Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Re: Pandions On Trial
 Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:12 am 
"Otha has been building up his armies for the last five hundred years," says Piper. "I don't know how he'd respond to having his disinformation campaign shut down completely. But I do know that he'll make some response. And I don't know when he'll decide to go to war. But I do know that it's a question of when he'll go to war, not whether he'll go to war. He might order the attack tomorrow; or he might wait a few more centuries first."

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 11:16 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Sounds like we need to get up and running sooner rather than later," Felix says. He gets back to packing. "A source of iron feels necessary, now."

Post Posted: Wed Jun 20, 2018 7:31 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady comments: "I'm going to be having a word with Zalazbra. I'll be back soon." He heads out in the direction of the blood bee hives to see if he's there, taking all due precaution not to get too close.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:29 am 
Piper closes her eyes and suppresses a shudder. "Do you have to?"

--------------

Arkady finds Zalasbra busy taking off a protective spacesuit; it seems he's been studying the Blood Bees far more close-up than would ordinarily be at all safe. (Since Zalasbra is a little short, the suit looks far too big on him).

He raises an eyebrow as Arkady approaches. "You have the appearance of a man with new questions," he says. "What would you like to know?"

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:39 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix raises an eyebrow at Piper.

"Hug for your thoughts?"

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:28 am 
Piper holds out her arms, and only once the hug is being provided does she say anything further.

"Iron is icky."

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:40 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady grins at Zalasbra. "I am looking that happy, am I?" More seriously: "My friends are talking about getting in contact with Styric villages. They want to be of some help to them. Piper is telling us that this is a very bad idea, because the villagers would run away if we found and approached them. She also told us why this would happen, and it sounds like a reasonable thing for them to do from what she is saying."

He shrugs. "I was hoping you might think of some way we could be helpful to them without showing up on their doorways and driving them off. Even if they won't talk to us yet, it is sounding like a decent thing to do."

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:36 am 
Zalasbra puts down his helmet and starts struggling out of the rest of the spacesuit. "I presume that you are aware that there is little to nothing that you will gain from direct contact with the average Styric? Styric mages are - and I stress this - most decidedly not average. The average Styric is little more than a subsistence farmer, scrabbling to draw what sustenance he can from the earth.

"But the charitable impulse does not care for that small fact, does it? No, I suspect it would make you even more eager to rush to their aid. And this speaks to your credit; the situation as it is is stable, yes, but that is the best that can be said for it." Zalasbra tosses the spacesuit aside, picks up his staff, and sits on a handy tree stump. "Did you know that the village I grew up in was put to the torch?"

He takes a moment to consider the question.

"The Child is right," he says, "that Styric villagers will flee from you. You are new, you are unknown, you will be scary. This can be remedied, but the remedy will take decades at the least, and I imagine that you are seeking something a little less... time-intensive. Hmmm. The biggest threat to the average Styric village is a mob of enraged Elene peasants. I imagine that it might perhaps be possible to communicate with the Elene peasants, and convince them to be a little less... hmmmm... vindictive, perhaps? Of course, I don't imagine you'd be able to shift the Elene perception of Styrics over the entire continent, but even a few villages can only help."

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady looks off towards the hives for a moment. "We are making friends, some of them among the holy orders. Perhaps they can be of help there." He looks back towards Zalazbra: "But it is also true that we do not need to go to someone to be dealing with them. Perhaps some of these farmers may have some dire need, and be willing to seek help. Of course, they would have to be hearing that it can be found, and where, and from someone they may be trusting. If such a thing is possible."

He looks back towards the hives. "So what are you finding about our new wards?"

Post Posted: Thu Jun 21, 2018 11:47 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"What about it makes it icky?" Felix asks.

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 1:09 am 
"It would need to be most dire indeed to bring in an outsider," says Zalasbra. "I could make it known that you are willing to be helpful. But expect nothing to come of it."

"I am finding a number of most interesting similarities to honey bees, and a number of more interesting differences."

Zalasbra begins to launch into a detailed discussion of Blood Bee behaviour.

--------------

"It makes my skin crawl," says Piper, with a shudder. "It doesn't hurt, it's just... icky."

Post Posted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:57 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix raises an eyebrow in curiosity.

"Does turning it into steel make it worse?"

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:43 am 
Piper contemplates the question.

"It won't make it any more icky," she eventually pronounces. "Some types of steel would be less icky."

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I suppose I can work with that. Wouldn't want you to feel too awful bad," Felix smiles. If nothing else comes up, he goes back to getting ready.

Felix's general goal is to make trade with the locals and chase rumors. Use his Contacting skill to chase rumors of magic artifacts and establish a network of people he can talk to in each town they visit. Use his Rapport skill to make friends and trade for coin, food, and iron to bring back to the ship. He'll fill up the carts and return them to the colony, use the iron to make some steel tools, and go further out chasing more rumors and trading for more goods.

Last edited by Kajin on Sat Jun 23, 2018 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:07 pm 
Nate goes along to keep food on the table, as extra security, and to keep everyone from getting lost. He also has a few leads from one of Martell's lackys he wants to follow up on.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG