Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 3:48 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15282
Location: Yes.
"God be with me." (in Ukrainian)

With Bible and holy water in hand, Arkady starts to exorcise the phantom.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:39 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10886
Felix's shot goes off, the noise loud in this enclosed space. But the phantom just smiles as the rock salt passes through it. It moves towards Piper, taking a swipe at Nate when he gets in the way. Its claw passes through his jacket, his shirt, and his chest as if they weren't there - leaving no wounds as a sign of its passing.

No physical wounds.

"Banshee?" Claws: +3 Roll: -1 Total: +2
Nate: Resolve: +3 Roll: -3 Total: +0
Mental stress track: XXXOO OO


Nate experiences a momentary feeling of existential uncertainty, as if he's not sure who is is or what he's doing - but it only lasts for a second, and he shakes it off easily.

It's at this point that Sir Ulath hits the ghost with his axe; the axe does not pass harmlessly through the creature.

Sir Ulath: Weapons: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5
"Ghost?": Claws: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4
Ghost: XOOOO


With a scream of mingled rage and pain, the ghostly creature turns to face Sir Ulath. And Arkady starts speaking.

Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5
"Spectre?": Claws: +3 Roll: -2 Total: +1
Spectre: XOOXO


The ghost screeches a loud and clearly audible scream, and glares at Arkady. It appears that he and Sir Ulath have its attention, at least.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:23 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8661
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix switches tactics and ammo, opting for dragon's breath fire rounds. He takes aim and fires.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
As the ghost's(?) hand passes through Nate, his demon mark Burns, settling into a dull throb as the attack passes.

Figuring he hasn't got much to lose in the attempt, he takes a swing at the thing with his bare fist.

Tag: Demon Mark for face punching goodness.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:27 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15282
Location: Yes.
Arkady concentrates on what he's doing; he doesn't really want to look at Piper right now unless he has to.

He continues the rite.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Sep 26, 2018 10:39 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3080
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Ivan! Quick, do you have any religious artifacts nearby? We need them!"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:04 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10886
A burst of flame leaps from the muzzle of Felix' gun, taking the phantom by surprise.

Felix: Guns: +2 Visor: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +8
"Ghost":Claws: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3
"Ghost": XOOXX


Nate's mark burns (perhaps due to the proximity of the altar?) and he steps forward, swinging his fist, which - passes harmlessly through the sceptre, his hands finding nothing solid in there to connect to.

The phantom ducks behind Sir Ulath, and then leaps forward and through him, grabbing his axe out of his hands even as the ghostly chill causes him to shudder and drop his weapon.

"Phantom": Maneuvre: Disarm
Claws: +3 Ghostly Chill: +2 Roll: -1 Total: +4
Sir Ulath: Weapons: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +3


The handle of the axe in the phantom's claws ages centuries in an instant, crumbling at once to dust; the blade, now ancient and more rust than metal, thumps on the bloodstained floor.

Recovering quickly, Sir Ulath steps forward and swings at the sceptre - but his mailed fist, like Nate's, passes through the creature without finding any hint of resistance.

Arkady doesn't stop his rite -

Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: -1 Total: +3
"Phantom": Claws: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3
XOOXX


- though he suspects it might take a while to actually finish dealing with the creature. He's not looking at Piper, but he can hear her tune continue uninterrupted (and, though no-one involved in the fight is paying the slightest attention to it, the window into the past around the altar continues to play)

Roger heads for the door and calls for help...

"What?" asks Ivan. "This is a castle, not a cathedral! We don't exactly keep relics of the saints about in here... there may be something in the chapel, but that's over on the far side of the castle..."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:15 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3080
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
"Hurry! A holy book or something blessed by a priest. Anything. Just GO!"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:10 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8661
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix barks out a laugh and presses the attack, throwing some more shells at Nate for his gun.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:55 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15282
Location: Yes.
Arkady continues to pray. He throws in a quick mental good word for his not being the only target left now, though he knows that may not help.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2018 8:11 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:00 am
Posts: 3080
AOL: Dodger724
Location: Relative Obscurity
Roger stands well back of the melee. He makes the sign of the cross, mumbles "Heaven help us" and then starts to say the Lord's Prayer under his breath audibly.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:14 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
Nate catches the thrown shells, but not having a shotgun to use them in, gives Felix a why the heck are you giving these to me? look, before grabbing a pair of torches off the nearest wall, and throwing one to Sir Ulath.

"I don't think it likes fire!"

Muttering under his breath "let's hope this works better than last time." he swings the torch at the specter's center of mass.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:51 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10886
Ivan rushes off down the corridor. He'll likely be a few minutes on this errand.

Talen, leaning against the wall of the corridor, raises an eyebrow at Roger, but makes no comment.

Sir Ulath grabs the torch that Nate tosses him. He and Nate swing their torches through the ghost, while Felix blasts it with another burst from his gun.

For some reason, this time, the fire has no effect. Perhaps the phantom had to choose to become immune to it?

Unfortunately, as Arkady had feared, this leaves him the immediate target for the ghost. It dives at him, ripping and clawing at him body with teeth and claws. As with Nate earlier, it leaves no visible wounds in the process...

Spectre? Claws: +3 Roll: -2 Total: +1
Arkady: Resolve: +3 Roll: -4 Total: -1
Arkady's mental composure track: XXXXO OO


...but it is nonetheless extremely disconcerting, and it's probably not a good idea to let the thing go on like that.

Arkady's prayer continues, however:

Arkady: Mysteries: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +4
Phantom?: Claws: +3 Roll: -3 Total: +0
XOOXX Minor consequence...


The ghostly creature screams, scrabbling and grabbing at Arkady as some unstoppable force seems to be dragging it upwards. Its claws reach out to tear one last time at Arkady, but the swipe narrowly misses as the creature is - clearly unwillingly - pulled up, back through the roof of the chamber.

Roger may never be certain whether his prayer helped or not. Nonetheless, the - ghost? - is clearly no longer about.

Piper's tune - and the 'silent movie' around the altar - continues for only a minute or two longer, before it ends. Theresa and the minstrel are both shuddering in horror at what they have witnessed, tears running down their faces.

"I'm going to need your help," says Piper, pointing at Felix. If she is suffering any consequences from the battle, then she's doing a very good job of hiding them. "I need you to translate."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:37 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8661
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Will do," Felix says.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:36 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10886
"Ask her what I ask him," orders Piper imperiously, before quizzing the Minstrel.

"What do you think of the Count?"

"A scholar and a gentleman, doing what he can to deal with tragedy," replies the Minstrel

"He reminded me of Bela Lugosi," says Theresa, when the same question (translated) is put to her. "But he seemed harmless."

"And Ivan?" asks Piper.

"A loyal servant," says the Minstrel.

"Almost a cliche, in a place like this," says Theresa. "The hunchbacked servant."

"And the lady you saw before you here?"

Both of them shudder and turn away, the Minstrel almost throwing up at the mere mention of her.

Piper narrows her eyes at them for a minute and then promptly pronounces them both cured. A note on her pipes allows the ropes to unwind, allowing them out of their chairs; the Minstrel immediately runs for the door, not willing to stay in this room a moment longer than necessary, while Theresa heads to Felix's side.

"There's one last thing we need to do," says Piper, "now that we've finished the easy part.". She points at the alcove across the room.

"We need to destroy the idol."

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 170 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: