Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 3:23 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix shows Piper his tablet and explains to her what it is and what he's doing with it while he records his lines. He explains how it's an organizational tool meant for storing data and managing work, and that he's using it to store data on the local language so the colonists can eventually use other tablets to learn how to speak with the locals.

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:44 am 
Nate scouts and maps, bullroaring back reports. Whether it's the occasional bullroaring or not he can't tell, but Nate doesn't find any obviously dangerous life forms (there is a very suspicious bright yellow frog that may be poisonous, but it hops away quickly) until they reach the village. Occasionally his bull-roaring is echoed back from the cart.

Felix finds that Piper, despite her silence, is fairly intelligent and easily keeps up with his explanation; but she soon loses interest in the tablet. She occasionally replies to Nate's bullroared reports with her own bullroarer - not actually saying anything as such, just echoing back the same sounds. She also decides, at one point, to sit on the horse pulling the cart instead of on the cart itself; she seems completely unconcerned with any possibility of falling off.

The journey is over swiftly, and before long Felix has to put his tablet away; shortly afterwards, the group emerges from the forest into a marrow lane between two currently-worked fields, which leads directly to a small cluster of tiny wooden houses, which one would hardly dignify with the term "village". There seems to be some consternation - a number of villagers on the side facing the forest are holding pitchforks and scythes in a way that suggests that they are well aware these things can be used as weapons. At the sight of the knights, they break into smiles and start clamouring for the knights to defend them against some sort of beast (it's a bit hard to make out exactly what's worrying them, since they're all trying to talk at once).

Post Posted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:28 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"A monster, what's this about a monster?" Felix asks the villagers as they get closer. He checks his shoulder trap to make sure his rifle is still in place. If there's a monster nearby it'll need to be handy.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 8:45 am 
Felix's rifle is still in place. Most of the villagers crowd around the Knights for protection, but one elderly farmer (with only one remaining tooth) takes hold of Felix' arm. "It's coming!" he says. "It's roaring, and getting closer all the time! It'll be here any -"

Piper picks this moment to stand up on the horse's back, spinning her bullroarer around her head.

The villagers stare at her, and begin to lower their weapons with a general sense of profound embarrassment.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Ah," Felix says, looking between the villagers and Piper. He relaxes a touch from where he was before. "I apologize for the confusion the bullroarer caused. It's meant for long distance communication and our scout was using it to warn us of any dangerous creatures that might be lurking about. We've already been forced to defend ourselves against several strange and powerful creatures the past couple days, so better safe than sorry..."

Felix shrugs his shoulders.

"Introductions are in order. My name is Felix False. I come on behalf of my tribesmen, the Terran. We're a nomadic people, having left our home territory of Earth behind in search of new lands and adventure. We've run out of food and other supplies, so our journey has come to an end and we've settled our village nearby. I've come to shake hands and show you that we'll make for great neighbors, if you're willing," Felix smiles what he hopes is a winning smile and makes the best impression he can, shaking the aforementioned hands of anyone who wants. "We've brought medicine, medical supplies, and a doctor to treat anyone who is hurt or feeling sick as our way of saying hello to our new friends."

Rapport Roll to put my best diplomatic foot forward. I'll make a guess at aspects to tag to aid the roll in case it fails. Aspects I want to tag are Dangerous Land, Honest Confession, Sincere Apology as well as New Neighbor, Friendly Neighbor. I'm going to guess that there are people who are hurt or sick, so if they're there I'll guess and tag [Village Name] We Have Sick, You Have Medicine also.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 1:02 am 
Nathan keeps his fool mouth shut and focuses on keeping himself and Piper out of trouble.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:05 am 
Felix: Rapport: +3 Roll: +0 Total: +3 Target: +2

The villagers look at Felix, at the Knights, at Piper - and then one elderly gentleman steps forward to shake Felix' hand. "A travelling medicine man is always welcome here, sir," he says. "Mind if I ask why you're travelling with yonder Styric lass?" He nods at Piper.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 3:55 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"We can't find her parents and I see no reason to leave a child all alone," Felix replies. He remembers how the Knights informed him about the suspicious nature of the villagers regarding Styric people, so he sidesteps the issue as quickly and effectively as he can.

"Now, let's see about treating anyone that needs it?" Felix asks the elderly gentleman. "Do you have any sick and injured that need to be looked at? Oh, and I forgot to ask... where are my manners... what is your name, kind sir?"

Rapport roll to move smoothly on to the next topic without the villagers raising a fuss about Piper, tagging any relevant aspects that might be applicable in the event of failure, possibly the medicine aspect. If there are none and failure is imminent, spend Fate points on Fortune Roulette and Laser Focus.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:16 am 
No need for an extra Rapport roll on this one, it technically falls under your already-rolled roll, but they had to ask.

"I'm Ald-" The elderly farmer turns aside and coughs heavily. "I'm Aldric. I don't reckon we got many folks can afford medicine 'round here." He leans towards Felix and whispers raspily "You got a good heart, lookin' after that lass, but be careful if'n you ever run into her parents. I've heard things about them Styrics that'll put a man off his sleep for days, I have."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:32 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"It's a pleasure to meet you, Aldric. Don't worry about payment for now," Felix replies. "This visit is a goodwill gesture. I mean, we did sort of drop in unexpectedly, so it's only fair that we make nice with everyone."

Felix grins sheepishly, scratching the back of his head.

"Beyond that, though? We have little interest in currencies or objects of material worth, though we'll certainly trade in those if that's what our patients want to pay. What we really need the most, though, is food," Felix crosses his arms and nods gravely. "As I said, our journey was long and difficult and until our own farms are set up we'll be needing to trade for a lot of what we'll be eating."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:26 am 
"Well, then you're in luck," says Aldric. "Food is one thing we do have." He coughs again. "I'll go and see if I can find anyone who needs doctoring, then. Come along, I'll introduce you to people as we go..."

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:50 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"That cough seems pretty persistent," Felix says as he walks along after Aldric. He waves for the group to follow. "Are you feeling unwell yourself?"

As they walk, Felix looks around the village and keeps an eye out for what sorts of tools and implements they're using to grow their crops. It's always possible Felix could craft things that are superior to what they're using and sell it to them on the cheap to boost their yields and provide for better trade deals down the line. He also looks for where they're getting their water from, if he can find a visible source.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 5:52 am 
Nate follows Felix, looking for things that could be done better, but that the villagers could build themselves, rather than buy.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 8:17 am 
Aldric shakes his head. "Ah, I've had doctors try their doctoring on me afore," He coughs again. "Not one o' 'em could do a thing about it. Apparently it can't be cured." He shrugs. "No matter, I'm used to it."

Felix: Engineering: +5 Roll: -2 Total: +3 Target: +4
Nathan: Engineering: +2 Roll: +0 Total: +2 Target: +4

The local tools tend to be simple, and well-used (with the exception of one suspiciously shiny new plough that Felix recognises at once). They're clearly not mass-produced, and are probably passed down for generations; the locals have recognisable ploughs, forks, scythes, and other similar farming tools, but appear to be rather short on (say) seed drills, or any sort of automation. Felix is pretty sure that, once he gets back to the ship and gets a chance to look over the computer, he'll be able to find all sorts of improvements that he can offer; Nathan is equally sure that he can look up ways for them to build better tools. However, neither of them can spot any easy, obvious way to improve directly on the local tools.

The local water source is almost certainly the small river which trickles out of the forest near to the path.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:55 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Alright, though it'd still put me at ease if we had you looked at after we've seen to anyone else that needs treating," Felix replies. "Shall we get started?"

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG