Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm 
A note on how "opening up" works - Captain Argent got a +1 on his roll (thanks in part to having the right stunt) and gained spin (i.e. beat Felix by at least +3). What was revealed was therefore something true about the Captain, and not trivial, but it was the face the Captain chose to put forward; his public face, so to speak. If he's hiding anything, it stayed hidden.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 5:44 pm 
A gasifier, at it's simpliest is just a can with a few holes around the bottom and a hose to run the smoke into the carburator. I'm pretty sure we'd have something more sophisticated in storage. In addition, I like them because they don't need a fixed structure like a windmill, or a time baised resource like the sun to work. You refuel at the closest grove of trees and can run all night as long as you have fuel to burn. Plus I have that pesky anti-infrastucture aspect.

An electric vehicle would be great for making milkruns between the hospital and the ship, or even the capital and the ship*, but starts to become less practical the further afield we get.

* figure that someone on horseback in a hurry can make 50 km in a day, × 5 days = 250km. A good electric car can do 600km on a charge, so there and back with a bit of charge to spare.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 7:00 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I thought Nathan was joking the first time around, but I read it again and it sounds more like he's being kind of serious to me now. Do you want me to go back and edit/delete my response?

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 9:48 pm 
Nah. It's a good short term solution. A cheat sheet of the top 20 most common phrases likely to be used and possible answers. I was being serious about hacking a new language into whatever language program we have. Just make a copy of a language that has a similar grammer structure and rerecord the words that go with the images. But that will probably take a day or two to do, and then other people will have to learn it.

That said, there's nothing stopping us from parking the knights down in front of a terminal with a set of headphones and a microphone and starting to learn english.

Post Posted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 10:15 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Might be a good idea to bring a dozen tablets loaded with English learning software and headphones along for the ride to any new outpost we establish so we can teach any locals hired to work with us and use them as interpreters.

We'll still need to hack out a proper translation guide, though. That's probably a more permanent solution, long term.

Post Posted: Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:13 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Setting up cameras and motion sensors shall be my goal for the day, if at all possible. I should also consider getting rid of the night vision in exchange for a bonus to alertness, because being able to see in the dark isn't doing me any good if I can't notice anything to begin with.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 10:21 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
We really should get some radios charged so we'll have them for emergencies where everyone needs to be on hand for combat.

EDIT
Oh, wasn't the Cockatrice supposed to be a predator of the Manticore? This could be bad...

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 4:43 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If the eggs survived and are viable, maybe we should take them, hatch them, and try to tame them. Cockatrice war beasts! Think of the terror we could bestow!

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 6:29 pm 
Guard cockatrices. Just lock eyes with an intuder and crow until backup shows.

It's a terrible idea, but a cool one.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:06 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
It's such a bad idea we have to do it. Or at least consider it, anyway.

Survival covers training animals, right? I build the special containment pens and research the special goggles that keeps us from being stunned, you train them to obey your every command. Go Team Venture! Or whatever it is we're calling ourselves.

Post Posted: Mon Apr 11, 2016 7:49 pm 
"What are these statues in your hallway?"

"Previous intruders..."

And yes, survival covers training animals.

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:44 am 
Refresh time!

A "refresh" happens whenever a major scene ends and you get a bit of downtime. The "introduction and landing" scene has just ended, and a new scene is now beginning. There are two major things that happen at a refresh:

- First, if your number of unused FATE points is less than your number of Aspects, you gain FATE points sufficient to make your total equal to your number of Aspects. If you have more FATE points than Aspects, your totals are unchanged.
- Secondly, if you have less than ten Aspects, you may at this point choose to add one or more Aspects to your character (bringing you to a total of ten or less Aspects), giving you more uses for your FATE points (this will also mean you get more FATE points at the next refresh)

(Mild and Moderate consequences are also removed, but that's more to do with getting a good night's sleep than with the refresh)

So. Anyone looking to pick up new Aspects?

Post Posted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:35 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix has been pretty keen on performing experiments on everything they get their hands on, so I was thinking an aspect related to that.

Quote:
I'm Gonna Science the Hell Outta That

Felix is a rather inquisitive sort. A fair hand at building contraptions and applying scientific theory, Felix has a sharp intellect. When he sees something that puzzles him, he'll want to sink his teeth into it. Tear it apart and figure out what makes it tick. What makes it function. He just can't help himself. This can backfire if he gets distracted by his tinkering when he has more pressing things to do, or if he takes apart something he shouldn't have and can't figure out how to put it back together. The potential to learn something fascinating can also be used to tempt him into doing things he might not otherwise do.

It's a reference to The Martian, but we can't say the S word on the Sluggy boards so I'm using Hell instead, which we can say because Pete used it in the comic and that's basically our guide on what we can and can't say on the board. Anyway, Felix has been pretty inquisitive about the properties of the various elements of the world around him, both fantastic and mundane. He's also expressed a fair amount of interest in performing experiments on various things. So I'm gonna add an aspect related to applying science to the world around him.

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:28 am 
Right. Felix has a new Aspect.

Also, it has been pointed out to me that I forgot the free tags on the Forest and Swamp aspects for creating antibiotics. I've edited that post - you now have a load of antibiotics in the cart with you. Along with two Elene Knights, one silent Styric child, a doctor who doesn't speak the local language, and a horse (who also doesn't speak the local language, incidentally).

And weapons and generic camping supplies. And some rations (mainly smoked cockatrice and manticore).

Post Posted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 4:38 am 
Nate has jerky and ammo. He's set for awhile.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG