Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:03 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Something about Nathan Snow and St. Barbara, I assume.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Device. A cryo bomb made from a tightly compressed gas in liquid form that, when it bursts, releases the gas and rapidly sucks away heat from everything the gas touches. Felix had made it beforehand in case he needed to help put out a fire in rapid order (maybe from the bombs creating more fire than they were meant to).

Maybe a modification that lets him shoot it from the grenade launcher on his rifle as well as another modification to improve damage?

Post Posted: Sat Oct 29, 2016 5:41 pm 
A plain old vanilla CO2 fire extinguisher will do the trick.

Case in point:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WleXk7eu1tU

If time wasn't an issue, I'd have had Nate load up some shotshells with CO2 cartridges. Evidently they work quite well as ammunition.

Maybe that could be Felix's gadget. CO2 cartridges rigged for use in a shotgun as a fire suppressing system.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:51 am 
A one-off compressed-gas "freeze bomb" would certainly work as a Universal Gadget. A CO2 fire extinguisher freezes by decompression of gas, so I don't quite see how that would work in a cartridge - I can see a cartridge putting out a fire by removing the oxygen it feeds from, but I don't see why it would freeze an area. (Mind you, a fire extinguisher attached to a hose with a valve would also make a great universal gadget, and be reuseable for at least the duration of a single battle).

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:16 am 
A CO2 cartridge is under the same kind of compression as a fire extinguisher. When that gas is released abruptly, ( like when the cartridge ruptures because it hits something at ballistic speeds) it gets just as cold. The fact it contains less gas then the fire extinguisher is offset by the fact that you don't have to get close to the cloud.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:26 am 
...I should point out, then, that the last rifle bullet fired at it went right through this cloud without hitting anything solid. The cloud wouldn't rupture the cartridge.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 9:30 am 
Uhh.... that's where the gadget part comes in?

Okay you got me. But I do belive I'll be spending a FATE point on a fire extinguisher. If all else fails, I can throw it at the cloud and shoot it like in the movies and videogames.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Cryo bomb. First modification to let me shoot it out of my rifle's launcher. Second modification to give it freezing damage instead of explosive.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:55 am 
Oooooh. Everyone's in the same zone. Except Arkady.

...this could sting a little.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:06 am 
Hmmmm.

Kajin: You've got a +6 on your Guns roll to fire the grenade. You can set the difficulty to dive clear anywhere you like from +0 to +6 (this represents how much time you leave between calling out the warning and firing the shot); the same difficulty applies to both the enemies and allies.

Those who don't get out of the way (it's an athletics roll) are going to be out of this battle - not necessarily dead, but definitely in need of some heated blankets and warm soup at the very least. Those who do dive clear are still going to feel it.

Where will you set this difficulty?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:45 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'm not yelling, then firing. I'm telling them specifically to get away from it, then waiting for them to clear out before firing.

If it looks like that isn't going to happen, though, can't he just shoot towards the far side of it so that it has a harder time getting out of the blast than the others do?

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:53 pm 
The smoke cloud's not going to sit there and wait while everyone moves away. It's going to follow and attack. Any explosive that has a chance to hit it will also have a chance to hit allies. Explosives are dangerous in melee.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:16 pm 
I may edit my post.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:35 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Alright, what if they backed away and Felix drew its attention, then fired at it while it was coming for him? If Felix gets knocked out, big whoop. He wasn't contributing anything anyway beyond that and the freeze is nonlethal.

Post Posted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:54 pm 
The Pandions consider it their sworn duty to protect people(a category which includes Felix) from things like this. They're not going to let Felix take a risk that they're not taking the brunt of in dealing with this thing. They're fine with the idea of retreating for tactical advantage - but only if Nate and Felix retreat first.

(They'll also be fine with the idea of one of them pinning down the Cloud while Felix' freeze bomb goes off)

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG