Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:29 pm 
Nate starts working on an evaporative fridge and a smokehouse to keep their food from going bad.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 10:58 pm 
Nate: Engineering: +2 Roll: -1 Total: +1

Nathan starts putting together a few simple structures. Though competent enough, it's clear he's nowhere near the genius engineer that Felix is; it'll take him a few days, even with help, to finish putting these facilities together.

--------------

"MRI scan," says Dr. Vanderbilt. "Yes, I would very much like to run our friendly neighbourhood knights through those."

Piper, having found three stethoscopes, pokes the doctor with one to get her attention and then gives her all three stethoscopes and a free hug.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:11 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Alright, be back in a second," Felix says. Heading out to the airlock, Felix gets the attention of one or both Knights. "Sir Ulath, Sir Bevier. We need a volunteer. Doctor Vanderbilt has some concerns about the similarities and differences between our people and yours. We need one of you to let us take a look at your DNA, among other things. We'll need to know this stuff sooner or later if we're going to save Queen Cehlana."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:20 pm 
"What's a DNA and how does one look at it?" asks Sir Ulath, gesturing to Sir Bevier to wait a moment. "If it's just a matter of disrobing in front of the doctor, that's one thing, but if she's going to be cutting us open then that's another matter entirely."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:36 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"DNA stands for deoxyribonucleic acid. All living matter has DNA. It's what makes you... well, you. If I had to explain it in the simplest terms, it's like the construction blueprints for a building. It's the guide the tells your body how to grow and what to look like. Stuff like that," Felix scratches his head. "As for looking at it... A small sample of blood is the best way. Just a drop acquired from a small needle would do. If you don't want to do that, though, we could get it from your skin or your spit. Anything like that. We'll put it in a machine that lets us look at really really tiny stuff and then compare it to the DNA of someone on board the ship. Probably mine, since I'm assisting the Doctor right now."

Felix grabs the canteen from his belt and takes a swig of water before continuing.

"After that, if you're willing, we'll do some other tests. Stuff like have you sit in an MRI machine that'll take detailed pictures of your body. I'm not sure if you'll have to disrobe for that. We'll compare your biology to that of our own people and see how it all matches up. I suspect it will, myself, but given that we're not even from this planet I wouldn't be surprised if there were subtle differences that we'll need to account for when we go to help your Queen."

Felix smiles and makes what he hopes is a reassuring offer. "I'll go first for anything we have you do, so you'll know what it is you're getting yourself into? We'll need someone to compare to, and it'll be easier to explain what we're doing if you see what the Doctor does to me before she does it to you. We're going to be asking you to do some stuff that might not make sense, after all."

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 3:02 pm 
"Acid? You think we've got acid in our blood?" asks Sir Bevier, hesitantly. "I, um, I think you're going to be surprised on that front. I'll volunteer, but I can tell you now, our blood's not acidic."

He follows where Felix leads, while Sir Ulath remains outside, helping with the smokehouse.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 4:41 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Not what I'm talking about," Felix shakes his head. "The word acid covers a wide range of chemicals, many of which won't melt your face. It'll be easier to show you what I mean, though. Let's go see the Doctor."

Felix leads Sir Bevier to the Medical Bay where Doctor Vanderbilt awaits.

"Hey Doctor, I've brought the patient. I told him anything you did to him you'd first do to me so I can show him what we're gonna do and explain what's going on. Let's do as many things as we can think of. DNA samples, blood work, MRI scans, x-rays. If there's a machine in here I want a run through it where possible."

Unless something comes along to stop the medical work, Felix will spend the next while running through medical procedures with Doctor Vanderbilt and Sir Bevier. He'll talk with the Doctor about what she's doing and do his best to explain what's going on to the good Sir Knight.

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 6:30 pm 
Sir Bevier is a knight, an elite armoured warrior, always prepared to be on the front line of any war, leading the conflict against the forces of darkness. He has vast supplies of courage, but insists that he has no fear.

The diplomatic man therefore will not comment on the way he tenses up when Dr. Vanderbilt threatens to stick a sterilized needle into his arm.

The MRI scan requires merely that he remove all metal from his person; the woven fibres of his tunic and pants provide no barrier to its imaging capabilities.

Dr. Vanderbilt takes hair samples, blood samples, and runs Sir Bevier through every diagnostic machine in the lab. She test his reflexes, checks his teeth, and thoroughly examines both eyes and ears. She listens to his heart and breathing with the help of a stethoscope, and even investigates the inside of his nose with the aid of a small mirror.

"He's human," she eventually says (in English), "to at least 99.999%. Do you think you could ask Piper to run through the same tests?"

Post Posted: Mon Mar 14, 2016 7:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I don't really see the point?" Felix asks. "Sir Bevier is human. We're human. It stands to reason that she's human too."

He asks Piper just in case she wants to, but he wont push the point if she doesn't want to.

"Is there anything else? If not, I think Nathan needed some help outside."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 1:05 am 
"Different ethnic group," explains Dr. Vanderbilt. "I wanted to know how much difference it makes."

Piper, however, shakes her head quite firmly when asked.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 2:28 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"You heard the boss, Doc. Guess it's a no," Felix laughs. "I wouldn't imagine it matters too much anyway. If you need me, I'll be outside with Nathan."

Felix goes outside to see if Nathan still needs any help.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:36 pm 
Nathan: Alertness: +4 Roll:+3 Total: +7
Sir Ulath: Alertness:+2 Roll: +0 Total: +2

Creature: Stealth: +0 Roll: +3 Total: +3

As Felix starts climbing down the ladder, Nathan notices a creature of some sort, approaching through the forest. He realises three things about it, in the first instant. Firstly, it is about the size, and general shape, of a lion. Secondly, when the horses smell it, they react with fear; this is likely some local predator. Thirdly, it's just starting to charge at the nearest person; Sir Ulath, who has not noticed it...

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 7:28 pm 
"Sir Ulath! Attack!"

Nathan takes up his ever present rifle as he warns the large knight, and takes aim at the creature before squeezing the trigger.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:29 pm 
Nathan: Guns: +5 Supplemental action (drawing weapon): -1 Roll: +1 Total: +5
Creature: Claws: +3 Roll: -3 Total: +0

The creature flinches as the bullet hits it, but continues its charge nonetheless, taking a swipe at Sir Ulath.

Creature: Claws: +3 Roll: +1 Total: +4
Sir Ulath: Defense +0 (surprised) Roll: +2

Sir Ulath tries to dodge aside as Nathan shouts, but he isn't quite fast enough - one of the beast's paws hits him in the side. As he reaches to draw his axe, the beast stands fully visible - largely the size and shape of a lion, but with large, leathery wings and a scorpionlike tail.

"Manticore!" warns Sir Ulath. "Poisonous stinger!"

A trickle of blood runs down the manticore's head, and it ROARS!

Damage: Manticore: OOOOXO
Sir Ulath: OOXOOOO
Nathan: OOOOOO
Felix: OOOOOO

Post Posted: Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:33 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Oh... Oh dear. This looks to be something of a challenge... I dare say we should go help our friends."

Before Sir Bevier can get a word in edge wise, Felix is descending the rope as fast as he is capable. It's still something of a journey, though, so it's gonna take him a second. He does his best to survey the battlefield as he descends.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG