Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 6:43 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Btw; the contract had better specify that the value of one tenth part of Terran production be turned over, and not a tenth of the actual production. The alternative (turning over a tenth of, say, any munitions made) is not tenable.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:10 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
My understanding is that it's income, but it wouldn't hurt just to make sure. Better to carefully control what we produce if that's the case.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:26 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Believe me, Arkady would not hesitate to veto a deal that requires giving the Man in Black modern weapons. The colonists will have to produce the sinews of war (we're committing to supply troops in an emergency, after all); and we should not share.

Though it should be easy enough to get the deal made that way; point out that much of Terran production is useless to anyone not doing things the way the Terrans do, and offer to produce equivalent value that the locals can use for their tithe. If he asks for an example, offer electricity; how's he going to carry away a tenth of it?

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:54 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I would not mind producing swords and spears for the local army. What we'd make is quality work and couldn't be used against us that effectively compared to what we'd be wielding.

I'd also suggest we get big into hunting. Wake up some hunters and have them combing through the forest for game to get pelts to go to our traders (while all the tasty meat goes to our bellies). Every tenth pelt goes to the Church while the rest go towards our funds. Every other day they forage for edible plants to supplement our diet, unless they're hunters only in which case we keep two teams of dedicated hunters and gatherers.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:13 pm 
I note that only production was specified, which should leave any capital generated through services free and clear. I am somewhat tempted to spend a FATE point to make a declaration regarding the wording of the contract.

I suspect Weremench and I might be thinking along similar lines in that regard.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:40 pm 
The contract does, indeed, specify one tenth of the value. The Elene church is prepared to accept one tenth of your chickens, but it would prefer the cash as cash is easier to move around.

balthazar - You're welcome to spend a FATE point to leave yourself loopholes if you like.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
So we make sure they only get cash or, if push comes to shove, something strategically or tactically worthless.

Once I get a chance to get onto the radio I'll suggest to Captain Argent to start getting hunters up and awake so we can build up a solid supply of furs to trade in. The Church won't expect them to know about the deal before we get back, so anything we sell between now and when our characters get back will be without the burden of taxation and tithe. So long as we immediately use the money (or the furs themselves in barter) to trade for vegetables and whatnot we should be fine.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:55 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady would be happy to donate the fate point he got for having his aspect tagged to leave a loophole or two about who will judge what Terran production is actually worth. Especially since a conversion value between Terran goods and local cash could easily get messy (some of them being literally priceless).

Edit: I'm not sure if hunting would be considered 'production', anyway. Down that road lies the prospect of having to give the Elene church the cash value of 1/10 of the wood we cut...

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:01 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'm under the assumption everyone wants to leave. If someone posts something to the contrary I'll edit my post, though I don't see any reason to stay with the Primate or Regent.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 09, 2016 10:21 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
We just need to find out if we need to handle loopholes in game, or if that can be handled from the OOC thread.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:29 am 
I was just going to make a declaration that the contract was poorly worded, making the contract the sort of thing a good lawyer would have a field day with, and a really good lawyer could shred into confetti in an afternoon.

Things like the contract specifying only that the payment be made to the Elane church, and not the Primate specifically, or titheing Terran production, while making no mention of income raised by services rendered. Things like defining the borders of Terran land as where the trees stop growing.

Stuff like that.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:22 am 
Weremensh wrote:
We just need to find out if we need to handle loopholes in game, or if that can be handled from the OOC thread.

You can spend FATE points to create loopholes in the OOC thread, if you like.

balthazar wrote:
I was just going to make a declaration that the contract was poorly worded, making the contract the sort of thing a good lawyer would have a field day with, and a really good lawyer could shred into confetti in an afternoon.

Things like the contract specifying only that the payment be made to the Elane church, and not the Primate specifically, or titheing Terran production, while making no mention of income raised by services rendered. Things like defining the borders of Terran land as where the trees stop growing.

Stuff like that.

That works, So, you're spending a FATE point to get "Poorly Worded Contract" as an Aspect (attached to the forest/swamp)?

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:38 am 
Make it so, number one.

(Yes, I'm spending the FATE point to make the contract poorly worded.)

(Netflix also now has ALL of the Star Trek, so, yeah.)

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:44 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I'd suggest the contract be Worded in Terran Favor instead of Poorly Worded so our enemies will be less able to tag it for their own benefit.

Post Posted: Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:46 am 
balthazar wrote:
Make it so, number one.

(Yes, I'm spending the FATE point to make the contract poorly worded.)

(Netflix also now has ALL of the Star Trek, so, yeah.)

Done. Nathan now has two FATE points left.

Kajin wrote:
I'd suggest the contract be Worded in Terran Favor instead of Poorly Worded so our enemies will be less able to tag it for their own benefit.

Isn't that half the fun of such an Aspect?

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG