Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:26 am 
This courtyard looks like it was never all that defensible to begin with. The 'castle' parts of Castle Radun extend to some very big, strong walls, a moat, and a drawbridge.

...and that's about it, really. The courtyard is just a big empty space that the local peasants can mill around in while waiting for someone else to deal with whatever's threatening them on the other side of the walls.

Post Posted: Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Here's how I see it going down mechanically, regardless of the actual contents of the plan.

Every day Arkady and Felix roll Engineering to go over the traps until there isn't anything that can be done to improve the design for what we go for. Every day Nathan rolls survival to hide the traps and make everything as natural looking as possible. Every day whoever has the highest leadership skill (I suspect Preceptor Vanire) rolls to organize the troops and go over the plan so that when the hit comes it's as hard to escape as possible. Then we spend the rest of the day doing... Whatever, to fill time. My hope is that the Count has money and he's willing to pay us for work around the castle.

Then we fast forward to the engagement and do the thing.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 4:04 am 
There will definitely be a timeskip before the fake Knights arrive. As soon as the plan is fully settled on, we'll have a montage...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:01 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Given the time frame, it will be easy enough to rig an electric ignition system for any explosive traps we might choose (and secure the radio so we don't set it off accidentally).

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 9:17 pm 
Not a bad idea. The first radio recievers were glass vials filled with iron fileings. They were non-conductive until a radio wave hit the antenna and boom. Conductivity. When they were used in wireless telegraph units they had a solinoid as a tapper to knock the fileings and break the connection. I don't think we'll need that bit. We can vary the reciving frequency by varying the length of the antenna or with a wire coil and slider. Use a simple battery made out of zinc and copper disks separated by paper or cloth and soak the whole mess in a vinegar or saltwater solution, and poof. Radio detonater. Not pretty, but simple and easy enough to be made on site in large quantities with local assistance.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 13, 2016 10:22 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
I was actually thinking about burying a wire or two. There's enough wrought iron around here that if the Terrans don't have enough wire then the locals can pull more.

The main problem with the crude radio receiver plan is that an inconvenient thunderstorm would set our charges off. We'd have to activate them all at the last minute (which would complicate hiding them), and we'd still be screwed if it was raining when the mooks arrive. On top of that fabricating enough of the units described would be way beyond the means of a count, even if the raw materials exist in those quantities. Enough glass would be very hard to come by, zinc essentially impossible, and we'd need to strip everyone in the county of all their coins to hope to get enough copper.

Post Posted: Thu Sep 15, 2016 12:58 am 
Burying a wire is probably going to work out better.

You know that there's sources of radio interference moving around; if one of those happens to come close at the wrong moment, a radio trigger could be set off prematurely.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 12:50 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
AOL: Dodger724
Hi guys!

I recently became enthralled with your game and I was wondering if you'd be open to another player character? I've got an inkling of a character idea forming, but I am a complete newb when it comes to the FATE system though which may slow me down a bit...

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:50 am 
I'd be open to another player character. Anyone else have any objections?

--------------

Once your character has been created, he'll wake up from cryogenic suspension back on the ship. Things aren't going to be what he expected when he went to sleep. I'll try to arrange for the PCs to return around the same time, or some other means for you to join the group from there; but first, what sort of character did you have in mind? I'll be quite happy to help you set up the character in terms of the FATE system.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 9:48 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
No objections.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:11 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The party has been rather suffering for want of a Vietnamese chef or a Kenyan teacher...sure, why not.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:14 pm 
The more the merrier.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 1:41 pm 
Weremensh wrote:
The party has been rather suffering for want of a Vietnamese chef or a Kenyan teacher...sure, why not.

...that was nothing close to what I had in mind but I'll take it into consideration. =P

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 4:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
What sort of character do you have in mind, exactly?

Post Posted: Fri Sep 16, 2016 5:26 pm 
A computer scientist / linguist. I was wondering if programming would fall under Engineering or Science (or maybe it would be a stunt?) Since you guys already have a lot of Engineers it seems unlikely you'd unfreeze another one, but then I suppose my character could suddenly and mysteriously unfreeze like you guys. That would have to be up to CCC of course.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG