Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Re: Long Way From Home
 Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:17 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Felix waits patiently for her to get dressed. He's fidgeting with worry but he's doing his best to remain calm as he explains slowly and calmly.

"No ma'am, there's no food on the ship at all. We've been frozen so long that it all rotted away to nothing. Our power reserves are critically low as well. All of the computers are locked in power saving mode and I can't wake anyone up to help me restore things to order. I'm going to try and rig up a new power supply soon and I'm trying to find engineers to help me make installations and repairs. Get this ship in shape and the hydroponics bays up and running, somehow. Can you help us assemble a crew?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:36 pm 
"Without food, anybody you wake up will be dead within - did you say sentient life?"

--------------

Sir Sparhawk shrugs. "Worth a try," he opines. "Sephrenia?"

The Pale Lady describes a series of symptoms; convulsions, fever, sweating.

Nathan: Survival: +4 Roll: +1 Total: +5 Target: +7

Nathan can't tell what exactly is wrong with the victim (some lady who the knights left back home). It seems that something is attacking her central nervous system; it could be some sort of genetic malady, it could be some sort of poison, it could be some rare and unlikely disease. Whichever it is, said lady doesn't sound like she's long for this world.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:50 pm 
Nate ponders for awhile.

"Nothing is ringing a bell. Really there is just too many things it could be based on the symptoms. I'd need to do an exam to narrow it down further."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Yes, Dr. Vanderbilt. Sentient life," Felix says. "To all appearances a medieval one. Swords, spears, axes. Humanoid Knights in metal armor mounted on the backs of some manner of creature analogous to horses. A dozen of them showed up outside our airlock when Nathan and I went outside to explore. They've not yet initiated hostilities and thus far have been rather peaceful, but I can't shake the feeling that they were incredibly apprehensive at our sudden appearance. I don't know what's going on, but it's not outside the realm of possibility that we could be attacked sometime soon. I'd like to get things established and people woken up before that happens."

Felix clears his throat, making sure he's still speaking English.

"They shared some food with us while we attempted communications with them and thus far it hasn't had any adverse effects, so at least some of the flora and fauna on this world is edible. We can go out into the surrounding forest and do some hunting to feed ourselves. There's an ocean nearby as well, so water isn't a concern either. We're unlikely to starve if we limit the number of people we wake up in the mean time."

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:13 pm 
Pale Lady wriggles her fingers. "I can show you an image, if that'll help," she offers. She says something in a language that Nate doesn't understand, then claps her hands - when she pulls her hands apart again, there's some kind of... some kind of three-dimensional hologram, showing a good-looking young girl with incredibly dark skin suffering from, as described, convulsions, fever and sweating.

It doesn't really tell Nate anything about the disease that he didn't already know.

--------------

"Forest." Dr. Vanderbilt gives Felix a look of complete disbelief. "Ocean. Knights on horseback. Right. See any dragons yet?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"If you'd like we could take a trip to the airlock so you can see for yourself?" Felix takes the skin from his belt and presents it to the good doctor. "Would you like a sip of this alcoholic wine they gave me while we walk?"

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:07 pm 
Nate is dumbfounded. He blinks his eyes a few times just to be sure he isn't just seeing things, before taking a closer look at the image.

"That is amazing, but unfortunatly, it doesn't tell me much that we didn't already know. I would need to be in person to check things like skin discoloration, pupil response, strange smells on her breath, check her pulse and breathing, discoloration of her fingernails.... the list goes on, really."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:56 am 
Dr. Vanderbilt gives Felix a Look. "Alcohol? On a stomach this empty?" she asks. "Come on, let's go see this airlock of yours."

--------------

"Skin colouration unchanged. Pupil response swift. No strange smells on her breath. Pulse erratic. Breathing shallow. Fingernails -" The Pale Lady wriggles her fingers just so and the image zooms in on the girl's hand. "Fingernails not discoloured."

There's a hissing sound from the ship as the outer airlock door opens, and then the thump of someone sitting down very suddenly. "Good grief," says Dr. Vanderbilt, in English.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 12:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Told you," Felix replied, in English. "This might go a fair bit faster if you just accept that Weird Things Are Happening. See those guys down there? They're actually quite nice. I don't know who or what else is here, so I'd think it's a good idea to try and get things operational as soon as possible. For that to happen it'll be quite helpful to have a team assisting me, if only so we can get power running again. I could maybe set up some windmills by myself given time but such a large task will definitely go faster if I have help."

Felix takes a closer look at the situation and notices something amiss.

"Is that... Is that a hologram? Maybe our Medieval friends aren't so Medieval... I'm gonna go down and see if they have any food left for you, and also to see if we can't arrange some manner of trade to get more food for the people who wake up. I'm sure we can find something of value to give them that we don't really need all that much. You're welcome to come with if you want?"

Felix moves to go back down the ladder unless Doctor Vanderbilt has anything to say to him.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 3:58 pm 
"Have you tried burning a lock of her hair to see if it gives off a strange color flame, or smell?"

At the arrival of Felix and the good Doctor, Nate waves at them.

"Looks like someone else decided to get some fresh air."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:31 pm 
"...I did not think to try that," admits the Pale Lady. She puts her hands together, and the image vanishes. "I thank you for considering the case. Are there other doctors in your frozen star ship whose opinion in this matter we can seek?"

Dr. Vanderbilt follows Felix down the ladder. "How on earth - or wherever we are - is it possible that he -" she nods at Nate - "can speak an entirely alien language? And how could humans have possibly turned up on an alien world? Or -" she glances at the red-haired black man with the giant axe - "something very close?"

"Greetings, neighbours," says Sir Sparhawk. "Would the two of you like to join us for lunch?"

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:49 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
"Remember when I said that 'Weird Things Are Happening'? I sense it's going to be a recurring theme for the next while," Felix smiles, making sure he's continuing to speak in English. "Nate and I both woke up speaking this language as if we'd both known it our whole lives and we seem to revert back to it by default if we don't focus. It's why you couldn't understand me when you first woke up. Weird, right? I know. See above, regarding recurring theme."

Felix laughs a little bit as he explains. Turning to the group of Knights, he begins to address them in their native tongue.

"Greetings. My name is Felix False. I apologize for not introducing myself earlier. I was sort of in panic mode trying to figure out what was going on and neglected the basic niceties that I would owe someone who has shown such kindness. Thank you for feeding me, and thank you for sharing your lunch with my friends. The Good Doctor Vanderbilt here is definitely in need of sustenance. She's been without food for just as long as I have."

Turning back to Doctor Vanderbilt, he goes back to speaking English. "It would seem they still have some food left. After you get done eating I'd like to discuss exactly what we're going to do from here. I don't think I've yet stopped freaking out and would very much like to decide on a course of action as soon as humanly possible."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:22 pm 
As Felix introduces Dr. Vanderbilt, Nate smiles.

"I think that could be arranged."

As the Doctor eats, Nathan slips into english and fills her and Felix in on his conversation. Afterwards, he voices some of his suspicions.

"I think we were out-paced by later ships as we traveled, and this is an old colony world. It would explain alot, like the fact that we can eat the same food, or that these people are so similar to us. It's because they are human, or at least evolved or were engineered from humans."

"Also, an opportunity has presented itself. It would seem that a friend of these fine people has fallen very ill, and I think if we could help them, it might go a fair distance towards establishing friendly relations, and trade, which we need desperatly right now."

Post Posted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:46 pm 
"People do not just 'wake up' speaking an entirely new language out of nowhere!" insists Dr Vanderbilt. "Thank you," she adds, as Sir Sparhawk passes her some meat, which she devours ravenously.

"Doctor Vanderbilt?" asks Sir Sparhawk. "Would you perhaps be willing to try helping us out?"

"I do not recognise her language," says the Pale Lady, "but I don't think she speaks Elene."

Post Posted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 12:05 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Felix eyes Doctor Vanderbilt, mildly exasperated.

"Remember when I said Weird Things Are Happening? I was being serious. Suspension of disbelief might be necessary at this juncture until crisis has passed us by," Felix states in English. Looking back at the Knights, he ponders aloud. "It appears someone important to them is in dire need of medical assistance. Perhaps we can assist them in exchange for their help?"

"Alright, it appears that whatever phenomenon has allowed Nathan and I to speak your language hasn't extended to the Doctor, but I'm sure we can help you out if one of us provides translation," Felix says to the Knights and Pale Lady in their language.

Last edited by Kajin on Tue Mar 01, 2016 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG