Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:52 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Circumstances being what they are, it could also go down as Piper City or Piperburg.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:17 am 
Kajin wrote:
It was just a thought. I figure once we get the Queen awake and stabilized we can take tissue samples to grow her some new, undamaged organs. Eight months might be enough time to get that set up, right? Especially with regular shipments of food expediting out colony's growth.

You're probably going to want to mention it to Dr. Vanderbilt, get the ball rolling the right direction.

As to the name of the city, you can try to persuade the rest of the colonists to accept any name you like. I don't think the Captain will agree to calling the city 'Bob', though.

Piper will be very flattered if anyone suggests naming the city after her, and even more flattered if you manage to find out her actual name first.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 1:57 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I was more than a little disappointed that I couldn't figure her name out from what she was hinting at.

When we get back to the ship to prepare for the journey to Rendor, Felix will mention the whole "growing organs" thing to Vanderbilt and see what she thinks.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:00 am 
She wasn't actually hinting at her name at the time. Her name, like Vanire, Sephrenia, and Zalasbra, isn't exactly easy to act out in charades, especially when you and her don't have the same cultural context to work from.

I'm almost certain you don't have enough information to guess at her name yet. (You could probably guess at her title - and you'd almost certainly recognise it as hers if you heard it - but not her name).

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:51 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
How much rations did we get? If the wagons are still hooked up to the trucks and they're letting us use them for this, how long would these supplies last for our people and how many of them can we feed at the same time?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:15 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Did Piper ride all the way back or disappear somewhere on route?

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 4:59 pm 
You got quite a lot of rations. If you ask David, he'll go on for several minutes about emergency food supplies (and the necessity of having those), bootstrapping a colony from nowhere, and having to re-do all his spreadsheets, and leave you with the distinct impression that these supplies are going to speed up the establishment of a Terran city - it allows him to wake up more people sooner, who can then in turn grow more food, and so on. (At this early stage, it's apparently quite a dramatic long-term difference).

Piper rode back with you all the way. When you get out of the van and greet everyone, Piper will be there, running around and giving everyone hugs and kisses, and there will only be one of her (and, somehow, no-one noticed whether she came out of the vans or out of the ship).

Post Posted: Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:36 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I wonder if, while we're here, it would be a good idea for Nathan to spend all his time hunting while we're preparing for the trip. The supplies provided are great, but having even more food on hand would be most excellent.

EDIT
Also, sorry to have Felix gloss over your character, Dodger. He didn't see Roger talking Elene and just figured he was a colonist the Captain woke up for one purpose or another. He was kind of focused on getting things setup for the next leg of the journey, so he wasn't paying anything else much mind.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:13 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
No worries. =)

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:58 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
A couple of things I realize I wasn't specific about. I didn't want the crossbows to look like Rendorish designs. I just wanted us to have an excuse to be carrying ranged weapons without people wondering why we're carrying these oddly shaped metal rods and investigating them more closely.

Secondly, the ground wheat explosive I was referring to is an actual explosive used in WWII, designed expressly to be hidden as bags of flour. It could actually be cooked and eaten with no ill effects, beyond the person eating it noting that it had an odd taste to it. The way you set it off was by applying a small charge or blast cap to it. Creating something so specific would probably be difficult with the materials they have ready access to, though, so Felix doesn't have his heart set on it.

EDIT
Also, if Arkady wants to Cold Read our Styric guest, I'd be more than willing to provide a fate point to boost his roll.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:05 am 
Well, you can certainly have guns that look like crossbows. Worst-case scenario, they look like foreign crossbows made by someone who'd heard of Rendor and tried to design it to fit in.

As to the flour explosive - that is weird, and I am surprised to learn that such a thing even exists. (I'm going to assume that so are the ship's scientists, but a few minutes with the on-board computers will give you the relevant formulae if you know what the stuff's called, and they'll be able to synthesise it - or at least try - from there).

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:52 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
The military codename was Aunt Jemima, after a brand of pancake mix. I figure with level 3 science, Felix would have at least heard of the stuff being a rather interesting chemical compound.

Also, I don't want the crossbow designs to look like anything of Rendor make. That's too eye catching and weird if they don't have crossbows. I just want the design to look like normal crossbows without being too fancy. That way we'll have an excuse to carry our guns around without people suspecting them of being some kind of magic tool or whatever. Or when we start shooting we can just cover them back up so they look like crossbows again and feign ignorance about where the loud noises came from to anyone that comes passing by.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:20 am 
Bullet wounds are going to look significantly different to crossbow bolts. But as long as you don't actually try to fire them, you can definitely disguise guns as crossbows.

That Aunt Jemima stuff is really weird. I'm going to have to roll Science for it.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:59 am 
Sometimes low-tech is better than high-tech.

Incidentally, C4 can be burned perfectly safely. It is somewhat smokey, however.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:17 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
When Arkady catches wind of the flour explosive project he'll relate that he's come across the old recipe to mix RDX (the base explosive of most plastic explosives) with flour. You can safely make bread out of it, and to set it off you simply wet it and press it together to get out the air pockets before you insert the blasting cap. You just can't eat it; RDX is somewhat poisonous, and the consumer would certainly notice. For the curious, this came out of the CIA black book of improvised explosives and munitions which was compiled for the Vietnam war, which is still happily floating around the battlefields of the Earth they left (where Arkady saw it). Indeed, there may even be a copy in the data banks somewhere. The RDX (Cyclonite back in WW II) can be refined from plastic explosives if needs must, or they may well be able to make more.

You can burn any military explosive safely in small quantities (up to half a kilo) but when the pile gets big enough low order detonations start to become likely. Indeed, burning in small quantities it is the suggested way of getting rid of them in a pinch.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG