Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10985
Vanire raises an eyebrow. "It's evening. Were you really thinking of starting your journey to Chyrellos by night? I'd taken itfor granted you'd be sleeping here. Regardless, it'll be simple enough for me to send a couple of men down to look into whatever's going on in the cathedral - we have our Church duties just as much as the Primate does. If he is holding clandestine meetings in there, I can at least put a stop to that."

"Now," he pulls out a sheet of parchment and a quill pen, "if you could describe in detail how this 'exorcism' works..."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 01, 2018 7:10 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15377
Location: Yes.
Arkady tries to condense days of study into a digestible lump. He's been thinking about this, so when he gets into the nuts and bolts he can rationally discuss how one might transpose.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:03 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10985
After a while, Arkady and Vanire come to the agreement that they've got about as much of the process down on parchment as they can reasonably expect, and that if it's going to work at all, then Vanire probably has all he'd need to make it work.

It's now about half an hour after sunset. Vanire offers to put you up in the chapterhouse for the night if you like.

Where to next?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:13 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8747
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix suggests we head to the free city after getting our rest in.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15377
Location: Yes.
Arkady sees nothing wrong with that plan, but does ask Vanire if there's anything they can drop off for him, or anyone in particular they should consider seeing when they get there about their task and about their tithe.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 3:34 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10985
By morning, Vanire does indeed have a letter for you to carry - describing the ideas behind exorcism (including a copy of his notes from last night) and why it would be a good idea to at least look into the matter. He asks you to take to Patriarch Dolmant, whom you have briefly met before so you should be able to recognise him on sight.

Vanire also suggests that the same Patriarch Dolmant is a fair and equitable Patriarch who is a just and noble servant of the Church, and suggests that if you have anything you need to talk to the Patriarchs about or if you need help, then Dolmant will be the man to talk to; he also warns you that there are rumours that suggest that some of the other Patriarchs might have been taking the Primate Ravens' coin in bribes.

--------------

The trip to Chyrellos should be quick and easy. The road is fairly decent (for once) and pretty much as straight as an arrow; most other people or vehicles get out of the way pretty quickly when they hear your trucks roaring up behind them (and more then one shepherd is forced to chase his flock when the growling trucks scare off the sheep).

Partway along the road to Chyrellos, however, there's a group of five peasants. Each of them are carrying a pitchfork; and when they hear your trucks approaching, they kneel on the ground, point their pitchforks at your trucks (bracing the end against the ground) and wait. The five of them are spaced across the roadway close enough that the trucks can't get between them.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:01 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15377
Location: Yes.
Arkady is bringing up the rear in the nontechnical, so he doesn't see this too well. He simply keeps his friend the Sgt. handy and watches the flanks while he tries to figure out why they've stopped.

Btw, who's in his truck right now?

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:06 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8747
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Ahoy there, let us pass would you kindly?" Felix inquires of the peasants from his position on the turret of the front truck.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:53 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10985
Talen, Piper and Sir Ulath are all sitting on the back of Arkady's truck. Roger, Felix and Nathan are all sitting basically wherever they want to.

When the front truck stops, the five peasants all pick up their pitchforks and converge on it.

Felix: Empathy: +3 Roll: -2 Total: +1
Nathan: Empathy: +0 Roll: +0 Total: +0
Roger: Empathy: +3 Roll: -1 Total: +2
Arkady: Empathy: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4


Despite being in the rear truck, Arkady gets a good look at the peasant approaching the side of the front truck; and he, Roger and Felix all notice that there's something odd about the way he's moving. All five peasants have blank, unfocused gazes and walk like they're sleepwalking.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 1:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8747
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix and Theresa move to restrain the peasants with plastic zip ties.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 6:45 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10985
With calming, soothing words on his lips, Felix and Theresa move forward to try to physically restrain the peasants.

Felix: Might: +1 Sidekick: +4 Roll: +3 Total: +8
Peasants: Athletics: +2 Roll: +1 Total: +3


Felix manages to grab one by the arms, holding them behind the man's back; while Theresa takes his discarded pitchfork and holds it aside.

Abandoning their slow approach, the other peasants immediately move to stab Felix with their pitchforks!

Peasants: Weapons: +2 Roll: +0 Total: +2
Felix: Athletics: +1 Sidekick: +4 Roll: -2 Total: +3


Only the quick action of Theresa - pushing Felix aside - prevents him from taking multiple pitchforks to the stomach!

It's anyone's guess what's behind this sudden attack, but whatever it is, it's clear that these five men intend to kill you.

Clattering sounds of metal from behind Felix indicate that Sir Ulath is rushing to assist, and will be there pretty promptly.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:06 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3112
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger rushes over to help Felix and Theresa. He attempts to grab a pitchfork. (He doesn't want to use his gun because of the close quarters)

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:08 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
With a curse, Nate bails out of the middle truck and snaps out a baton, aiming a strike at the back of one of the peasants knees.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 5:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8747
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix ducks to the side and pulls a couple of baseball bats from the truck for himself and Theresa. Tossing the spare to Theresa, he shouts "go for their arms and legs! Don't kill them, they're under some manner of mind control!"

Suiting words to action, he swings at the arms of one of the peasants to try and break the man's arm.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:27 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15377
Location: Yes.
Arkady looks over his shoulder. "Piper, if you know any peaceful tunes?" Then, because early in the history of the ritual it was used against any form of possession or curses (demonic, fae, witchcraft, or simply old gods); Arkady tries to exorcise the possessing spirit or mage. Having seen what such magic looks like around here, he suspects it just might work.

Tag 'defensive pacifist' and 'defender of the faith' (well, one of them at least) at need.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 206 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: