Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Massive tech or not, we still have better understanding of the way things work and hundreds, if not thousands more years of culture and livestock breeding backing us up.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I don't think truth serum exists, and even if it did I doubt any of us would have brought any with us.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:44 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
It depends a bit on what you mean by truth serum; there are things that come close enough known to exist, but they generally only work with calm subjects. A hostile one tends to have a bad trip and/or become incoherent. That said, I agree we're unlikely to have any but the crudest such drugs along unless one of us was planning to dabble in date rape and drop a tab or two of LSD to celebrate.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:24 pm 
Scopolamine from whatever counts as belladonna around here, mixed with a dab of ergot from some moldy grain. Maybe dose Adus with some THC first to chill him out.

And all of these from reasonably easy to find and accuire plants. It's the refining and getting the dose right thats the tricky part, but Nate is good at that.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:27 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I figure the interrogation will be over before you manage to get everything, even without testing the plants for the chemicals we need which we don't have the lab equipment for. Something to have on hand for the future, maybe, but I doubt we'll be able to use it now.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:35 pm 
Nate is a master herbalist, and Adus doesn't seem the type to break easily. It'll probably take awhile.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:27 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
If he can get away with it, mazel tov. I've read that in a pinch insulin can also work as a crude interrogation drug, and he can get that from the pancreases of the dead horses if he hustles.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:50 am 
Well, mechanically, it's going to come down to a roll. With some quite significant penalties, for not having a lab and for the vegetation still being more than a little alien. And Adus gets a roll to shrug it off.

...though, to be fair, even with all those penalties, you've got a better chance of getting useful information out of him than the Pandions do. Adus is not easy to break.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:28 am 
I would like to tag my I Don't Need No Steenking Infrastructure aspect to reroll, please.

Post Posted: Mon Oct 24, 2016 7:44 am 
Okay, have edited in the reroll.

...wow, that was a pretty good reroll. It's not going to make a difference until you ask him something, but you've now got a serum that'll work even against his massive endurance.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 1:54 am 
Saw this on the net.

http://newscenter.lbl.gov/2015/04/16/major-advance-in-artificial-photosynthesis/

Seems to be the kind of tech we would be using, especially if we were expecting to land on a planet with a CO2 atmosphere.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:24 am 
...interesting.

I'm not sure the bacteria would have survived the trip; but once replacement bacteria have been found, well, the rest of the system is still there and can be easily deployed in the labs on the Ship.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:28 am 
If seeds could have been preserved, then bacteria would have certainly survived. Possibly even ones we didn't want to survive. Bacteria are hardy little things.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:39 am 
Eh, it's not so much a matter of whether they survived, as it's a matter of whether or not they're still usable in the same way. The trip took long enough that they would have by now evolved into new and strange exotic strains of bacteria that may or may not still be recognisable (but which almost certainly took out their baseline ancestors).

It won't take long for someone back on the ship to find a replacement bacteria, though.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:30 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Evolve? I would have thought any microorganisms would be traveling the same way the people were; all but frozen solid and/or in spore form.

Not, I suppose, that it will be hard to get a sample of e coli...

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG