Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:11 pm 
I seem to remember a rule about FRPG threads needing to stop and open a new thread after ten pages...

Something like that, anyhow.

Character sheets!

Felix wrote:
Fate Points: 1

Skills:
Engineering +5
Contacting, Gambling +4
Science, Rapport, Leadership +3
Alertness, Empathy, Endurance, Guns +2
Might, Athletics, Resolve, Weapons, Survival +1

Stunts:
Personal Gadget (Targeting Visor for Bonus to Guns)(Engineering) (+4 Guns, Night Vision)
Universal Gadget (Engineering)
Gambling Man (Gambling)
Ladies Man (Rapport)
Blather (Rapport)

Pride Comes Before the Fall
Entrepreneurial Streak
Laser Focus
Gambler's Luck/Fortune Roulette

High Concept:
Colonial Environmental Manager
Felix is a civilian engineer with expertise in the fields of environmental management and mechanical engineering. He specializes in heat management. Keeping cool the areas that need to be cool and keeping warm the areas that need to be warm. That's a tough job in space with a great many cryogenically frozen passengers, and it'll be even tougher when they make planetfall and need to start building habitats that have to withstand local conditions.

Trouble:
Rambunctious Knave
A joyful and rowdy man, Felix is not above certain kinds of shady enterprise. Whether it be trading in various contraband or setting up an illicit gambling stall, Felix doesn't mind dipping his hand into things that might get him into trouble. With a laugh and a smile he dives headlong into things that could cause him quite a bit of grief if he gets caught. Sometimes to help a friend. Sometimes to make a buck. Sometimes just for the sheer fun of it.

Aspect:
Pride Comes Before the Fall
Nothing angers Felix more than someone with an undeserved chip on their shoulder. Someone with a position of power, real or imagined, and they're using it to look down on those who have less power? Someone who abuses their power just to make other people miserable or gloat over them? Felix greatly relishes watching such people fall and it won't take much convincing to get him in on a trick that'll make a smug jackass look the fool.

Aspect:
Entrepreneurial Streak
One of Felix's passing hobbies is the study of economics and the value of goods. He comes from a family of business owners and stockbrokers, and a lot of their predilections rubbed off on him. Pretty useless for a colonist, but that doesn't mean that Felix doesn't exercise his skills in his off time. If you need it and are willing to pay or barter for it, he might know a guy that can get it for you. For a finder's fee, of course. Cigarettes, extra dessert rations, posters for your room, he's the guy to go to.

Aspect:
Laser Focus
Felix is someone that can focus. Once we puts his mind behind something he can see it through to the end with nothing more than his raw determination and ability to zero in on his objectives with a focus that's laser-like in its precision. Unfortunately, this means he's also prone to tunnel vision. Once he starts to focus on something it can blind him to other things that need doing. If someone earns his ire in combat he might focus on them exclusively, ignoring more opportune targets or leaving him open to attacks from other opponents he's not paying attention to.

I'm gonna Science the Science outta that
Felix is a rather inquisitive sort. A fair hand at building contraptions and applying scientific theory, Felix has a sharp intellect. When he sees something that puzzles him, he'll want to sink his teeth into it. Tear it apart and figure out what makes it tick. What makes it function. He just can't help himself. This can backfire if he gets distracted by his tinkering when he has more pressing things to do, or if he takes apart something he shouldn't have and can't figure out how to put it back together. The potential to learn something fascinating can also be used to tempt him into doing things he might not otherwise do.

Guest Star Adventure w/ Nathan Snow (balthazar):
Fortune Roulette
Everyone else in the world is pretty average, all things considered. Their days are average, their lives are average, and the events that play in between start and finish are most decidedly average. Felix's life is average, too. Though maybe it's better to say that it rounds out to about average. The course of his life is punctuated with many highs and many lows. A great many tales of vast fortune, lucky breaks, and splendid recoveries can often be found to begin or end with a disastrous turn of events.
(This is a guest story with Nathan Snow. I've not written it up yet but the overall theme is of luck in dealing with The Order. Bad luck that cause things to spiral out of control and good luck that ties everything neatly by the story's end. I'll add it here once I've written it)

Nathan wrote:
Fate points: 8

L33t Skillz:
+5:Guns.
+4:Survival,Alertness.
+3:Athletics,Resolve,Weapons.
+2:Endurance,Fists,Stealth,Engineering.
+1:Mysteries,Sleight-of-Hand,Burglary,Might,Academics; Ancient Cultures.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Stunts:

-Danger Sense.
-One Shot Left.
-Death Defyance.
-Wilderness Medic.-->(Same as Herbal Remedies, but uses Survival instead of Mysteries.)
-Tracker.

--------------------------------------------------------

Aspects:

-Been There, Done That.
-If I Can Survive Anywhere, I Can Survive Here.
-I'm Sorry, That's Classified.
-The Strong Defend The Weak.
-I Don't Need No Steenking Infrastructure.
-You Can Run, But You Can't Hide.
-It Only Takes One Perfect Shot.
-There's What You're Supposed To Do, And Then There's What's Right.

Name: Nathan Snow.

First Phase: Nathan (Nate for short), was born to a life of adventure. His parents were a pair of fairly well known international photographers and reporters who worked for National Geographic. Always on the move, they brought Nate along with them wherever they went, where he learned from some of the best survivalists, hunters, and masters of primitive skills in the world first hand, in their natural environment.

Aspects:
-Been There, Done That.
-If I Can Survive Anywhere, I Can Survive Here.

Second Phase: Traveling with his parents, Nate visited some sketchy places, including the odd war zone (only when he was older), and seeing what one person could do to another inspired him to join the military to try and protect others. Within five years he was part of a multinational group of special-forces that didn't officially exist, going where others wouldn't, and doing what others couldn't, all in the name of peace and stability. Returning from an operation, he learned that his parents had been killed just a few scant kilometers from where he had been. The helicopter had passed right over the firefight where they had died on the way back, and his superiors had said nothing when he was in a position to help those he cared about most. Stricken with grief and blaming his superiors, he resigned on the spot.

Aspects:
-I'm Sorry, That's Classified.
-The Strong Defend The Weak.

Third Phase: Unemployed and without purpose, Nate fell back on his drifting ways, relying on his extensive survival skills to keep food in his belly and the elements at bay. That is, until he got an email from an old friend from his unit, Alex. In short, Alex had stumbled on something big, and was in trouble, possibly dead, and in hiding if not. Someone had decided to try and establish a new world order, which was nothing new in and of itself, but this time they were awfully close to succeeding. At the core of it was a group that had Imaginatively decided to call itself The Order. Drawing inspiration from all sorts of secret societies real or fictional throughout history, they steeped themselves in the arcane and the occult. It would have been hilarious if it weren't for all the powerful names on the member list. With that list of names and a purpose once more, Nate set out. Evidence was found, and people in positions of power free from the Order's grasp made aware of it. Sanctums were raided, Secret meetings broken up, and occasionally people were dealt with in a very professional and permanent manner. At the end of it all, the Order was no more, and Nate was once again without purpose. Having traveled all the world over, he decided that it was time for a change, time to seek a new horizon. And so, leaving letters to people he could trust to guard against the return of The Order, Nate signed up for the Colony Ship Project, and left to drift among the stars.

Aspects:
-I Don't Need No Steenking Infrastructure.
-You Can Run, But You Can't Hide.

Guest Starring!

Arkady Sergeyovich Fedorenko: While "not" visiting the Ukraine to do something that never happened, Nate found himself witness to a rather messy ambush that looked like it might turn south for the good guys. Being a decent sort, Nate decided to do what he could to help out, but knew he could only get off one shot without getting in trouble with his superiors, by blaming it on an accidental discharge. Taking his time, He lined up his shot on the heavy machine-gunner who had somehow gotten into a partially collapsed building and was the cause of most of the trouble. Took his time to line up one perfect shot. Boom. The gunshot came as a surprise, as it should, and the round seemed to almost leisurely wander away, taking it's time, just as Nate had, before finding itself unerringly at it's mark. Before Control could ask anything, Nate was already on the radio. "Sorry, everything's alright. Just had to muffle a sneeze, and the hair-trigger on my rifle went off."
"Understood, proceed with Mission. Control out."

Aspects:
-It Only Takes One Perfect Shot.
-There's What You're Supposed To Do, And Then There's What's Right.

Arkady wrote:
Engineering 5
Empathy 4, Mysteries 4
Leadership 3, Resolve 3, Academics 3
Guns 2, Art 2, Science 2, Investigation 2
Drive 1, Survival 1, Gambling 1, Endurance 1, Alertness 1

The son of a pair of machinists from Rostov na Don, Arkady received a technical education and went to work at the repair shops of the regional electrical train system. Showing considerable talent at machining, he was taken under the wing of an aging tool and die maker supplementing his pension by working part time off the books, and taught the proper way to fabricate and assemble the various mechanical and electrical parts needed for the work. This quickly led to lucrative work off the books of his own, making tools and parts for various shops and helping out at small repair businesses. It also led to a strong contempt for the post-soviet era off the shelf components available in Rostov and a lot of the folks who used them; leaving him with a marked tendency to simply do everything from soup to nuts himself.
Aspect: If you want something done, do it yourself.

After a few years of this, he got swept up into the Civil War between the Ukrainians and the Moscow backed Russians. He fought for Ukraine for a bit over a year, and became moderately good at the niceties of killing the other chaps before they killed you; but after a rather messy ambush (which he was on the right side of) the whole thing became too much for him. He was sidelined for a few weeks with shell shock, and came out of it with a strong distaste for killing which got him put in a medic post for the remainder of the fighting. He overcame his reluctance only once, destroying a Russian armored personnel carrier with an RPG to protect a wounded civilian.

Aspect: Defensive pacifist.

While serving as a medic he found himself becoming more pious; finding considerable comfort in his mother's Ukrainian Catholicism when things got messy. Once the fighting died down he left the service, married his pre-war girlfriend, and took considerable comfort in the Church as he got back to work and tried to put his experiences behind him.
Almost a year later, chatting with a couple of other veterans about their problems, he decided that he should help others find this comfort. So with his wife's blessing he entered the seminary, and after several years of making good the shortcomings of his formal education and mastering his new calling (all while working part time off the books for the needed funds) he was duly ordained a priest. He was assigned to a parish near his native Rostov, and moved there with his wife.
Two years later, a well regarded parish priest, Arkady noticed an article in the paper about how many Ukrainians were going to be on the new starship. He and his wife Irina (not yet blessed with children) decided that the twin appeals of ensuring that the holy sacraments were available to those colonists, and of having a family someplace with a better future than Rostov, outweighed the risks involved. Arkady sent a request up through the hierarchy to be assigned to that post; and slightly to his surprise was informed a month later that he should consider himself so assigned and report to Kiev as soon as practical for further training.

Aspects: Pious, Good Shepherd.

Various NPCs, partial wrote:
Sir Bevier:

Resolve: +5
Weapons +3
Alertness: +0

Stunts:

Aspects:

Sir Ulath:

Stunts:
Dirty Fighter: (+3 instead of +2 when tagging an opponent's aspect)

Might: +5
Weapons, Endurance: +4
Alertness: +2

Aspects:

"Piper":

Skills:

Stunts:

Aspects:

Dr. Vanderbilt:

Medicine: +3

Stunts:

Aspects:

David Ember, Captain's P.A.:

Leadership +3
Rapport +0

Stunts:

Aspects:
(Temporary) Nervous Breakdown

Dr. Vanderbilt's "Medicine" skill is Science, with the restriction that it can only be used for medical checks (so she can't, say, identify an unknown chemical compound with it).

Last edited by CCC on Wed Jun 08, 2016 1:52 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Post Posted: Sat Mar 05, 2016 7:37 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Eh, I made a best guess of it. Seems she had something else in mind, I take it?

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 1:45 pm 
Guessing her name at this point is pretty near impossible, but she'll answer to any reasonable nickname.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 4:52 pm 
Um. My alertness is +4, for future reference.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 9:58 pm 
Whoops, so it is. That was enough for Nathan to notice something odd overnight, then.

I went back and edited it in.

Post Posted: Sun Mar 06, 2016 10:23 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
That is indeed weird. Gale force winds at our windmills? Maybe we're getting some kind of help?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 2:38 am 
Feel free to post even if I haven't, CCC. There's not much for Nate to do right now except make a nucance of himself on the ship, or hang with Piper and the Knights outside.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:27 am 
Okie dokie.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 11:20 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Posting from phone so please forgive if what I am typing isn't structured in an easy to read format.

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 5:13 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If I can convince the others of my plan, I'd like to have the medical staff looking over the med bay taking inventory and seeing what needs fixed while power is being diverted to it. I'd also like the engineer and farmer looking over the hydroponics wing doing the same. See what it takes to fix what's there. If we can get it up and running we'll be self sufficient long before anything we plant outside is ready to harvest. I don't know what David Ember is capable of, but I'd like him to assist however he can. While they're doing that I'll be outside getting more windmills set up. As soon as we have the power to bring a second system online, or if the medical staff finishes their work in the medical bay, I'd like power diverted to the kitchens. Specifically the fridges and freezers, so we can start stockpiling and storing large amounts of food for when we wake more people up. I'd like it if Nathan could investigate the area and find the game trails for bonuses to hunting. Maybe set some traps so we have a steady intake of meat to fill the freezers with once we get them online. Maybe build a smoke house for storing of meat without if we need the power for some other reason? We should have the stuff for it on board the ship.

Those are my general thoughts and what I'd like to do once we get things organized. Events might change my focus as they come up, but for now I wanted to get ideas to paper before I forget them. Any thoughts?

Post Posted: Tue Mar 08, 2016 6:46 pm 
We can start basic refridgeration even without power using evaporative cooling. That will be on the list right after the waterwheel.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:53 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
While I'm thinking about it, I'd like to make a guess at a couple of aspects that might exist in order to tag them that first time for free and use them to make myself more convincing.

I'd like to guess that there's a Weirdness Abounds aspect. The situation is far outside the parameters for what people waking up expected and Weird Things Are Happening. If it exists, I tag it.

I'd like to guess that there's a Danger Abounds aspect. What little we do know alludes to the fact that we're in a precarious position. It's just about the only thing we know for certain, anyway. What we don't know is a great deal more than that. If it exists, I tag it.

I'd like to guess that there's a Shipwrecked Survivor aspect currently affecting the group's mentality as a whole, or something akin to it. Spaceship Landing on an Unknown Alien World? We're all in a worried state trying to make sense of the situation before we can act and ensure our own survival. If it exists, I tag it.

After these possibilities are taken into account I will tag my Laser Focus aspect if I still need to.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 1:09 pm 
This is not something Leadership can help with - it's Rapport all the way. Leadership can help make people work more effectively once they've accepted your command, or it can be used to do administrative paperwork and handle bureaucracy.

As to those guessed Aspects:

Weirdness Abounds: +++Aspect Not Found+++

Danger Abounds: Got that one.

Shipwrecked Survivor: Got it.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 2:22 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Ah, okay. I thought it could be used for a general sense of authority as well. Strike a commanding tone.

Post Posted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:58 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I don't think Felix's focus on getting things done is earning him any favors, here.

I also suspect that the reason David is such a capable P.A. is because he has an eye for detail and planning. Maybe obsessively so. On another note, I might need Nathan's help up here sometime soon >.>

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG