Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:11 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
I've been assuming that the PC's earth is pretty much parallel to our own in the not too distant future with regard to references like Arthur C. Clarke. Is that incorrect?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:26 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Yeah, the ship was built and we launched not too far from modern time. I think maybe 50 years into our future? I doubt much is different.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:06 am 
Kajin wrote:
Can I use a fate point to say that we're in an out of the way room of the tea shop with only one doorway and no window? And also say that Felix dropped a small camera on a shelf where it'd be hidden so he could keep an eye out for people approaching? Presumably it'd be linked to his visor with a small window open in one eye to view the feed.

If you need me to I can say he used the time he's had to switch out the night vision upgrade for a computer interface that'll let him do this sort of thing.

For one FATE point, I'll allow an out-of-the-way room with only one door, no windows, and a seriously creaky floor in the hallway, guaranteed to creak like anything the moment anyone approaches. So no-one can come close without being obvious.

Dodger77 wrote:
I've been assuming that the PC's earth is pretty much parallel to our own in the not too distant future with regard to references like Arthur C. Clarke. Is that incorrect?

You are correct, Clarke's Third Law does exist. It's just that Captain Argent is not personally familiar with it (somehow, he's not much of a science fiction reader). David would have caught the reference in an instant.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:13 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Alright, this is sensitive information we're discussing so I'll spend the fate point to say we're in this area that's seriously hard to eavesdrop on as described above. About the computer interface option, though. Is that something I can do at some point, so my visor can link up to various electronic devices?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:22 am 
With enough preparation and the right Universal Gadget, you can have your visor remotely attached to a small camera, yes.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:29 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Earl of Lenda is aware we're trying to cure the Queen, right?

Also, since Nate hasn't said anything is he outside standing guard?

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:04 am 
Creaky floors can be avoided by simply not stepping on them. Nate is by the door keeping an eye on the hallway.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:07 am 
The Earl is aware that you're working with the Pandions, and he presumably knows that the Pandions are trying to save the Queen. And he did meet you in the throne room. I'm not sure if you've explicitly told him, but I think he's probably figured it out by now.

Unless someone is flying or crawling on the walls like Spiderman, they can't be in the hallway outside without stepping on the floor. There's simply nothing else there. Nonetheless, Nate has no trouble finding a spot just inside the room where he can see the corridor.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:54 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Pretty sure we encountered Mark and Marque in the city. As I recall they shied away from our magical, possibly haunted horseless carriages.

EDIT
Also, been wondering this for a while. Would the ship's hard drives have video footage of its own launch into space? For posterity? I imagine video of it could be taken by nearby bases, planes, and space stations as it ascended and beamed via laser to the ship itself. If we do have such a video, can I have a copy of it on my personal tablet so I can show the Earl?

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 8:56 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I suspect it was assembled and launched from space. A reaction drive strong enough to lift the ship would have flattened many thousands of square miles around the liftoff spot.

Post Posted: Fri Feb 24, 2017 9:11 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Man, watching it get built would have been a treat if that was the case. There'd be the issue of sending up the supplies and the people in a cost effective manner, though. I'm imagining some manner of rail gun system for the supplies. Perhaps an orbital elevator for the people and supplies that are too sensitive to be shot out of a magnetic cannon?

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:21 am 
Footage of the launch, yes (though, as Weremensh points out, said launch would have been from orbit). For cost reasons, a lot of the ship was actually made from materials refined from the asteroid belt and transported into low earth orbit - at a certain point, it becomes cheaper to build the processing equipment in the asteroid belt instead of shifting that amount of steel into orbit.

You've even got footage of the first few weeks of construction of the Mark II, though you've got no proof of whether or not the construction of the Mark II was ever actually completed.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:07 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'm assuming that tablet hasn't been stolen, since I don't think we had to walk through any crime riddled areas to get here? If it has, I'm rigging up small bombs to explode and take the fingers of anyone that tries to pickpocket me from here on out, and I'm hiding them inside shiny things.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:18 am 
You still have your tablet.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:50 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Should I roll Science as a teaching skill, here, so Felix can adequately explain any questions the Earl might have without us having to get too involved with the process?

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG