Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:22 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix frowns at Arkady's mention of Piper. It's something he hadn't considered, but makes no mention of it. No reason to get riled up about it right now. Something to discuss later, definitely.

"The solar panels on the outside of the hull are barely enough to keep all emergency functions online during the day," Felix says to Arkady in response to his question about power. "Right now the rest of our power beyond that is coming from a handful of windmills that we spent the first few days setting up. It's enough to bring the ship out of emergency power saving mode and let us keep one non emergency system online at a time, but we could definitely stand to have more of it."

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:26 pm 
Thomas nods. "Sounds good," he says.

Piper's eyes flicker from one human to the other, always looking at whoever is talking. She continues playing her tune, but softly, so it's easy to talk over.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Alright," Felix nods at Thomas. Turning around, he talks to Nate and Arkady. "Nate already knows this, but since you're awake and speak the local language I'll tell you. I'm working on a translation program for our colonists. Since the three of us have an intuitive understanding of it, I'd like your help feeding lines into it so we can more easily teach our people to communicate with the locals. After we're done with work today I'd like to spend at least a little bit of time tonight working on the code and recording lines. You guys want to help?"

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 5:57 pm 
Nate shrugs at Ulath. "I've had that tomahawk for years. It's bound to have gotten a little worn."

"I've been kicking away at a list of common phrases, but haven't been having much luck, so I'm game."

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 6:16 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Not to mention the multiple thousands of years it spent in your storage locker," Felix replies. He finishes off his plate and gets up. "I'm done eating, I believe. Gonna go take a look at the water distillation facility, if anyone wants to come with."

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady finishes what he was eating, and says "I may be a bit, hmm, fuzzy yet to examine ship systems. Why don't I go see what we have in storage; generators, water purification plants, pot stills, that sort of thing. Axes, perhaps. And later I would be happy to help your program. Tell me, how much of the ship's computer system is on line?"

Afterwards he looks at the two knights, and switches to the local language: "We may be busy for a while. What do you two wish to do?"

Post Posted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 9:55 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"The ship's computer systems are all online and completely functional, as far as I can tell," Felix tells Arkady. "They were the first thing we had to bring online since it wouldn't let us start waking people up otherwise."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:15 am 
Sir Ulath passes Nathan's axe back. "A properly cared-for battleaxe can be used by your descendants for generations," he says. "It builds up its own reputation after a while."

Timothy Turner (engineer) and Thomas Swale (farmer) follow Felix to look at the water distillation apparatus and the plumbing...

Felix: Engineering: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4

There are a few problems with leaky joints and suchlike, which Felix estimates will take his team about an hour to solve. Then all the plant will need is power.

--------------

Arkady does indeed feel a touch fuzzy; it takes the edge off his reactions and incidentally prevents him from being able to use any Stunts (said fuzziness will last at least until such time as he has Stunts).

"We finished with the smokehouse before lunch," says Sir Bevier, "so we can help with something else, if you like."

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Alright, boys. Let's get started."

Felix sets to work on repairing all of the pipe work and keeps an eye out for anything else that may need fixing. Once he and his team are done with that he'll go to the warehouse to get another power source to set up. Wind mills seem to be doing the trick for the time being, but once they get more people awake they'll need to see about getting one of the more difficult power generators up and running.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 2:53 am 
After lunch, Nate packs up some gear and heads out so do a proper survey of the land around the ship. He's looking for useful mineral deposits and fuel sources such as coal or cracks where natural gas comes to the surface. Wood from trees and peat from the swamp will work, but need to be dried first, and a good fossil fuel deposit would go a long way towards getting the ship fully powered and keeping it that way.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:35 pm 
Felix and his two assistants work on the plumbing. There's no sign of where the water that used to be in here has gone, but after a while the piping is all in working order again; once the little pump by the river has had time to refill the ship's tanks, the ship will have no lack of water.

Then they move on to a windmill...

Felix: Engineering: +5 Roll: +1 Total: +6

The windmill takes a few hours to put up; Felix and co (including Piper, who helps out be holding tools and torches and playing music) are just about done as the sun sets.

--------------

Meanwhile, Arkady starts looking through the ship's equipment lockers. After some hunting, it becomes clear that the answer to "do we have it in storage" is pretty near always "yes", as long as "it" is something that can be made of metal or plastic. It also becomes clear that some assembly will be required.

--------------

Finally, Nate goes on a mineral survey, accompanied by the Knights (who point out, quite reasonably, that you've already found a manticore and a cockatrice nest in the region, so if someone's going to head out of the ship he should probably not do so alone).

Nathan: Science: +0 Roll: -1 Total: -1

Nathan is unable to find any mineral deposits, but he does have a fairly pleasant afternoon doing so.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:40 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Whew, good work today," Felix says, wiping sweat off his brow as they get the last piece of the windmill in place and got it up and running. "Tomorrow we'll turn it all on to see if everything is in working order. Make sure we got all the leaks. Then we'll distill the water down and get to work on the fertilizer refinery. Maybe see if any of the lighting in hydroponics needs fixing and take inventory on what seeds survived the journey."

Felix bids Thomas and Timothy goodbye for the evening and heads back aboard the ship to grab himself some dinner and sequesters himself at one of the computers to begin work on the translation program. Anyone that wants to help is welcome.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 3:44 am 
Nathan: Survival: +4 Roll: +0 Total: +4

By the time Nathan returns to the ship, he may not have found any mineral deposits, but he is able to produce a very good map of the nearby area, which could be an invaluable aid to future nearby exploratory efforts.

The nearby area now gains the Aspect "Well Mapped", which can be tagged when appropriate

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 4:57 am 
After getting back, Nate grabs a sandwich and does what he can to help Felix get the new software up and running.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 9:28 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Arkady finds a pot still suitable for making methanol and a fuel cell and brings them out of storage. He also looks up his personal effects and retrieves them. Then he heads down to help with the translation program.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG