Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG




Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ] 
 
Author Message
 Post Posted: Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:31 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
After an hour of preparation, gathering everything the group thinks it will need for a journey through the Nevernever, the group sets out for the Way that will lead them through to Chicago. The entrance to the Way happens to be under the jungle gym of an old run-down playground behind an abandoned manor in the suburbs. The area has a forlorn quality to it. This is a place where children should be running, laughing, and playing. Shouts of the laughter of children should be filling the air. Instead there is nothing but overgrown weeds and rusted out playground equipment. The asphalt has cracks running through it and a nearby swing set creaks eerily in the wind.

"Alright, we're here," Naomi says, leaning against the jungle gym. "The Way starts here and leads us through some fairly mountainous terrain, but tapers off into a delightful valley towards the bottom. It's about a fifteen minute jog to the bottom, so we won't be there long. Does anyone have any questions or concerns?"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 1:03 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
"Yes, I'd just like to state for the record that I have a bad feeling about this."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 2:19 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 6868
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
"I don't know, I kind of have a good feeling about it. Broadening our horizons, and all that." Oz looks in approval at their surroundings.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:10 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
"I'd like to ask how much of it passes through the realms of Faerie?" enquires Charles.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:58 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Don't worry, Brecon. This is one of the main Ways through the Nevernever, it's relatively safe," Naomi tries to assuage any doubts the fellow magic user might have.

"Faerie is the single largest part of the Nevernever and its lands are the closest to the Mortal Realm," Naomi replies in response to Charles Cane's question. "It's a relatively safe assumption that most Ways go through it. This path itself begins in Winter and ends at the edge of Summer."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:18 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
Charles nods at Naomi's answer. His glamour hasn't slipped since he applied it back at the Snuggly Duckling; he still looks like an ordinary person and definitely not a changeling. "Okay," he says, "I'm ready."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 5:27 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
"Yeah, I know. Still, I can't shake the feeling that....something, is going to happen. We must be cautious."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:19 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"Alright, since we're all ready let's go."

Reaching into her backpack, Naomi pulls out a small obsidian knife inscribed with various runes and carvings. Reaching up and muttering a word, she lowers her arm down. The knife slices through reality like a knife through a length of silk, the gateway falling open like a piece of torn cloth.

It suddenly becomes a little bit difficult to breath as the group steps out onto a craggy path halfway up the side of a small mountain. A light dusting of snow is falling but there isn't a cloud in the sky. The sky itself is a deep purple with a thin line of emerald green on the horizon. Three different moons hang directly overhead, all of them in a different phase of the lunar cycle. Off in the distance, everyone can see a meadow at the foot of the mountain with one tall and lonesome tree in the direct center. Beyond the meadow is a series of rolling hills and grasslands.

With a gesture of the knife in her hand, Naomi closes the Way behind them and sags down to the ground. "Sorry, give me a bit to rest. I've never opened a Way before and it takes a lot out of you to do it."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 10:55 pm 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 6868
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
"Comforting." Oz steps through the Way, taking in his surroundings with a quick glance as he searches for any potential threats. He frowns at the tree, but says nothing.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:24 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
The alien howl of a lonely beast sounds off from further up the mountain range. The sound is a pervasive, echoing thing that can be felt as much as heard.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:25 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed May 15, 2002 12:00 am
Posts: 10937
Charles looks up at the three moons for a long moment. Then he says "Unless I miss my guess, the sun has to be in three different places at the same time."

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:43 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:57 pm
Posts: 4102
Location: Currently on expedition.
Brecon looks for threats in the opposite direction Oz is looking. The Jedi himself looks relaxed,but a practiced eye can tell that he's ready to move in any direction at the slightest sign of danger.

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:43 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
"It's possible that there might be three different suns, or even no sun at all. Could even be that the moons are generating their own light," Naomi replies, standing back up and putting the knife back into her backpack. "The Nevernever is a place of thought and imagination. The laws of reality don't have as strict a hold here as they do in the Mortal Realm."

Charles rolls Alertness +2 vs Stealth +2.
Charles rolls Athletics +4 vs Bows +3. The attack misses.
Brecon rolls Alertness +6 vs Stealth +2
Brecon rolls Athletics +1 vs Bows +4. Brecon takes a three shift hit at Weapon: 2 for a five stress hit. He takes a mild consequence and his third stress box is ticked off.
Ozymandius rolls Alertness +3 vs Stealth +2.
Ozymandius rolls Athletics +3 vs Bows +5. Ozymandius takes a two shift hit at Weapon: 2 for a four stress hit. His fourth stress box is ticked off.
Naomi rolls Alertness +6 vs Stealth +2.
Naomi rolls Athletics +2 vs Bows +7. Naomi takes a five shift hit at Weapon: 2 for a seven stress hit. She takes a moderate consequence and her third stress box is ticked off.


Just as Naomi finishes speaking, a volley of arrows comes hurtling out of the woods downhill from the group. Charles barely manages to see the attack coming at the last second and hits the deck just in time to duck out of the way of a flaming arrow. Brecon, Naomi, and Oz all see the attack coming, but none of them react fast enough to avoid it. Ozymandius spots the attackers coming and manages to move quick enough to avoid a direct hit. The arrow aimed at him just barely grazes his side as it passes by. Brecon sees the attack coming but isn't fast enough to dodge it. Luckily for him, the arrow aimed at him gets caught in his robe instead of his stomach. The flames from the arrowhead burn him up pretty good before he manages to rip it out of the fabric and pat them out. Naomi isn't as lucky as he is, though. She takes an arrow to her shoulder and hits the ground hard.

A couple of lights shoot our from the darkness. As they get closer, they prove to be little Pixies about six inches tall. Taking advantage of the confusion, they approach Naomi. Pulling two swords out of their tiny scabbards, they slash out, not at her, but at the backpack she's wearing. Pulling the now strapless backpack free from her shoulders, they fly off back down to the valley and out of sight.

"Avaunt, Winter knaves!" Shouts a shrill, high pitched voice from the direction the arrows came from. Now visible from their hiding spot in the trees, everyone can see a group of three bow-wielding short people, notching arrows and preparing another volley.

Initiative wrote:
+7, Ozymandius
+6, Brecon Sagar
+6, Naomi Sasaki
+6, Bow-Wielding Leader
+5, Short, Bow-Wielding Lunatic #1
+4, Short, Bow-Wielding Lunatic #2
+2, Charles Cane

Round One, Fight! wrote:
Charles Cane's Stress:
Physical: [] [] []
Mental: [] [] []
Social: [] [] [] []

Ozymandius' Stress:
Physical: [] [] [] [X]
Mental: [] [] []
Social: [] [] []
Hunger: [] [] [] []

Brecon Sagar's Stress:
Physical: [] [] [X] Mild: (Blisters and Burns)
Mental: [] [] []
Social: [] []

Naomi Sasaki's:
Physical: [] [] [X] Moderate: (Shoulder, Burned and Bloodied)
Mental: [] [] []
Social: [] []

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:00 am 
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 12:00 am
Posts: 6868
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
"Hold!" Oz barks out a command, ringing with authority, as he holds up his hand in front of the pixies. "We have business in these lands, and safe passage given and granted. Nor are we Winter-born, or of Winter's service. Let us pass, or there shall be retribution upon you!"

Top 
   
 Post Posted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:17 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
User avatar
Offline
Joined: Sat Feb 09, 2008 12:16 am
Posts: 8710
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Ozymandius rolls Deceit +8 vs Empathy +2.
"Hold your fire!" The shrill voice of the apparent leader screams out to his fellow creatures, bidding them to stop the attack. "The leader of our tribe told us that Winter could be found here, and that they would have something on their person he requires. Are you sure you're not Winter?"

Top 
   
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
 
Post new topic  Reply to topic  [ 80 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

 
 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: