Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:32 pm 
David glares at Felix. "Liar," he says. "You don't just 'wake up' knowing a new language out of nowhere!"

Piper seems particularly interested in Nate's bullroarer.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:09 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"I don't know what to tell you," Felix sighs, exasperated. The smile is gone from his face. "I don't know what's happening. I don't know what's going on. We woke up. People are outside. We speak their language for some reason. The ship landed itself without a pilot. Albino women are projecting holograms with their bare hands and putting people into stasis inside giant crystals. Weird stuff is going down and it's scaring the crap out of me. The only reason I'm holding myself together right now is because I have goals. Get power restored. Get people awake and out of their capsules so they can work. Secure sources of food and get more people awake so we can defend ourselves if push comes to shove. Danger on all sides and so few certainties in the face of so many unknowns. I just want to get this stuff done and out of the way now so we can secure our position and save all of our people still frozen in their capsules. Work with me here, please."

(Rapport roll to convince David and any other dissenters in the group to focus on the common goal of survival. Secondary Leadership roll to appeal to the group as a whole and encourage cohesiveness in the face of uncertainty. Base scores are +3 on both. Should be able to spend a fate point to tag the Laser Focus aspect for a bonus if needed, as Felix's current objective is getting things up and running and we need people working instead of fighting. I've also made a guess in the OC thread at some aspects I could potentially tag for free to boost the rolls as needed.)

Last edited by Kajin on Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Wed Mar 09, 2016 7:46 pm 
"Now, you may be wondering what these things are good for, besides maybe scaring the pants off someone in the middle of the night?"

"Well, the sound of a Bullroarer carries for miles around, which makes them useful for long distance communication. Many primitive peoples used them for exactly that purpose, and so are we."

Without further delay, Nate begins instructing Piper and the Knights in a simple code used by the austrailian aboriginies to communicate over long distance with a bullroarer.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:07 pm 
Felix: Rapport: +3 Roll: +0 Free aspects: +4 Total: +7 Target: +4

David glares at Felix for a moment, then snorts. "Okay, so maybe you're not a dangerous conspirator, maybe you're just a lucky idiot. Doctor Vanderbilt! Can we safely thaw out one more person?"

"I don't think we have the food supplies to -" begins Dr. Vanderbilt.

"Then food supplies are our first priority. Can we put together a list of everything we've got, so I can figure out where we go from here?"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:50 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix rattles off a list of what's available and needs to be done, food wise.

"From what I can tell, most of the tools and equipment we have stored away in the warehouse are still in working condition. We put up two windmills since yesterday and haven't had any problems in that regard. Hydroponics is an absolute mess and at least half our seeds have rotted into dust, but we could theoretically get it up and running again with the tools we have available to us and the seeds that have yet to decay. I haven't checked to see what repairs need to be made yet so I'm not sure," Felix thinks back, wishing he'd had more time to give Hydroponics a more thorough inspection. "There's a farming village nearby that we'd managed to trade supplies with. I gave them one of our numerous spare plows and we were able to acquire a whole cart full of flour, grain, eggs and vegetables. I don't know how big the village is or how much supplies it has available as Sir Bevier was the one who went and initiated trade, but it's one possible source of food. I'd suggest it's in our best interest to establish contact ourselves and see if we can't get a good trade relationship going. Maybe see if we can't have them send us regular shipments of food in exchange for whatever spare stuff we have lying around."

Felix takes a breath and continues providing an explanation of what's available.

"The forest is teeming with wild game. Nathan was able to track down and kill a beast that looks a cross between a deer and a buffalo. It was the source of the cold cuts we served when you woke up. I was thinking we send scouts to determine the game trails and set up traps for animals that wander through. I don't know how much of the local plants are edible but it wouldn't hurt to start collecting things and have them analyzed in the lab now that we have enough power to keep the Medical Bay online. There's also a river a small distance away that would be a reliable source of water and maybe fish? If we can get more electricity to the ship's power grid we could turn our freezers on. Store back a fair amount of meat once that's done."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:12 pm 
David looks horrified. "You gave away valuable ship's equipment? Every ounce of that was there for a reason!"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:55 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix looks at David, the previous annoyance he'd had with the man swiftly turning into anger.

"Yes, and those reasons were based on the assumption that it'd be some decades before we established appropriate industry to make our own replacement tools. They were NOT, however, based on the assumption that we would be landing on a planet with preexisting flora and fauna and sentient life that had already established a metal industry of its own. They were NOT based on the assumption that we'd be arriving with NONE of the food reserves we started out with and a crippled capacity for growing more. We needed food for the people that woke up and I acted in what I felt was the best interests of the crew of this ship. You're more than welcome to toss me out the air lock if this upsets you."

Felix stares David hard in the eyes, his fists clenched. Carefully enunciating his words to make sure he keeps speaking in English, he continues.

"We have come with a great deal of abundance. We have spares upon spares upon spares upon spares of every tool we could possibly need. I don't know what your malfunction is, but you need to settle down. The ship won't miss a couple of easily replaced tools. If you're so upset that I traded away a readily expendable asset for much needed food for our starving people then I'll go out and personally make you a new one. Wood? Stone? Metal? Take your pick, this world has it all. Until then, I'd very much like to get started on saving our collective hides."

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:14 pm 
David sighs, pressing his fingers lightly into his forehead. "Alright, fine, you thought it was for the best, you might even make a decent case, but it's not long-term sustainable and we need this colony to be long-term sustainable from day one. Now, what exactly were you actually put on this ship to do?"

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:26 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix takes a deep breath and tries to calm down.

"I apologize. It's been a rather rough time. I'm wound up a little tightly."

Felix takes another deep breath and centers his thoughts.

"Environmental engineering with a specialization in heat management and a general purpose background in mechanics and construction. Help build the domes we would have been moving into. Manage the heating and cooling elements that kept everything at optimal temperatures so we wouldn't burn or freeze to death. Stuff like that. If it can be built or repaired, I'm a fair hand at it."

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:52 pm 
"And from the fact that we have some of the planet's natives right here, I gather that little things like atmosphere aren't a problem. So we don't even need domes. Right. Build me a pipeline and a pump, from the river to our tanks. I want to know the size and flow rate of the river, as well."

Ember turns abruptly aside, immediately dismissing Felix.

"Are any of you farmers?"

Thomas Swale raises a hesitant hand.

"Good," says David, "go out there and find a suitable area of land for setting up a farm. Sustainable over the long term, something you can manage on your own with the machinery on the ship."

Felix tries to get a read on David Ember...

Felix: Empathy: +2 Roll: -2 Total: 0
David: Rapport: +0 Roll: +3 Total: +3

Felix can't seem to shrug off his own irritation enough to figure out what makes David tick.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:03 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix shoots an annoyed look at Doctor Vanderbilt before shrugging his shoulders and leaning out the airlock.

"Hey Nathan, help me run some pipes out to the river? Setting up a water pump. Sir Knights, if you'd like to help I'd be much appreciative."

With that said he makes his way to the warehouse to get supplies so he can start work.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:30 pm 
Nate has already gathered up most of what is needed for this project. He helps Felix gather up the reast as well.

"So how did our new friends take it?"

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:18 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Most of them were silent. Shock, I think. To be expected, really. I mean I'm still freaking out," Felix laughs. He's speaking in English so the Knights and Piper don't understand what he's saying. He also checks to make sure he's not in ear shot of the colonists before continuing. "That David, though. He's something of an ass. I suspect he was a hair's breadth away from trying to have me hung for being a 'dangerous conspirator', which are his words and not mine. He also about had a heart attack when I said I gave away one plow in trade for some of the food we'd acquired. One plow! Of which we have... what, a few hundred? I get the feeling he's going to be difficult to work with. To make matters worse, Doctor Vanderbilt said that between him and the Captain he was the easiest to deal with! So long as he's good at managing the base as we expand and get more people awake I'm not gonna complain too awful much... But that doesn't mean it's gonna be easy to keep from smacking the tar out of him if he keeps being as annoying as he is."

Felix begins work on setting up the pipes and pump.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:56 pm 
"Hmm. Hopefully it's just a stress reaction and he'll come out of it later. I can have a chat with him later of you'd like?"

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Go for it, I certainly won't mind."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG