Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Star Wars: Outlaws. OOC.
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:19 am 
You know Flash Fiction, you know FATE. Pitch me an idea you want to play and I'll do my level best to get it up and running within 36* hours of the word "go".

I've had good luck doing this sort of thing before in meatspace, getting games up and running within an hour and a half with people who have no idea what a Role Playing Game even is, much less FATE, which makes me confident that it will work here, with all you wonderful, imaginative, knowledgeable people helping me to get the game off the ground with all your awesome ideas.

Post if you're interested and we'll get started.

*More or less. Time frame based on scheduling compatibility.

Last edited by balthazar on Sat Apr 23, 2016 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: Flash FATE
 Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:33 am 
Sounds like fun!

Hmmmm... how about a far-future high-tech androids-and-spaceships game? Or, wait, wait, a low-tech sword-and-sorcery type?

...I have too many incompatible ideas.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:43 am 
CCC wrote:
Sounds like fun!

Hmmmm... how about a far-future high-tech androids-and-spaceships game? Or, wait, wait, a low-tech sword-and-sorcery type?

...I have too many incompatible ideas.

Go read The High Crusade by Poul Anderson. I think you'll like it.

I've also seen way too many bad movies for this to be a game stopper. Barring all else, we can run something in the Star Wars universe.

I'll get back to you tomorrow. I'm going to bed.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 5:52 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Never done Star Wars before. I've played the KotOR games, but that's about it. I'd be down for it.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 12:41 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
After I've thought about it... If we're gonna do a Star Wars game, what about an interquel between the movie trilogies? Either between the prequel trilogy and original trilogy or original trilogy and new trilogy. I think either will work for the setting. Basic premise is a small crew in a smuggler ship. Maximum of one or two Jedi, the rest are all normal, albeit highly skilled, people. They act as mercenaries. Soldiers of fortune helping civilians against the might of the empire where they can, taking payment in whatever the people who've hired them can afford, be it enough credits to repair the engine so they can escape the pursuing assassins or a simple bag of food to split between the crew for the night to stave off starvation because they can't afford to stock up on food.

Good idea? Bad idea? What're your thoughts, guys?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 1:21 am 
I can work with a post Clone Wars setting, but I still want to get CCC's input.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:33 am 
I have read The High Crusade, and I have enjoyed it.

Insofar as the game goes, Star Wars is a great setting. Hmmm... now I'm starting to think of characters... could I play a droid?

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:52 am 
Star Wars it is, and yes, you can play a droid.

Start thinking about your characters, and who they are. I use a different style of FATE then Spirit Of The Century, and I'll post a link to an electronic version tomorrow, but for now I want you to start thinking of a High Concept, and a Trouble. If you want to play a Force user, you need to allude to that in your High Concept. If you are Force sensitive, you need to put that in another aspect. For those familiar with it, the version of FATE I use is very similar to that used in the Dresden Files RPG, but slimmed down somewhat for speed and easy bookkeeping.

Communication may be spotty tomorrow, but I'll do my best to stay in touch with my smartphone. Feel free to post here or PM me if you have any questions, comments, or concerns.

Edit: The download for FATE Core is the first link, and will get you a bunch of different formats.

http://www.evilhat.com/home/fate-core-downloads/

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:53 am 
Right, I've edited in the link to the source book above for those who are interested.

Let's get started!

Character creation:

First you need to pick out your High Concept, which is an aspect that sums up who, and what you are. If you are playing a Force user, you need to allude to that here.

Next is your Trouble. This is an entirely negative aspect that reflects the biggest problem you have. It could be internal, like a character defect, addiction, or persistent injury. Or it can be external, like having a price on your head or being in debt or beholden to someone. This one's your money maker so make it good.

Next pick three aspects. These work just like they do in any game of FATE, each one having both positive and negative sides, so you can both earn FATE Points, and tag them for effect. You can guest star if you want, but it's not necessary. You having trouble with these just skip them and move on. You can add them in later.

Next comes Skills. Use the standard pyramid style with one (1) at +5, and five (5) at +1. Lightsaber use falls under the Melee Weapons skill, but you need to take stunt to use one without a -2 penalty. Again, if you're having trouble, just fill in the top two or three rows, and worry about the rest later. Force users, make sure you have Use Force as a skill somewhere. You're going to need it.

Next come stunts. You get five for free, any extra come out of your refresh, of which you have five. You need at least one refresh. Feel free to pick them out of the list from SOTC, the sourcebook I linked to above, the Dresden Files RPG, etc. or make up your own. Just run them by me at some point so I can rubber stamp them. Force users, all your Force powers are stunts. Things like Telekinesis and Empathy would be a good starting point. Specialized powers like the Jedi Mind Trick and deflecting blaster bolts with your lightsaber would also be stunts.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:49 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
What's the basic idea for the story, and can I play as a Padawan that's in over his or her head? Someone that's almost ready to graduate and become a full Jedi, but isn't quite there yet? Or maybe just a mercenary in the employ of whatever side we're fighting for?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:04 pm 
You mentioned you wanted to try something in the period between episodes 3 and 4. Is that still the case?

And yes you can play a padawan. Or a mercenary. Or both. It's up to you.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:08 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Well if it's after the events of episode III, a surviving Padawan would have to do whatever he could to try to survive. Even turning to mercenary work. I'd like that, if you're up for it?

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:22 pm 
Done and done.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:19 pm 
Okay, I have a basic concept. A shape shifter (like that assassin in Episode 2) con man/smuggler/thief. The man of a thousand faces, none of them his own, pickpocket, rogue, and general criminal type.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:29 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
A Padawan Mercenary and Shapeshifter Criminal! Together, they fight the Empire! Or at the very least run jobs and earn what living they can under the radar so as to avoid the Empire's attention.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG