Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:42 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Hello, all! Any who played Invasion! may know that I'm planning on running a full game based on the concept. I wanted to get a feel for who's in. I have a rough outline of the story, and will delve into tweaking it to bits if there's serious interest. Since this is an adventure game, I can get away with fewer players (though I'm still stunned at how well my Invasion! players did with just six people! You guys were awesome!)

The situation: You are a human, modified by the nonterrestrials. Why did the alien race modify you to the extent that they did? Was it to fulfill their own scientific needs? For their own amusement? Out of hubris, underestimating humanity's threat to them? The reasons are unclear (for now -- I totally know the answer ;) What you do know is that you are slowly developing powers that you never had before. And you are now with a group of aliens who claim to be humanity-sympathizers -- and they're telling you the only way to save your people is with revolution. But can you trust them any more than you can trust the antagonistic nonterrestrials?

Much like Ruan's current game The Well, this is more a game of using what you are given to win the game rather than building traits and stats for character creation. Everyone will start with base abilities -- heightened senses, telepathy with other Marked (i.e. modified humans). As the game progesses, each person will be randomly assigned an ability that I will PM to the player. Your task is to figure out how to use that ability to your and your team's advantage. Whether you share your ability to the team is up to you.

But be warned if you wish to remain silent about your powers! This is also a game of duplicity. You are fighting a race of aliens that have the ability to Control (i.e. use you as a puppet) humans under the right conditions. Yes, sometimes your team will have the ability to Protect (i.e. bring a Controlled member back to their own minds) players, but suspicion between the players may happen if trust is compromised. A combination of trust and caution is key to winning the game.

Other game-play notes: I'll be using a die for sure during battles to determine outcomes. Your character's personality and how they arrived with the Humanity Society is all up to you, of course. But typically there are three types of humans floating in the space stations above Earth:

Humans who have "won" the werewolf game with the nonterrestrials, and were picked up covertly by the Humanity Society

Humans who "lost" the werewolf game, but were rescued in the nick of time from purging by the Humanity Society

Humans who were "Controlled" by the nonterrestrials and brought on board the stations for their own amusement.

So, any takers?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:16 am 
AOL: [email protected]
Richard Roberts wrote:
YOU WILL ALL EMBRACE THE WILL OF THE MASTERS!

Of course I'm in.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 1:56 pm 
...I'm in. As Cecil, if at all possible.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:00 pm 
Oh, right. If you're an Invasion player, you are welcome to play as your old character.

Well, if you survived anyway. (In other words, chaosman, if you want to play you'll have to make a new character. *ahem* The only casualty of the game has a certain ring to it, yes?)

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 3:37 pm 
Oh Happy Day! And I just bought the Halo: Reach soundtrack as well.

Jason Dubois is back and There Will, Be BLOOD TONIGHT!

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:14 pm 
Three! Three! Enough to begin a game! AHAhahahaha! Excellent. *twiddles fingers*

Okay, then. This weekend I have things going on, out of town visitors, etc. And I want a little time to do some tweekage. So, I will begin promptly on the 18th, Saturday -o- clock.

Any and all are welcome to join in the interim. Due to the nature of the game, however, I will be closing the doors on new arrivals fairly soon into the game.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:43 pm 
Will Cecil start with the gun (loaded with five bullets) that he had at the end of the last game? You never know, it might be a useful tool...

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 4:51 pm 
Hmm, let me consider it. I'll give you a yay or nay before the game begins, depending on how things work out on my end.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 10:37 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Think I may join as well, if allowable. Still debating what to do with my character though.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:06 pm 
It's not really a big deal if it gets taken away from him; I'd just prefer it taken away on-screen if so. Continuity is important, after all.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:09 pm 
Oh, sure, that's fine. I was more thinking of whether it can be used as a weapon.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:07 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
I am absolutely in!

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:35 am 
You might want to think about what Jason has got on him as well WW. Close as I recall, he was beamed up with a full pack and all his gear, including his pistol , rifle and a satchel of grenades. I can think of a few ways he might have lost all of it, or used it, probably in the process of escaping, but still...

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:23 pm 
Ah, yes, the bag o weapons. I can see that as pretty important, if you wanted to use it as your "escape method" from being Controlled by the baddies.

*Mulls over*

Okay, these are the rules of weaponry in Invasion.

All non-civilian nonterrestrials and Controlled are protected by shields, both mental and physical. They come in threes:

Each section of the various starships and stations has a "server" that controls shields that protect against physical attacks. Yes, multiple servers. This ain't no Independence Day aliens. If the server is taken out, the aliens on that section can be attacked with projectiles, explosions, etc.

Each unit stationed on each section has two nonterrestrials that specialize in shielding against mental attacks, one for physical mental attacks and one for pure mental attacks. Take either of these aliens out, and their type of mental attack is now open.

Example of physical mental attack: you're telekenetic, and you want to lift an alien

Example of pure mental attack: you're trying to Control an alien so they will gladly do your bidding.

In other words, physical has a direct affect on the body, pure has a direct effect on the brain. When powers are assigned, I'll let you know if your power is pure or physical.

So yes, I will allow for the weapons beamed with you. Though I imagine, balthzy, the aliens probably took your stock away when they beamed you up. I'll leave it up to you to decide if you stole it back or not.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:24 pm 
The way I figure, They never got the chance to disarm him. Jason was in deep in the throes of a particularly violent Berserker rage and was no longer controlled when he was beamed up. Normally this wouldn't be a problem for the ETs on the ship, they'd just lay a smackdown on him like the willowy man did. But Mr. willowy man was a bit flustered after Jason got so close to him, and forgot to mention it to his compatriots on board. So what the civilian researchers were expecting was something like more or less this. What they got was more or less this. Maybe a lucky hand grenade took out the shielding server, or maybe it was only civilians in the labs, but by the time security personnel showed up, and organized to attack and contain him, Jason was gone. Vanished into the bowls of the station, leaving behind only death. An entire R&D section in ruins. And that is how Jason ended up free and uncontrolled.

Maybe he used up all his stock in the escape, or maybe he ran dry later, busting other controlled out of the labs.(Hint, hint.)

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG