Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 3:34 pm 
Felix gets the tablets charging and has the software ready to load onto them first thing in the morning. By the time he gets to the supplies, he finds David (with Dr. Vanderbilt's help) already halfway through organising them.

Nathan puts together a collection of twenty or so phrases very useful for a tourist. Less so, perhaps, for consulting with a doctor who wants to know where it hurts, but that can be fixed later.

Before long, night falls, and various watches are taken...

Felix: Alertness: +2 Roll: 0 Total: +2
Sir Bevier: Alertness: +0 Roll: -3 Total: -3
Sir Ulath: Alertness: +2 Roll: -3 Total: -1
Nathan: Alertness: +4 Roll: +2 Total: +6

Neither Felix not the knights notice anything on their watch. Nathan notices that, once again, there's an extremely strong wind, singing and whistling through the windmills - but barely a breeze at ground level.

...there's also something moving around near the camp, keeping out of sight. Nathan suspects it's some kind of animal. Could be a predator, perhaps.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 12:18 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix is on the computer first thing after he wakes up and eats. Finishing loading up the English language software onto the tablets he'd prepared the day before, he shuts them down, boxes them up in a sturdy, cushioned crate and attaches three more tablets onto a harness on his belt. One of the spare tablets has the language software he's going to spend his spare time reprogramming and rerecording to teach their own people the local language. The other two are for the Knights, should they decide they want to learn to speak English.

Everything boxed up, he heads for the airlock to put the crate with the rest of the supplies bound for the site of the group's new clinic. After that is done, he'll go to look for the Knights to see if they want to learn a new language. He'll also inquire about the estimated population size of the nearest village and if there are any bigger villages within a reasonable distance.

(OOC: Felix doesn't yet know something is prowling, so this should be good.)

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:09 pm 
Nathan leaves whatever it is out there alone unless it tries to come into camp, and instead focuses on getting breakfast ready. When Felix exits the airlock he waves him over.

"Breakfast is ready, and I was just about to head out. There was something sculking about just outside of camp last night and I want to see if I can find any tracks."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:41 pm 
Both of the knights express a general willingness to learn English, and ask Felix if he intends to be their tutor. It seems that the nearby village is a very small village by modern standards, with a population somewhere short of a hundred. While there are other similarly small villages around, it's a fair distance to the nearest actual city.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 3:54 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix pulls out the two tablets loaded with the English language software and shows it to the Knights. He'll show them how to use the tablets and the software. If it looks like they're set up well enough with the tablets, he'll sit nearby and get to work on reprogramming the software on his own tablet. He'll be ready to answer any questions or difficulties the Knights might have as they come up.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:13 pm 
The knights have a pretty immediate problem with the tablet. They back away from it and draw their weapons.

"What is this thing?" asks Sir Bevier, pointing his sword at the tablet.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"It's a tablet computer," Felix replies. "It's... sort of a multi purpose tool. It can store a whole library's worth of books without need for a single page of parchment and specialized contraptions built into it let it hear you speak and reply in turn, though it's not a thinking creature itself. I installed an English tutor program on it that I'm hoping will assist in teaching each other our respective languages."

It's a tablet, so it should have a camera. While Felix talks, he searches for the recording function and activates it, doing a slow pan across the forest by way of demonstration while he explains. When he's done talking, he stops the recording, then turns the tablet over and hows the screen to the Knights.

"Remember when Sephrenia conjured up the image of the Queen?" Felix plays back the recording. "This device lets me do similar, and more. Magic, but without magic. I can show you if you promise not to skewer me, maybe?"

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:36 pm 
"I won't skewer you," promises Sir Bevier. "I make no promises about your device. Its magic is unfamiliar to me."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 4:55 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"No offensive magic, promise. These tablets are just tools, meant to store information and make managing tasks easier."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:21 pm 
"Aye, and we've all heard tales of what happens to those who use magic that they don't fully understand," rumbles Sir Ulath.

"You may understand these devices," adds Sir Bevier, "but we most assuredly do not."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 5:45 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Keep in mind I've only been here a couple days," Felix replies, putting the two tablets away. He'll stow them in the crate later. Maybe the villagers will be more willing to try and use them? "I've not heard these tales of which you speak. I don't know anything about the magic that is used in this land. Is it really so dangerous?"

Post Posted: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:26 pm 
"Yes." says Sir Ulath, firmly.

"When you don't understand what you're doing," adds Sir Bevier. "Good thing you didn't try it on the villagers; you show the average Elene peasant something like this, he'll accuse you of witchcraft and sorcery and run you out of town."

Post Posted: Tue Apr 05, 2016 12:12 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Ah. I foresee problems," Felix replies. "Just about everything we have on the ship could potentially send anyone into a panic if something as harmless as this tablet will get you the old torch and pitchfork treatment."

Felix goes over to the supplies for the clinic and sorts through them, checking to see what they've got stowed away that might cause any sort of panic. If he sees anything too high tech or flashy he'll set it aside and jot down notes on his tablet for a low tech equivalent to replace it. Here's to hoping David or Vanderbilt anticipated something like this and packed accordingly. He also makes sure to remove the crate of tablets.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
While Felix is rummaging through the supplies looking for any potential heresy to remove, he continues conversation with the Knights.

"So, this... Azash deity... Is it the only god, or are there more in this world?"

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 12:41 am 
Dr. Vanderbilt is not happy at the news that her high-tech toys won't be welcomed with open arms, but grudgingly admits that she can probably manage a lot with modern medical knowledge, antibiotics, and a diagnostic computer in a back room, out of the way.

"Oh, lots," says Sir Bevier. "There's the Elene God - that's the one we Church Knights serve - and then the Styrics have their own pantheon, there's a thousand of the Younger Gods - and that's before even getting into the theology of the Tamul Empire."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG