Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:25 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
I was afraid of that... May I edit my post to ask to switch places? Say I'm taking over guard duty because I'm too tired to climb back down from hunger, then go and try to get more help?

If push comes to shove we can try to learn about edible fauna and flora from the good Knights and arrange for a possible trade run to the merchant they mentioned. I'll look for the Captain at very least and a passenger list of possible candidates to wake up as well.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:34 am 
Go ahead and edit your post.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 1:55 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Made another minor edit. No longer makes sense to give the food to Nathan if Nathan is going to be going down there.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:25 am 
Getting a good meal will eliminate the -2 to everything from cryosleep sickness. Waking someone up successfully (manually) is a Science roll with difficulty +5.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:36 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Do I have any fate points I can bring into play? I need this to be a success and am willing to throw fate points at it to make it so. We need friendlies here.

Edit
Found the section about fate points. I'll invoke them when it's time to post.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:24 am 
Yes, you do. You have, by my count, three Aspects at the moment:

Pride Comes Before the Fall
Entrepreneurial Streak
Gambler's Luck (not explicitly stated, but strongly implied by your Guest Starring adventure, can be invoked for good luck or compelled for bad)

Given that your high concept is Colonial Environmental Manager, I'll allow that as an Aspect as well, especially given that it's going to be immediately useful (since it implies some familiarity with the cryocapsules). Which means four Aspects.

Which means that you start out with four Fate Points.

Some important notes to bear in mind:

- Each invoked Aspect can be used for a +2 bonus on a single roll.
- Invoking an Aspect that has been explicitly stated, or any of your own Aspects, requires spending a Fate point.
- You are not limited to using your own Aspects. Anything might have Aspects - the room, the cryocapsule, the person you're waking up. You can tag any of these Aspects for a +2 bonus.
- Correctly guessing an Aspect allows you to tag it once, immediately, for free. Re-tagging that Aspect will then cost one Fate point, as usual. Incorrectly guessing an Aspect costs you nothing (and also does not give any bonus), so if you're not sure it's always worth it to try to guess an Aspect.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:30 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
When I go to open the capsule, I'll likely tag the Colonial Environmental Manager and Fortune Roulette aspects, using two points and adding +4 to the roll to get that NPC out alive. I'd also like to keep a third point on standby to use if the roll comes up short to attempt a reroll, though I'm not sure if you can do that in this version of FATE. Would you allow that?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:57 am 
You can use a Fate Point for a reroll, but that requires tagging an as yet untagged Aspect. Aspects can be tagged after the roll (so if you happen to roll a +4 on your first roll, you won't tag any aspects and you'll keep all your Fate points) - if you somehow manage to roll so abysmally that tagging two Aspects won't save you, I'll assume that the first Aspect you tag will be a reroll instead of a +2.

I haven't worked out the odds, but... you're going to have to be pretty seriously unlucky with the dice to mess this one up.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:12 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
When Felix was outside, what did he see of the state of the solar panels that were supposed to be on the outside of the ship?

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:24 am 
They're there. Probably some of them are working. From a brief glance, he saw no reason not to assume that most of them are working.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:29 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
So either there's a problem with connecting the power they provide to the rest of the ship or they were never meant to provide enough power supply for all functions. Got it. If it's the latter then they're probably why we've got what little power that's there. Either way it's something to repair or expand on.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:34 am 
It's probably what's keeping the cryocapsules running.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:40 am 
Whatever power they're providing or not providing, they're going to stop providing it after sundown.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:44 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Better make haste, then.

Also, I wish I could be speaking to the Pale Lady right now. The reaction Felix would be giving to her right now. Ancient One indeed...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:07 am 
I feel it prudent to mention molten salt batteries at this time. They come in both rechargeable and non-rechargeable varieties, and they don't go bad.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG