He thinks for a second, then says "Did you try gas? The humans out there would be a lot less dangerous if they can't see."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:39 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"It used Count Groan as a shield when I tried to nail it with a grenade. I think explosives will kill it. If that won't work we can always non lethally restrain it with nets and lassos. Bind its arms so it can't use magic, *then* shoot it. Smoke grenades could buy us some time, yes."

Last edited by Kajin on Fri Feb 08, 2019 12:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:12 pm 
Weremensh wrote:
Then he looks at the patriarch. "I don't suppose you are knowing any prayers that might help lessen the power of Azash on the battlefield?"

"The so-called 'power' of Azash," proclaims Patriarch Ortzel, "is nothing more than superstition and fear. There is only one true God, and He is with us."

Piper put her head in her hands in sheer exasperation when she hears this. "You've heard of the Thousand Younger Gods of Styricum, right?"

"Base superstition!" insists the Patriarch.

Piper rolls her eyes.

Last edited by CCC on Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:34 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Oh this guy is a jewel," Felix sighs.

"We need a plan to counter the enemy. Baron Alstrom, can you ready your forces for a charge to take this Seeker? We need to destroy it before it causes more damage."

Felix lays out the plan. The Terrans fight from the castle walls, using long range weaponry to destroy the enemy siege equipment and explosives to weaken the army. The fight will be dragged out as long as possible to inflict maximum casualties on the bitten army. Once the wall is breached, the gate and drawbridge are thrown open and Alstrom's army charges in an arrowhead formation, charging at the Seeker and Count Groan. Groan is to be captured alive and separated from the Seeker, whereupon the Seeker will be restrained with nets and lassos, preventing it from using its magic. It will then be bombarded with explosives, destroying it. Without the Seeker guiding the troops magically, the bitten army will be lose cohesiveness and will be easier to eliminate. Felix and Ulath will lead the charge. Nathan will provide long range cover fire. Piper and Arkady will stay in the back and use magic/exorcism in a supporting role.

Leadership roll to hash out the plan and get everyone on board. Felix is focused on this task, tagging Laser Focus to boost/reroll as necessary.

Felix looks around, grabbing two axes from the walls. He passes one to Theresa.

"I'll lead the charge and guide the troops. Piper. Can I rely on you to keep us free from mental influence? If not, how far away do we have to stay from the Seeker to keep from becoming beholden to it?"

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:31 am 
Piper plays a little trill on her pipes. "I can't prevent all mental influence, but the Seeker's ability to cause mental influence has limits. If you get close enough to it - within the length of a horse or two, about - then looking at that green glow might draw you in closer, make you think it's not a threat, or in severe cases make you forget about it and be unable to recognise that it exists."

She takes a moment to consider. "It's... possible that that might be what happened to the Count; that he doesn't know the Seeker is there and can't notice it. Beyond that, any further control requires that the creature first bite you, and that will kill everything that makes you you. Don't let it bite you. As for the Seeker's immunity to being attacked; the Seeker doesn't have any magic of its own, beyond that glow and its bite."

"Magic," interrupts Ortzel, "doesn't exist. It's no more than sleight-of-hand and rumour, enough to foll gullible peasants but -" He stops as Piper rolls her eyes, turns her back on him, and proceeds to sit neatly cross-legged in mid-air.

"What you saw when you shot at it," continues Piper, while Ortzel waves an arm above her, searching for wires, "was the direct influence of Azash. The Seeker itself is no more than the larvae of a particularly unpleasant insect species, about as intelligent as an ant or a bee; Azash is using it as a puppet directly, controlling its actions. And, being one of the Elder gods, he can see the shape of the future, or at least the major incidents in that future. He can see when the Seeker will die, in advance, and then he can change things to prevent that from happening. In practical terms, this means that there is nothing that you can do from here to prevent or cut off the Seeker's access to magic - the only two ways to kill the Seeker are either to make it want to die, so that it rejects Azash's influence for long enough, or to create a situation in which there are no futures in which the Seeker lives."

Ortzel waves an arm under Piper, looking for an invisible support of some sort, and finding none.

Piper turns to raise an eyebrow at Ortzel. "Are you quite finished?" she asks, sweetly.

"There's got to be some trick to this," insists Ortzel. "Just because I can't see how it's done doesn't mean there isn't a trick."

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"How is Azash channeling magic through it? Whenever it deflected our shots, it threw out its arm... If we restrain its arms in some way could we conceivably prevent it from using magic? And what about explosives? When I tried to use my grenade launcher on it it instinctively kept close to Groan, as if it knew I wouldn't take the shot with Groan in the way. It could have deflected my shot with magic instead... Does that mean there are limits to the Seeker's defenses and we can overpower them?"

Felix eyes the silent Alstrom and awaits his say on the plan. They can't kill the Seeker without catching it and to catch it they need Alstrom's troops.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:33 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks at Ortzel, then comments: "I was born on a world where magic doesn't work. We built a ship and came here using nothing but mechanical arts. Most of us did not believe in magic. And yet since we have come here I have learned to speak Elene with no effort or study on my part, and have seen that girl do things that can be explained with no other words than 'magic' or 'miracle'. She is not being the only one who did that, either.
"You, your eminence, may want to consider that perhaps it pleases your God that others besides himself can wield supernatural power. Otherwise you put yourself at risk of denying His works and His will."

Arkady is going to tag Church with Many Doors, Defender of the Faith, The Many Faces of God, If You Want Something Done, Do It Yourself and Defensive Pacifist. If this guy doesn't get the seed of doubt planted in him, he's going to be a threat to the colony and The Church.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:29 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Felix, I assume you want me on the wall? You didn't specify one way or the other.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:06 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Roger would be best placed on the wall with a scoped rifle, yes. Or he could spend his time using his Science skill to try and cook up some bug bombs to use in the charge. Maybe an even split between killing it and non lethal paralysis?

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG