Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 1:16 pm 
It seems that when well supplied with kisses and other gestures of affection, Piper is more than capable of managing short bursts of invisibility that cover herself, all three Terrans, Berit, and Sir Ulath.

Only, seen from the inside, one questions whether it is, precisely, invisibility. The group can certainly see each other, at least. People walking past step around you, without walking into you - and without ever looking directly at you. Even when you move into the bad side of town, the burly fellow casually cleaning under his fingernails with a very sharp knife in front of the Thieves' Guild door moves aside for you without bothering to look up.

Nothing and no-one stops you from simply strolling into the building, thanks to Piper's spell.

The inside of the warehouse is richly decorated, with opulent tapestries and carpets in sharp contrast to the outside. Dozens of people move about in an organised manner - here two burglars argue over a map, there a young boy quickly sorts a pile of jewellery into different boxes, over on the other side of the room two young ladies talk shop and are thoroughly and deliberately ignored by everyone else.

In the middle of the room sits an enormously fat man, clearly the leader; everyone else defers to him, his orders are carried out swiftly, and he's keeping a proprietary eye on everything.

And once you're in the building, Piper stops playing her tune, ending with a triumphant flourish.

Every single thug, lowlife, and burglar in the room reacts to your sudden appearance out of nowhere by drawing a weapon. A forest of steel points points at the little group - swords, knives, crossbow bolts, arrows, daggers.

Last edited by CCC on Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 29, 2017 2:28 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Sup," Felix says, waving his hand nonchalantly. His rifle is on a sling hanging loose at his side, his hand nowhere near it. "Heard someone wanted to see us, so we dropped by."

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:23 am 
The enormously fat man stands up. Slowly.

"Gentlemen," he says. "You understand, I'm sure, that there's normally a certain protocol to this sort of thing? A friendly visit does not happen uninvited. It does not happen unexpectedly. And there is a reason for that. Do you gentlemen perhaps know the reason? And if not, then can you guess the reason?"

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:58 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
*Arkady is trying to read everyone here. Especially the guild master and anyone pointing a missile weapon at him.*

Arkady replies: "Protocol. Of course, our manners are terrible. Sir Guild Master, allow me to present Sir Berit and Sir Ulath. Their acquaintances thought we should meet without everyone in Mama Hargas knowing about it." He glances around and adds: "Some of the things on our list, well, they are needing considerable discretion."

Post Posted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:29 pm 
Arkady: Empathy: +4 Roll: -1 Caught By Surprise: +2 Total: +5
Thief King: Resolve: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4

For a moment, the head thief is surprised at their entry - and in that surprised reaction, Arkady notices something important. This man is the King Of Thieves - but that's not a hereditary role. Thieves don't generally have a society that works well with hereditary roles. He has the role because he commands the respect and admiration of his men; because they believe that following his rule will be a good deal better for them than not following it. And part of that is that he's ruthless enough to destroy anyone who tries to oust him from his perch.

By appearing out of nowhere, in the middle of his secret base, in front of all his thugs, with apparent knowledge of things he did not expect you to know, you've inadvertently challenged his leadership. The fact that he hasn't ordered you killed yet means that he thinks there's some other way for him to retain control - or maybe just that he's willing to entertain the possibility for a few minutes, or perhaps that he's hesitant to harm a Church Knight. But if he doesn't find some other way to maintain his reputation as the best criminal in the area, he may just have you shot instead, to maintain his position...

Arkady: Empthy: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +4
Armed Thugs: Rapport: +4 Roll: -2 Total: +2

The thugs are easier to read. These are people who have killed, who would kill again. They recognise you're not currently threatening them - well, not directly, at least - so they'll either nervously pull the trigger immediately, or wait for the Thief King to order them before they shoot.

Well. They didn't shoot immediately, at least. Which means they're waiting for orders. They don't look like they'll hesitate even a moment, if the Thief King gives the order to shoot. And sheer numbers mean they're almost certain to hit.

The Thief King snorts. "Mama Harga." He snorts again. "Mama Harga." He shakes his head. "Gentlemen. You are idiots. Now, you're going to explain what you think needs discretion, and why."

Post Posted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 9:45 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady glances at the others, then nods. "Very well. One of the poisons on our list is being used to kill someone the Pandions value very highly. My people have agreed to create an antidote for it, but we need a sample. While we are doing that, we intend to be creating antidotes for everything on the list. We are good at that sort of thing, and expect to need them ourselves eventually."

"Why the discretion? When we found out the name of the poison, two men had their lungs burned out from the inside by a fire demon before we could send it back to Hell. One of them had been indiscreet."

He shrugs. "Price aside, as a bonus we will provide you with doses of all the antidotes we create if your organization can fill our list without unwanted complications. You may find them useful."

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 2:39 am 
"So, I imagine," says the Thief King drily, "we can ignore all the poisons on the list which already have easily available antidotes. Now, you're going to tell us all who, exactly, is being poisoned, and with what."

Arkady: Empathy: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +6
Thief King: Rapport: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3

The Thief King seems to consider this at least worth following up - he's intrigued enough to hear you out, at least. Arkady is pretty sure there's a hidden trap in this question - the Thief King already knows at least one of the answers he's asking for, possibly both of them, and he's using that to estimate how forthcoming you are being with the actual truth.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:49 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady shrugs. "Her Majesty is being murdered with the only Rendorish poison on the list. You are a lot closer than Rendor, and hopefully less well supplied with death cultists."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:35 am 
The Thief King glares at the three of you, then waves his hand in a calming gesture. There's a general lowering of weapons - they're not put away, they're just not exactly pointed directly at you anymore.

"Gentlemen," he says, "you are idiots. And because you are idiots, I am going to explain this next part very carefully." He turns and heads back to his desk, moving as slowly as one can expect such an enormously fat man to move. "I, gentlemen, have personally committed every crime in the book except three." He sits down, his reinforced chair creaking in protest. "I have never had carnal knowledge of an animal, because, quite frankly, the idea sickens me. I've never committed barratry - not to my knowledge, anyhow - because I have no idea what barratry is. And I've never committed treason. Do you know why I have never committed treason?"

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:40 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady opines: "It would be hard for anyone in your guild to survive what happened next, I am guessing."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 1:03 am 
"Yes, but not because of any official response," says the Thief King. "It is because treason destabilises a country. Some people - short-sighted, thoughtless people, people much like yourselves - might think that a destabilised political situation is good for thieves and murderers. Such people would be wrong. It's good for about two weeks, and then there's nothing left to steal. No, as thieves, we want a stable political situation. We want a city that merchants can get rich in, so that when we rob them, we can get something worth our while."

He picks up a dagger, and idly toys with it.

"And now you gentlemen tell me that someone is going around summoning demons, and that the Queen was affected, not by the falling-sickness which took her father, but by a rare and powerful poison that you might be able to find an antidote to. Demons, gentlemen, are bad for business. And the Primate is bad for business. The Queen had her flaws, but she sharply discouraged bribery and encouraged policies which gave merchants a fair playing field. Neither of which the Primate does. Therefore, gentlemen, I am minded to be sympathetic to your request, because if the Queen recovers, then it is to my benefit as well."

He casually stabs his dagger almost to the hilt in his wooden desk.

"So, this is what we will do, gentlemen. There is not a single speck of Darestim to be had in the entire city of Cimmura - lack of demand, you understand. So, you will go to Rendor. I will provide for you a representative, who will know where to go to find Darestim, and how much to pay for it. You will take my representative with you, to the city of Jiroch in Rendor, and from there follow his directions. You will obtain your sample, and you will return my representative to me unharmed. If my representative is harmed in any permanent manner or killed, you will receive the same treatment. Should you succeed in your quest and save the Queen, then you will arrange for me a brief audience with her - half an hour will be sufficient - at which time the Queen and I will discuss the matter of a suitable quid pro quo for my services to the Crown. Is this sufficiently clear, or do you require it in smaller words?"

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 12:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady smiles slightly. "I am sure Her Majesty will be finding the conversation enlightening. And you would be finding barratry is rarely worth the time and effort needed. Simony is much more cost effective."

"So where and when will your representative be joining us? Here and now, or outside the city later?"

Post Posted: Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:32 pm 
"Right now," says the Thief King drily, "you'd be able to find him at Harga's House of Ribs, where he's waiting to meet you and bring you here." He writes a note and hands it to one of the thugs standing nearby. "Go deliver this to young Talen, would you?"

Post Posted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 3:50 am 
As soon as the thug leaves (at some speed) the Thief King glares at your little party. "That will be all, gentlemen," he says. "You are dismissed."

Post Posted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 1:21 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady nods. "Very well; your representative can bring the other poisons on the list with him." Turning to the others, he switches to English: "We should probably be going; there are kittens to play with and apples to eat back in the chapter house."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG