Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Mar 23, 2019 5:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Preceptor Vanire is the head of the Pandion Knights. We've encountered him a bunch of times. We first encountered him here. He helped us fight a Smoke Demon here.

Here he is at the ship talking with Captain Argent about what we need to save the Queen. You were there for that one, this time.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:52 am 
Artificial vanilla flavoring and the like. With some cheap, basic chemical feedstock and a moderately competent chemist, we could have another cash cow to peddle. Add in that ice cream, and, well....

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:02 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Ice cream stands would be great. We could probably make a lot of profit off of those. Add that to the list.

Two bath houses, one luxury for the rich and one public for the poor. A hospital. Maybe we could open a restaurant? Lots of ways for us to open businesses and generate obscene amounts of profit.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:55 am 
Don't forget indoor plumbing. Cimmura still smells like a city that uses cesspits, because it is a city that uses cesspits.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:56 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I don't think indoor plumbing will catch on if people have to pay for it. Maybe luxury bathrooms for the rich could be a way to make money, but for the most part if we installed indoor plumbing it'd likely be more as a public service. Unless we could convince the Primate to pay us to do it, which I doubt.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:26 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Once the Terrans are using local dirt for agriculture they can raise actual vanilla. Hydroponics bays are flexible, and finding the raw materials to make greenhouses should not be all that hard.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:37 pm 
Not the hydroponics bays for vanilla, but a room to it's own on the ship all the same, orchids can be bitchy about their environment and i don't wanna waste any that survived until we have a better grasp of the weather.

There is a greenhouse alternative that doesn't require glass and is basically a giant tent, so we can experiment with farming outside with minimal risk to whatever crops we're growing.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:18 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
We've got inflatable domes that could probably be used as greenhouses.

As for the religious issues, you are indeed right that Felix isn't the most pious person. He's not seeking power by trying to get colonists into the Pandion Knights, though. He's concerned with placing agents loyal to Terran society wherever they can be placed so as to spread our influence and send back to us real time updates about the goings on of the world around us. In all likelihood he won't go through with it, though, since he likes Vanire and doesn't want to place both parties at odds with each other.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 5:43 pm 
Updated Full Sheet

-

Dr Samantha Redgrave, PhD in Agricultural Sciences

1. Sam grew up on the farm her family had been running for generations. Though she could never spend her life here - a fate she was saved from when her little brother happily fell in love with the farm the same way their father had - the life she had there was still meditative and comforting. There was something soothing about the methodical work and the animals who followed her around in hopes she would spawn a treat. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say that Samantha's childhood friends were all farm animals, while the humans she spent time with were picked based on their patience in listening to her talk about those animals.

Aspect: Animals Are Better Than People
Aspect: Down and Dirty

2. Spending her entire like up until 18 splitting her free time between the family farm and volunteering at the local vet who serviced the area's farm, Samantha felt that the obvious next step was to go to college for Agricultural Sciences, her long term plan to find a way to help the farms she grew up around thrive into the future. Her continued lack of human social life was largely due to her loosing hours to the library, reading everything from farm reports to proposals for more efficient seeding techniques. Childhood nights spent awake helping animals through their labor prepared her for college all-nighters, and it wasn't long till she perfected the timing of caffeine throughout the next day so she'd be bright-eyed and bushy tailed till the moment she could pass out.

Aspect: Hyperfocus
Aspect: Burn the Midnight Oil

3. It took years of pouring over literal piles of documents, long enough to get through most of her PhD, but Samantha discovered and presented the perfect pest control. The flower (most of the base was various rose varieties) produced a pheromone that attracted all forms of insects, pollenator and pest alike. However, if a pest happened to munch on one of those shortly before or after ingesting a supplement easily added to watering systems, it's systems would shut down. The flower was surprisingly hardy, considering the fragility of some of the species it was spliced from, and the concentrations weren't enough to affect anything bigger than a harvest mouse.

Aspect: Make It Work
Aspect: I Didn't Of That

4. Samantha liked the library at this school, and as the students had the vaguest excuse to Be Extremely Sober And Not At All Intoxicated, the building was even more blessedly quiet than usual.

Or, it had been.

The kind of punk that was sticking it to the man in brand new Doc Martens and parents paying all their expenses from behind a white picket fence in suburbia was not only deeply influenced by one or more illicit substances, but was also giving the engineering major who she'd quietly existed near a few times trouble because the man sitting quietly on his laptop refused to magically make a keg appear.

The look of stunned horror as Samantha, having walked up, started explaining to the faux-punk the intricacies of breeding a stallion in excruciating detail more than made up for the disturbance to her study time, especially since it had had it's intended effect and the engineering major quietly made his escape.

If they shared a table in the library after that, well. They had an understanding.

Aspect: Oh, Look, A Wild Distraction!
Aspect: Did You Say Horse Fleshlight Or Am I Going Insane?

5. They had about a month left before going into cryo freeze, and the pseudo barracks they had been set up in to feign a sense of organization were anything but. Through all the hubbub, Sam concentrated on avoiding the woman who seemed to think that, as a many-times published Doctor in Agricultural Studies, her job on the new planet was to start a Jamba Juice. Skirting around corners and ducking into an alley behind one of the enormous structures, Samantha skidded to a stop.

There was a beautiful garden, and the most green she'd seen outside a lab since she'd been convinced to go on this mission. Flowers dotted the little alcove, and Sam found herself easily falling into conversation about gardening with the woman working on it, who introduced herself as Irina.

They met there almost every day for the rest of the week, bonding over the need for something to do to distract from the impending freeze and lamenting the flowers that might not make it on the trip due to their "non essential" nature.

And if a packet of chamomile tea made it's way to Irina's bunk at about the same time as chamomile seeds were added to the seed library, well. The Lord works in mysterious ways.

Aspect: Green Thumb
Aspect: Quiet Softy

6. When Samantha was just learning how to walk, her parents liked to joke that she was always trying to escape. It stopped being a joke when her grandmother looked away for just a moment too long, and Samantha just...disappeared.

At first they weren't too worried - after all, how far could one toddle go? The longer she was gone, the more their worry grew, till the entire Redgrave clan was combing every inch of the ranch.

When they found her, she was sitting calmly in the middle of a circle of mushrooms, gumming thoughtfully on a shiny new horseshoe last seen 5 feet off the ground in the stables on the opposite side of the property.

The Redgraves agreed that the event was just One Of Those Things That Happens That We Don't Talk About, and the horseshoe was turned into a necklace her parents made sure she'd never take off, even to the point of gilding it so it would stop giving her hives.

Aspect: Totally Not A Changeling
Aspect: That's That Stuff We Just Do Not Talk About.
Aspect: Between You, Me, And The Wall

7. When a college student is left alone on a college campus and is without supervision for the first time in their young life, they are naturally in want of illicit substances. When the college in question has one of the countries leading Agricultural Sciences programs, the illicit substance most readily available (due to the fact that it could be grown as part of a official school project) was weed.

The Dean of Agricultural Sciences stared across his desk at Samantha Redgrave, and was already second-guessing having called her into his office. There was no way she had anything to do with it.

Still, it couldn't hurt to ask...

"Ms Redgrave?"
"Yes, Sir?"
"Would you happen to know anything about weed being grown on campus?" The answering look of confusion didn't even begin to prepare him for her answer.
"Do you mean like dandelions, sir? I think Melissa Bennett is doing an experiment on selective weed killers."

Her expression was confusion warring with the instinct to be helpful, not a trace of a lie or guilt to be found. He let her go back to her work soon after, idly wondering how much time she spent interacting with students she wasn't forced to talk to.

About a half an hour later in the woods of the campus, Sophie Lavellan and Calder Witt were staring at Samantha like deer in high beams. No one had questioned the "Closed For Maintenance" sign on the door of one of the rooms in the Orchid grow-house, and had therefore never come across what could graciously be called their weed farm. Samantha rolled her eyes.

"Look, I was willing to ignore this, as apparently no one else thought it was strange that there hasn't been a maintenance report put in for this lab since the sign went up, but you've gotten the attention of the Dean, which is bringing it dangerously close to being a me problem. So what you're going to do is find out where your leak is and seal it up, because I refuse to have to deal with the wrath that will come down from high if the local feds decide to lock down the building and people can't get to their plants." Sophie pulled herself together slightly before Calder.
"You're- not going to tell on us?"
"No, because it's frankly impressive you've gotten this far, and the way you've retrofitted it for less heat and more ventilation is apparently doing well." She rubbed a leaf between her fingers and looked around the room. "No, as long as you cut me in, I'll double check your work and get you in contact with the Hospitality student who keeps trying to get me to do this for him."
"Deal."
"Neat. Now, who trimmed these, a fluffin weedwacker? It'll be much happier if you cut like this..."

Aspect: What Is A Weed, Sir?
Aspect: Bureaucratic Navigator
Aspect: Plant Whisperer

Skills

5- Science
4- Academics, Survival
3- Investigation, Mysteries, Resolve
2- Weapons (Farming Implements), Guns, Alertness, Drive
1- Deceit, Burglary, Rapport, Sleight of Hand, Empathy

Stunts

Psychic
Defensive Driving
Scientific Genius (Agricultural Sciences)
Bounce Back
Artificer
Fortuneteller

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Oooh, fortunetelling could prove quite useful to us. I suppose nothing is stopping Arkady from taking a crack at that as well, now that I've looked it up and seen what all we're looking at here. He'd probably go about it by praying to God and asking for advice, then receiving said advice.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:21 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Kajin wrote:
As for the religious issues, you are indeed right that Felix isn't the most pious person. He's not seeking power by trying to get colonists into the Pandion Knights, though.

That thought wasn't actually aimed at Felix. There's an old thought running around that people turn to the devil because they want results. Much like the Count's sister, actually. Arkady is wondering how many folks will turn to worshiping the local gods because they actually produce concrete results; though from what he's heard the Elene god doesn't do that much. Azash, now...some Terrans will find him attractive. He suspects that's going to have to be watched.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 8:32 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
There's a rather vile person in my backstory that I haven't revealed yet. He's somewhere on the ship and I have no doubt in my mind that he'll become a major worshiper of Azash should he ever become awakened. He'd fit right in with them.

I don't think we're in any danger of losing colonists to other gods for their power, though. The only real power on offer is magic, and it's entirely possible we can pick that up on our own by finding our own teachers. Or find magic books to self study. Or even luck into discovering the principles through trial and error and learning the hard way. We should definitely set aside some time to find an arcane workshop. Figure out what makes it work so we can duplicate it for the ship and give Arkady and Samantha a place to practice artificing in.

I kind of wonder how the two of you will differently pursue artificing? I figure Arkady will make the physical artifacts while Samantha would possibly make potions and enchanted plants and animals and whatnot.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:12 pm 
“Here, take this rock.”

“Why?”

“It’s a Special rock.”

“Why’s it special?”

“Because it is. Do you not want it, I can take it-“

“No, I’ll take the rock.”

“Mmkay.”

Post Posted: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:48 pm 
Ooooh, yeah, fortune telling will be fun. Especially since it's the player who gets to pick what the fortune says (but the more cloaked in obscure metaphor it is, the higher the odds of the fortune being a true one...)

And yeah. Totally not a changeling.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
So far as enchantments go, I was suspecting that Arkady might come up with something interesting in the line of holy water. Besides vodka, that is.

Oh, and Arkady is waiting to hear what Piper has to say about Terrans and destiny.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG