Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 7:41 pm 
The Knights help with carrying the heavy pump. Piper seems insistent on helping, so she gets given a small length of pipe to carry; Sir Bevier carries the rest of the pipes while Sir Ulath takes the pump. The knights politely ignore the conversation; when Felix starts sounding like he needs a hug, though, Piper puts down her length of pipe in order to give him said hug.

Post Posted: Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:28 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix idly ruffles Piper's hair when she hugs him. Their work done, he quickly takes some measurements of the river, then heads back to the ship. There he makes sure everything is hooked up to the ship's ports nice and tightly.

"Alright, thanks for the help Sir Bevier, Sir Ulath," Felix nods to the two of them before ascending the ship's ladder again and seeking out David. Maybe idly hoping to see if someone smacked him in the gob, but mostly to see how the group's progress is going.

"Alright, pump and pipes are hooked up. How goes things here?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 2:22 am 
At the bottom of the ladder, Felix is stopped by the farmer. "Hey, you can talk to the people who know what's where, right? Could you ask then which way's the nearest edge of the forest?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:48 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I'll ask," Felix replies. Going back to the Knights, he asks about the general layout of the surrounding area.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:27 am 
"Well," says Sir Ulath, pointing back the way the knights had originally came, "there's a tiny little farming village half a days' ride that way. And another one and a half a days' ride that way." He indicates the other direction. "If you're looking to go cross-country, the other side of your star sailboat is probably already resting in Draakenmire Swamp, while the other way... I'm not really sure. Let me check the map."

He strolls over to his horse and pulls a map out of the saddlebags, inspecting it closely.

Last edited by CCC on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:29 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Those are the only nearby areas where the forest ends?" Felix asks, mildly incredulous. "What, do the villagers just cut farmland out of the forest itself whenever they have need for more of it?"

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 5:43 pm 
"I there's a swamp, I can scavenge some materials from it. We need ways to keep our food fresh, and an evaporative cooler and a smoke house would be ideal. Swamps could also provide peat, which will be alot easier to collect and burn in a boiler then cutting down these trees. Plus we could get lucky and find some bog iron that we can use to make stuff."

Post Posted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 6:23 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"From the looks of things we're probably gonna have to cut a few of these trees down to start our own farm," Felix says, switching between the local language and English to keep Thomas in the loop. "It'd probably make more sense anyway. I'd rather the farm be within sight of the main entrance of the ship. Don't want any hostile factions coming in and torching our food sources. If we're cutting down trees to make room for the farms we might not need to run to the swamp for anything. Besides, until we get a chance to run through and refill our stocks of medicines where possible I don't want ANYONE going through or near a swamp. Too many possible vectors for disease."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:57 am 
Thomas shakes his head. "Forests have pretty terrible soil," he explains. "Sure, you can get one, maybe two years' worth of decent crops if you slash and burn, but you're gonna need a *lot* of fertilisers to get anything beyond that. And I've seen what's left of the fertilisers we had on board - I don't trust them. Swampland, on the other hand... if we drain that, then odds are there's decent soil under there. Good for a more permanent farm."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 1:22 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"I thought that could be mitigated by proper rotation, though?" Felix asks. "Couple different crop types, then let it lay fallow or use as pasture... Then again, given the state of our seed vault we might not have a proper variety of crop types to rotate for optimal efficiency. Ah well. So long as we make sure everyone that works in the swamp makes regular visits to the med bay, things should be fine. Maybe scrounge up some manner of insect repellent or wear protective clothing. At least until we get things set up to drain it like you want."

Now that that matter is settled, Felix will stick around for a moment or two to see if Thomas or Nathan need his help in regards to anything related to the swamp. If not he'll head back into the ship and see what's going on there.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:26 am 
Nate scratches his chin thoughtfully. "Alot of medicinal plants grow in swamps. Lots of animals good for food and pelts too. And with the proximity to the ship, it cuts down on excess travel and makes defence easier. Just don't go drinking the water withour boiling it first, and wear a long sleeved shirt and a good hat and you should be fine."

Nate grins as a thought strikes him.

"If we get lucky, I'll be cooking Cajun style."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:47 am 
"Ha! 'Mitigate' is a fancy way of saying 'make do with bad soil', sir," says Thomas. "We'll do better with the swamp than the forest, trust me. In a couple of years, I'll be growing enough food to feed hundreds!"

He grins at Nathan. "And you'll be spicing it up when I do, I take it?"

--------------

On the ship, Felix finds Dr. Vanderbilt and Piper in the medical bay, looking through the cabinets.

"Alright, now can you help me find three of these?" asks the doctor. She holds up three fingers, then a stethoscope. "Three of these?"

Piper looks at the doctor's actions, then starts looking through the nearest cabinet.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 12:27 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"What's up, Doc?" Felix asks as he enters the med bay and sees Doctor Vanderbilt. "We got what we need to treat any of the exotic maladies people might get from entering a swamp? Turns out the other side of our ship is resting in swampland and it's looking to be the nearest viable farmland. If the swamps here are anything like the swamps back home we might have to be prepared to deal with a lot of sickness and disease if we can't prevent it from happening somehow."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:39 pm 
"Do you know what's supposed to happen when you arrive on a completely alien world? The local biochemistry is almost certain to be completely incompatible with hours, meaning you're immune to all the diseases but can't digest the food. And on the vague off-chance that your biology is compatible, you catch some minor local disease and, because we don't have the right antibodies, we all get it and it turns out pretty lethal to us."

The doctor sighs. "I don't know whether we even can catch anything here, but if we do, it'll hit hard. As for sickbay, I have all the diagnostic machines running but every single medicine is well past it's sell-by date."

Post Posted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 6:56 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Well, considering the fact that we have no choice but to digest the local food or die, and we do seem to be digesting the local food just fine, I'm going to assume things are at least a little bit similar on that front," Felix chuckles. "The local populace is, by all appearances, completely human, despite the fact that this should not be the case what with this being an alien planet and all."

Felix glances over at Piper. She is, on the surface, a human child. Albino, certainly, but albinism is something that has existed in humanity.

"Do you think you could use the lab to run some tests? Compare DNA? Want me to call one of the Knights up here for some medical screenings? If it's to save their Queen I'm sure they'd have no objections. A few blood samples here, an x ray there. I'm not too up on medical equipment, but maybe some kind of scanner that takes pictures of organs?"

Last edited by Kajin on Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG