Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post subject: Is anybody out there?
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:02 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
At the risk of quoting Pink Floyd (which would be awkward). I'm curious if anyone is still looking at these threads anymore who might be interested in a game of some kind. By somebody. With or without excessive drinking. If so, perhaps a game could be arranged.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 2:43 pm 

Post Posted: Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:04 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Kind of a thin encounter table, though: 1-5 gas molecules, 6 see dust table.

Post Posted: Wed Jul 08, 2015 1:58 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I might be willing. It's been forever since I was in a good game. Not since the games in GRPG collectively stalled.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 10, 2015 6:22 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Ok, lessee...I've got some solitaire adventures here...a bit high powered, though. Let me hit the archives.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:10 am 
Hey, is this activity?

...I'm not too late, am I? I kindof haven't been looking here lately...

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:56 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
Welcome to Night of the Living Thread.

No, you're not too late; Kajin and I have been discussing setting up a game behind the scenes. Currently we have modern/post modern, possibly post holocaust, and/or a science/magic type game.

For the latter I was leaning toward something in a limited access multi-world scenario. Expensive starships, plane jumping, hyperspace highway; that sort of thing. For the former, well, Kajin likes survival scenarios (which post-holocaust tends to be); but of course countless bodies don't have to have hit the ground for things to get bad locally.

Any thoughts?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 2:46 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If we're going interplanetary with a survival slant, we could start out aboard a capital ship of some kind that gets destroyed and we have to try and find a way off while dealing with the dangers of navigating the dangers that'd be present in a spaceship that's been destroyed with only partial hull integrity and areas with minimal life support.

Another idea would be a sort of zombie apocalypse cross with magic, either set in a standard fantasy world or a modern world inspired by resident evil where all the special zombies were magic users in life or something. I think we're reaching zombie saturation point, though, and the only reason I kinda of like the idea is because I like the idea of fighting a DnD style Lich with assault rifles and firebolts while dodging the lightning it's throwing back at me :torg:

Those are just a couple of ideas I've had floating around in my head a while that vaguely fit the different premises we're looking at. If you guys have ideas for what you want to do I'd love to hear them.

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:33 pm 
Modern/postmodern sounds good. I'm not a great fan of survival horror end-of-civilisation settings (I find the lack of hope unpleasant), but I do really like a science-magic mix; especially the idea of characters from a science-type setting finding themselves exploring a magic-type setting (with things like the technological level of the science side, the magic level of the magic side, whether the science guys can go home at will, and how much time they had to pack before arriving all being adjustable to taste).

Mind you, a mostly destroyed capital ship is a good setting - it doesn't carry the end-of-civilisation hopelessness that most dismays me about a lot of survival horror. Maybe a capital ship mostly destroyed by a drive failure that dumps the entire thing into the neighbouring magic-type sword-and-sorcery universe? Perhaps a drive failure that can be recreated with enough fuel to randomly shift ship and contents between worlds again and again, hoping to eventually shift home but forced to hunt down suitable fuel and/or other supplies and/or anyone who has any better idea how to get back in every new universe?

Post Posted: Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:03 pm 
The high fantasy with guns thing was what I was trying for, but the game fell apart before it got going. I blame myself and my inexperience at GMing really.

I'd like to join in if you'll have me.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:33 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The more the merrier.

A lost in space game. Truthfully, I never liked the show; they put the only human in a robot suit for some reason.

For me, it would have to be a tech milieu that somehow got access to magic; I can't see a world with magic and/or miracles working that would ever develop 'high' technologies based on exploiting natural laws. Not unless supernature obviously just barely works and can not be improved on for some reason (irate gods, extremely low mana, whatever).

But back to a game. There are plenty of ways to create 'you can't get back the way you came' scenarios, and I don't think I'd be comfortable with one that defines the end of the campaign as the solution to the problem. That's one of the reasons I like the magic/tech path between worlds milieu; going home isn't the be all and end all. You may be sent out again tomorrow.

Post Posted: Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:21 pm 
Plus, in the meantime, it also allows you to go back home and refuel. A tech milieu is always at a bit of a disadvantage when they don't have enough batteries for the power armour, after all.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
That's true, though ammunition might also help. Any other thoughts? Rejections? Vehement repudiations?

Post Posted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:07 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
My thoughts. Who says we ever get to go home? Maybe a part of the game is our characters coming to terms with the fact that they'll never get home and adjusting accordingly? Learning to make adjustments as our power armor and technology starts breaking down and having to rely more and more on local substitutes, weapons and guile? I think that could be interesting in itself, though I have no idea how such a game would play in practice.

Post Posted: Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:35 am 
It's been so long since I played anything, I'd be willing to role-play standing in line to have my vehicle registration renewed.

Kajin, we could also start manufacturing new equipment and gear, or modifying our old gear. It might not be as sophisticated as what we started out with, but you'd be surprised how easy it is to actualy make even vietnam era tech. We went to the moon with slide rulers after all, and prototype power-armour has been around since the mid-60's, at least.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG