Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:55 am 
AOL: JaredTosanu
Location: The ultimate evil, with hot and cold running water!
Hi guys. So, ive discussed this with a few of you, but here it is for the rest of you. I am setting up a new game. Based on a setting from a D&D style book, this game is a pirate setting. A world in the late medieval technology (guns JUST starting to be invented), with all your average fantasy elements. Character creation will be very free and whatever you want, within limit.

Diclaimer: The setting, and a large part of the adventure planned, comes directly from published work by Green Ronin. I dont claim their work as my own, but i am not simply copying. i use their work as my frame,

--Setting--

Freeport is a paradox of a city. It was first created as a hideout for pirates, being a well made natural harbor, a few small islands around a bay, with well shielded waters. The pirates found this place so well hidden and such a good port, that they began to build a permanent settlement.

As time went by, it began to grow into a fair sized town. As this happened, the need for a level of law and control within the city led to the creation of a government, the Captain's counsel. As the city became more civilized, naturally the pirates who lived there began to change. A certain level of civility entered into their actions. The pirates became, in general, more like rebels and freegoing adventurers.

This time of pirates couldnt last forever, however. The nations of the world banded together a large navy to wipe out this scourge of the sea. The pirates responded by forming their own great navies, two in number. The captains Francisco and Drac, two of the most powerful members of the Council, each led a navy. But they were still outnumbered. Freeport's days seemed numbered.

Francisco was a captain of honor, but Drac most certainly wasn't. But the man was crafty. He thought of only one way to prevent the destruction of Freeport. In secret, he met with the leaders of the opposing navies, and worked out a deal. Freeport would be legalized, but watched, a city state of mercenaries and shipping. Drac would be installed as leader, called the Sea Lord. And the other navy of Freeport would be removed.

Francisco was betrayed, and left to be destroyed, with his navy. Drac, pleased at the removal of his rival, easily took over as head of Freeport with the support of other nations. All this happened a while ago, about 150 years.

Drac was clever enough to set up a law that only members of his bloodline could be Sea Lord. But a recent crisis has thrown the city into disarray. The most recent Sea Lord, Milton Drac, was actually a member of a dark cult, with a group of Serpent People who lived deep underground. With their help, he created a massive, highly expensive magical lighthouse on a nearby island. This would project the symbol of the god of the Serpent people, the Unspeakable One. The symbol of madness would destroy Freeport, and give power to the dark god. But Milton was found out, killed, and the cult dispersed.

But no known relative of his is known to exist. So the Council debates, members jockying for position for what they see as the inevitable repeal of law, while openly searching for relatives of Drac, though it is likely that any wouldnt survive being found out.

And another danger lurks. Nearby tribes of savage barbarians have recently begun to threaten the city, seeing it as an easy target for their hordes. And more than one cult exists in such an exciting city.

--Other things of note--

An important Deity of Freeport is Harrimast, the god of pirates. This grizzled buccaneer lord is a crafty old soul, the epitomy of the mild cruelty, and romantic spirit, of the pirates. His worship is powerful in the city, and his priests are wellknown, most of them former pirates themselves.

--characters--

Ok, lets not get bogged down here. Make any sort of character you like, with certain limits. First, they should fit within the world of fantasy, with a pirate tint. They shouldnt be pirates themselves....yet. Second, they should be fairly strong, but not godlike. i might ahve to work that one out myself. Make characters, races and abilities, and ill make their powers and capabilities. This will be in the basic freeform style of battle.

Third, i need very specific types of characters. in the DnD world, there are a few archtypes. The fighter, whether a walking armor tank, a clever, agile swordsman, or a barehanded monk, any of those, just be creative. The Spellcaster: worshippper of a deity with holy power, the natural talent of a bloodline, or the study of dusty books and tomes. The face: a fast talking rogue, or a charismatic bard.

In other words, what i need are two people of the figthing type, 2 spellcasters, and one miscillaneous. ill take some suggestions one way or the other, but i need SOME balance. also, note that one has to balance their magic/physical power. the more you ahve of one, the less in the other. dont bother crafting skills, or spells. thats MY job

In DnD terms, level 7 or so. If you dont understand the relative power of that, ask me.

I am going to accept 5, and ONLY 5 players. i know usually GMs allow extras if they have exceptional characters, but this one is ironclad. For in this game, a major plot point requires i have a VERY specific nubmer of players.

So, any race you think can fit this world, whatever kind of skills or such you want, and a background that DOESNT involve coming from Freeport (the start of the game has the entire group ARRIVING in freeport on the same boat, so feel free to connect players to each other). Magic items are part of this game, so come up with whatever neat magic you want.

A grand adventure awaits, with evil beings, terrible monsters, and treasure beyond your greatest reckoning. Have fun!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:15 pm 
AOL: quesoLOCO27
Alright, Jared, I'll bite! :kiki:

However, I'll need some help with my stats and stuff. I plan to be one of those "faces" you mentioned... probably qiute bard-ish, and female. If you'll have me, I'll work out at least the basic information and history and some general stats, but as far as "level 7" goes, I'd need to look at a book to see what kinds of special abilities are generally associated with that level.

Actually, if there's some kind of online D&D style resource out there, that would do.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 12:28 pm 
level 7, and such, is a resource for dnd players. since your job of character creation is characterization. as in, background, basic description and personality, all that, you dont need to worry. Bards are skill types, charismatic. They also use some levels of charm magic, associated with their music. Just include the types of thigns you expect your bard to be able to do in your character sheet. This is meant to be RP heavy in terms of characters, so go nuts!

^^

just be general about the characters basic abilities. their strength, toughness, agility, intellegence and charisma, and what theyre good at. thats all you need to worry about in stats. im making this a nice freeform game.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:07 pm 
Evil Game Minister of DOOM!
AOL: Draco+Ignifer
Location: Earth to earth. Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. Illusions to illusions. And dreams to dreams.
The character I'm currently working on is, in many respects, your average adventuring sorcerer. And no, I'm not going to elaborate on the phrase "in many respects."

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:19 pm 
Level 7 you say? Count me in.

I know it's freeform, but do you mind if I write up a charachter in a more.....classical sense? Sorry, but old Pen&Paper roleplaying habits demand that I have some stats to look at.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 1:30 pm 
im just gonna deconstruct it into the other system, but ok.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:08 pm 
Website: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/profile.php?id=122705047
WLM: [email protected]
AOL: marauderpilot
I'll sign up! Sounds interesting. I'll take a figher-type character.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:31 pm 
AOL: captplati
Location: To have the right to do something is not the same as being right in doing it
I'll sign up. I prefer priestly characters. So a priest of Harrimast would suit me just fine. Healer type. Do I need to PM you my background and personality type?

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:53 pm 
Well, my char has been PM'ed in. And I second CptPlatypus's question.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:41 am 
it isnt first come first serve, its by best. best characterized. personality, background, history. dont bog yourself down in dnd stats and ideas. that weakens your chances.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:17 pm 
SSJJared wrote:
it isnt first come first serve, its by best. best characterized. personality, background, history. dont bog yourself down in dnd stats and ideas. that weakens your chances.

Ya should'a said that in the first place. :p

Anyway, info PM'ed in.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 1:25 pm 
AOL: quesoLOCO27
Mine's in as well. I hope I'm cool enough.... :kiki:

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 2:45 pm 
Queso's is fine, though one thing. either make your friends other characters in the game, or readjust this. im sorry, but it doesnt work from my gaming standpoint to add allied NPCs to things.

Agent, i sent you exactly what i thought in a pm. youre thinking from WAY too thin an rp standpoint. you sent a background, but im not impressed.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 3:01 pm 
SSJJared wrote:
Queso's is fine, though one thing. either make your friends other characters in the game, or readjust this. im sorry, but it doesnt work from my gaming standpoint to add allied NPCs to things.

Agent, i sent you exactly what i thought in a pm. youre thinking from WAY too thin an rp standpoint. you sent a background, but im not impressed.

It's not thin, it's different. And if you didn't want a 7th level trippy and weird charachter you should have added a "no trippy and weird charachters" clause.

But anyway, charachter re-submitted, minus all the stuff you said wasn't passable.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jan 23, 2005 4:40 pm 
Count me in. Character concept (Sparrow) PM'ed.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG