Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 4:28 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
Nate quickly summerizes what Sir Bevier has said about magic.

"It seems to be used primarily as a form of very imprecise artillary, capable of much destruction, but requiring what I would guess to be at least platoon strength to achive any results at all, and company strength to be effective. Additionaly, only knights of the church, like our friends here, are trained in the use of magic, and only as a secondary skill to use of arms. Thankfully they seem to be somewhat independant of the local government. Other, more specialized spellcasters may be able to achive more precise results with fewer people, but the only groups who would have those spellcasters in any numbers are the Styrics, who primarily remain neutral, and the Zemocs, who you've alreasy been briefed on."

Nate pauses for dramatic effect.

"In short, magic is not something we want to face at this time, but as long as we can avoid starting a war with the elene church, it shouldn't be a problem. I would, however recommend forming diplomatic ties with the styric people. I don't like the fact that thy're widely persecuted by just about everyone, and I have a feeling that we're going to need spellcasters at some point. An alliance would benifit both parties."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2016 8:18 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I'll see what I can do, but a fair amount of areas are currently in disrepair and undergoing maintenance. Efforts to restore them are taking all available manpower and until the job is finished it's too dangerous to take you to some areas of the... building, as you like to call it. There are also some areas with inherent danger to them that are simply not safe for people unfamiliar with Terran architecture to go traipsing about all willy nilly."

Felix smiles, perhaps a bit more joyfully than he should.

"If you really want, I could try to get authorization to show you to some living quarters for you to rest in after I've brought someone to take care of your horses. At the least you'll be somewhat comfortable while we prepare for the journey."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:21 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15387
Location: Yes.
Arkady passes through the room where the others are, says in English "Piper can really access our computer. And if we have the seeds, perhaps we should plant sugar beets among the potatoes of our first hydroponic crop. It would be diplomatic." He then ascertains what the other two are doing, nods, and heads off to get an auger, dynamite, and a loaded assault rifle (a semi-auto if nothing fully auto is available). With those in hand he steps out side to bring down the offending trees. "Hello, Felix. These two?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:25 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Doing this the fun way?" Felix asks, eyeing the dynamite. "Yeah, the ramp is right there, and that's the general area we need clear of trees so we can pull the truck out onto the road here."

Felix gestures at the ramp leading to the vehicle bay and the forest floor beneath it leading to the dirt road.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 4:45 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
"I am fully in favour of forming diplomatic ties with these Styrics, wherever they may be found," says Captain Argent. "Do they have some sort of homeland? A capital, perhaps? Some place to which diplomats may be sent?"

He raises an eyebrow when Arkady breezes past and asks "David? Do we have sugar beet seeds?"

--------------

The Baron looks down his nose at Felix, and snorts. "Then," he says, speaking slowly and patronisingly, "you will give us a tour of the safe areas." He barely gives Arkady a glance, once he realises that Arkady is not here to care for the horses.

Arkady finds that there are five trees he will have to remove. They are large, but otherwise perfectly normal trees.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 7:13 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix thinks about the layout of the ship and tries to figure out a route he can take them on that will simultaneously take the most time while showing them the least.

Engineering roll to map route of least impressive, nonessential parts of the ship.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 1:40 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
Before they climb the ladder onto the ship, the Baron would rather like to know who will be looking after their horses. He clearly doesn't think much of your lack of a decent stable.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:18 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I'll go find someone," Felix says as he climbs the ladder. Heading back to the main group, he gives his report. "The Baron is wanting a tour of the... building... as he's stubbornly calling it, and he's being very insistent. He wants someone to look after his horses while I lead him on the tour."

Felix sighs wearily.

"I've got a good enough picture of the ship that I can keep him away from the important parts and between me and Sir Ulath we'll probably be able to bully them into staying on the course I've set for us," Felix explains further. "I don't like doing it but if we refuse he might speak against us for snubbing him. What are your thoughts, Captain?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2016 2:25 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15387
Location: Yes.
Arkady starts drilling boreholes into the trees every two feet on the side he wants them to fall towards. When they're done, he'll prep the dynamite, put a stick in each hole, clear everyone out of the way, and drop the trees one at a time. Allowing for the fact that he's probably still not at full strength, it should be done in an hour and a half (barring complications).

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:12 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
After a bit of discussion (with Felix doing the translating) it's quickly discovered that, of the people in the room, only Sir Bevier and Thomas, the farmer, know the first thing about how to care for horses; and of the two, Thomas has the vaguer idea. (Apparently he never used them on his farm back on Earth, preferring tractors and automation). Sir Bevier, on the other hand, has been using horses for transport most of his adult life, and thus has a very good idea how to care for them.

"Don't bully him if you don't have to," opines the Captain. "Persuade him if possible. Some people may hold grudges, and until we have some form of agreement in place, we can certainly do without a grudge. If you can, try playing the good cop to Sir Ulath's bad cop. And make sure that you're ready to go once he is."

--------------

Arkady: Engineering: +5 Roll: -1 Total: +4

Arkady starts drilling holes into the trees. The Baron's horses, and the Baron's men, not being all that far away, look towards him with mild curiousity.

...there shouldn't be any problem getting the trees down, but Arkady will probably not make many friends among the horses.

Piper has, at some point, pulled her mysterious vanishing trick again.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 6:12 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Will do."

He grabs whoever of the two is most enthusiastic about looking after the horses and heads back outside. Once outdoors with the horse caregiver, Felix approaches the Baron.

"Alright, I got someone. You wanna do this? Let's do this." Turning toward Arkady, he speaks in English. "I'm gonna be busy leading these guys around, unfortunately, so could you finish work on the engine exchange for me when you're done here? I believe I already laid out most of the tools... If you think you have the time, maybe start work on a second truck. It's possible we'll need it."

If nothing else gets in the way, Felix will lead the Baron and his mooks on a tour of all the least impressive nonessential ship areas. Rapport roll modified by Blather stunt to keep the group focused on the more mundane aspects of the ship.


Last edited by Kajin on Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2016 8:13 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
Nate frowns.

"I haven't heard if they have a homeland or capital. For the most part it seems they live in isolated villages. It might be worth looking into where the nearest one is though."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:36 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Thu May 30, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 15387
Location: Yes.
Arkady nods towards Felix, and says "I will let someone else stack the wood, then." When he's done bringing down the trees, he heads off to deal with the truck. Or possibly trucks.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:54 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10993
Felix: Rapport: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4
Baron: Resolve: +0 Roll: +0 Total: +0


Felix proves a capable and well-spoken tour guide. He easily answers or deflects any questions, and manages to keep the Baron's attention quite easily. (A couple of hours are spent simply describing exactly how one goes about playing poker; the Baron seems vaguely interested).

His men are more easily bored, but seem to consider it their duty to stay with him, occasionally giving the substantially larger Sir Ulath nervous glances.

Felix: Empathy: +2 Roll: +0 Total: +2
Baron Harparin: Rapport: +0 Roll: -2 Total: -2


Over the course of the tour, Felix gets the impression that the soldiers are not normally assigned to the Baron; their position is temporary, lasting for this journey only. This seems to imply that the Baron has no troops that are, strictly speaking, his own; that the only mooks he has command over are on loan.

--------------

Sir Bevier heads out to look after the horses. There are no oats and no hay, and precious little grazing, but he gives the horses some water, a few apples and a bit of basic care. Everything goes well until Arkady sets off the first set of explosives.

Sir Bevier: Survival: +0 Roll: -1 Total: -1

Sir Bevier, as startled as the horses, is unable to prevent a minor panic; though he is able to prevent a mass equine exodus, one of the Baron's horses nonetheless breaks its tether and gallops away from the loud noise as fast as its legs can carry it.

--------------

"If they're the best magicians, then they must logically be able to afford an exalted place in society," states the Captain. "Depending on how closely they're integrated with the Elenes, they'll either have their own capital, or they'll own houses in the high-rent district of the Elene capital. Either way, we should make friendly contact with them."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 2:46 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8752
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix keeps up the tour guide deal for the next while, distracting the Baron for all the time he can.

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 137 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: