Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"That's... a lot of gods," Felix says. "Tell me about the Elene God? And what of the young gods, why are there so many?"

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:02 am 
"The Elene God is worshipped by most Elenes, including the current Royal Family. He tends to take a largely hands-off approach to, well, everything, but his church is an influential political influence throughout the known world. Except Zemoch, of course. As for the Styric pantheon... I have no idea why it is so large. Mind you, that's only the Younger Gods, there are also Elder Styric goes, though all I know about them is that Azash is one of them. I think the rest are... locked away? Imprisoned somehow?"

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:09 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix pauses at that.

"Locked away? Most of the Elder Styric gods? And Azash is one of the few, maybe the only running free? I wonder why that is..."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:13 am 
"Because he escaped. Couple of thousand years ago. Lady Sephrenia would be able to tell you the whole story, I only know part of it..."

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:01 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I'll have to ask her for the details later, then," Felix replies.

After the clinic shipment is sorted out, he heads to the ship and looks for the Captain. He has an idea and wants to see what he thinks.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:39 pm 
Nate shoulders his rifle and heads out into the bush to see if he can find any tracks left by whatever it was that was sneaking around outside of camp last night.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:27 pm 
Felix finds Captain Argent sitting at a table, with Piper on the other side. They appear to be playing a card game - Piper has a piece of paper showing which are the winning poker hands and a large pile of pebbles, whereas the Captain has a small pile of pebbles.

Nathan: Survival: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5

After poking around a bit, Nathan finds what looks like the trail of a large snake - from the size, if he was on Earth, he wouldn't hesitate to say a constrictor of some sort. Very much big enough to take human sized prey.

He also finds a small white feather near the trail.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:53 pm 
Nathan pockets the feather before turning around and going to find the knights. The climate is too cold for something the size of a very large anaconda to be about, which would suggest that it's Something Else, and the knights would know better about that then he would.

At least without checking his Monster Manual first.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 9:57 pm 
"Cockatrice," says Sir Ulath, on seeing the feather.

"Get everyone who can hold a weapon," says Sir Bevier.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:14 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Captain Argent, we've hit something of a snag in regards to the clinic," Felix states. "I showed the Knights a tablet I'd loaded some English teaching software, hoping it would help mitigate our communications problems in the long term, and to say that they freaked out would be something of an understatement..."

He goes on to explain the events that transpired and the Knight's subsequent explanations concerning the decidedly more superstitious nature of the local peasants. He states that he modified the shipment of the clinic supplies to remove anything that might cause a negative reaction from the townspeople starting out, though Doctor Vanderbilt is confident they can still work rather well using just medical knowledge and a small amount of diagnosis equipment hidden in the backroom plus regular shipments of medications they manufacture at the ship.

"I also had an idea and wanted to run it by you. While we're setting up the clinic at the nearest village, I'd like to take a small team and go to the other local villages and sort of... introduce ourselves, I guess? Meet the village leaders, shake hands, maybe offer gifts of expendable stuff we have lots of that might not be mission critical. Make sure that everyone is aware of us so they don't find out about us unexpectedly and that we're presenting as nonthreatening a face as possible. If anyone's sick we can treat them to the best of our ability as proof of what we can do and point them to the clinic if they want further treatment. I have some small amount of skill at that stuff, so in addition to being a translator I could do double duty as a nurse assistant. That way the rest of our medical staff is focused on the clinic and getting it up and running."

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:11 am 
"That's a short list. We'd be better off fighting smarter. I wonder...."

Nate scraches his chin for a moment, lost in thought.

(Roll Mysteries or Knowledge skills for information on how to kill a Cockatrice.)

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 3:54 am 
As soon as the Captain turns his back on her, Piper takes the opportunity to take the card from the top of the deck, inspect it, and replace it with one of the cards from her hand.

The Captain, meanwhile, pays attention to Felix' suggestion. "It's a good idea," he says, "but I want the emphasis, for the moment, to be on medical care, not gifts. So, take medical supplies with you, and let the use of those be your gifts. Take the knights as well; they will know best how to make a good impression on the locals."

--------------

Nathan: Academics: +1 Roll: -1 Total: +0

Nathan's heard the name "cockatrice", but can't be sure how closely legends from Earth match the local reality. According to legend; the cockatrice could turn a person to stone in an instant with its gaze, it's hatched from an egg laid by a cockerel, and it's not hard to kill if you can somehow prevent yourself from meeting said gaze.

Sir Bevier, however, is happy to provide additional information. "As long as there are more of us than there are cockatrices, we'll be fine. A cockatrice can lock its gaze with someone, preventing them from moving, but only as long as the cockatrice itself doesn't move. So, let's say there are three cockatrices in the nest; if two of us go after them, then two cockatrices lock gazes with them, and the third one can attack with impunity. On the other hand, if there are four of us, then three cockatrices lock gazes with three of us, and the fourth one starts hacking their heads off. We just need to stick together, and keep a close eye on each other."

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:51 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Sounds like a plan," Felix replies. "Less stuff to carry, anyway. I'll go ask the Knights about local customs and other stuff. See if we can't get our people prepped with the right behaviors beforehand so we don't inadvertently offend anyone."

If the Captain has nothing else to offer, Felix will make his way to the airlock and head outside to talk to the Knights about local customs and anything else that might trip them up during introductions.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 5:39 am 
"I only saw evidence of one out there, for what it's worth."

Nate has a lightbulb moment.

"Say, what happens if a Cockatrice sees its reflection? Would it freeze itself up?"

Post Posted: Thu Apr 07, 2016 6:01 am 
Felix finds both Knights talking with Nathan about... something.

"Could work," says Sir Ulath, nodding. "Might not."

"If you can find some way to make it happen easily, it's certainly worth a try," offers Sir Bevier. "If it maintains its gaze for long enough, it can turn things to stone... I'm not sure if it can do that to itself or not."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG