Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Thu Oct 18, 2012 2:35 am 
"Thank you very much, ma'am." Cloverleaf leans Twig against the wall for the moment in order to work the latch, then picks the staff up again and takes both staves into the copy room with him. He tries to look as alert and helpful as an elf with a staff in each hand can look.

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 1:03 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
All four of them seem to notice this, but none of them comments directly. Sister Shepherd waves Cloverleaf towards a window seat, then says "I can think of a few reasons why someone might call themselves 'the green'; so why don't we start with who or what this Lynden is, and why you're looking for him? If that's not a secret, of course."

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:05 am 
"Oh, there's no secret about it. Some time ago, this staff here -" Cloverleaf holds up Twig - "was stolen from a Lynden the Green, and ended up being sold to the general store. The owners fled after we'd traced your missing wine barrels to their cellar, and we found Twig here in the shop afterwards. The records suggest that they'd been buying a lot of stolen goods, but Twig was the only item able to tell us his owner's name; so I'm looking for Lynden the Green in order to return his staff."

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:10 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"Twig, hmm? Pleased to meet you. So, Lynden is a mage. That suggests the Guild is a good place to ask, but we don't have a chapter, do we? So, let's see...for a mage to pick up a nickname like that, there's usually a story behind it. Do you happen to know what it is? I do love stories, and they can help me think."

Post Posted: Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:37 am 
"Twig," asks Cloverleaf, "would you like to tell us how your owner came by his name? Assuming it's not a secret, of course."

Post Posted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:54 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
"Secret? No. But indiscreet." After a second, Twig continues "But under the circumstances...Lynden made a bet concerning the intelligence of imperial governors, and to settle it sold a neighboring governor some shares..."

Sister Shepherd barks out a laugh. "The mustard mine!"

Twig hesitates, then replies "I knew it was too much to hope that that was kept quiet. Yes, shares in a mustard mine. The 'green', well, hiding in a wagon load of aging spinach is a little messy."

"Spinach? I had heard..."

"Spinach. And some cabbages."

"Right, right." Sister Shepherd shakes her head, and says "Well, he won't be in Newport, will he? Let me think." After a minute or so, she says "I think I had heard he was working as a battlemage. If so, the garrison over in Stonewich might be a good place to start."

Post Posted: Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:35 am 
"Stonewich? Excellent, that's quite close. I'll have to talk this over with the others before coming to a final decision, but I don't see any immediate reason not to travel in that direction, at least for the moment."

Post Posted: Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:06 am 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
She nods. "Well, I wish the two of you good luck. Even if Lynden's not there, the other battle mages may be able to help." She considers for a second, then adds "And if I may: it might be wiser to walk with only one staff in your hands. But of course,. that's up to you and Twig."

Post Posted: Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:14 am 
"Yes, it is easier to keep one hand free." says Cloverleaf. "Putting my other staff in my pack -" he slides it in under the flap, so it extends out on both sides - "is probably better cross-country, but leads to some problems with doorways." He considers the possibilities for a moment, and then says "Actually, thinking about it, it might be easiest to just throw it in the river. Then I won't need to bother about carrying it around, and when I do need it, it'll turn up."

Post Posted: Sun Nov 04, 2012 11:47 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
The monks all glance at each other. Finally, one of the other scribes says "That must be an interesting enchantment; the river flows the wrong way."

Post Posted: Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 am 
"Oh, it's not an enhantment. Have you never noticed how, if you leave something somewhere where you can't get it back, it always turns up when you really need it?" Cloverleaf asks, rhetorically. "Thanks for the help, I really do appreciate it."

With a farewell wave, he heads down (still carrying both staffs) to the courtyard to wait for Teddy and Kinzie.

Post Posted: Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:20 pm 
Moderator of DOOM!
Moderator of DOOM!
He makes it to the courtyard without problem. About an hour later the various monks who had gone to visit the shop come back, leading a wagon full of various goods to be repatriated (or simply sold against various fines). There's a familiar looking troll and human with them, apparently looking forward to getting paid.

Post Posted: Thu Nov 08, 2012 2:01 pm 
"Hey, Kinzie, Teddy!" Cloverleaf waves enthusiastically, and then picks up both staffs and hurries forward. "It seems that Lynden the Green took up work as a battlemage some time back, trying to escape a sort of political dispute. There's a good chance that we can find him if we go and ask at the garrison in Stonewich. That's not far."

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG