Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ] 

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:50 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Location: Praise be to the sticky elastic bands of the Healing Gauze
Conflict has started. Rolling initiative.

Infected Four: +6
Stan Cold: +5
Felix (Allied NPC): +5
Red Court Vampire: +5
Infected Three: +2
balthazar: 0
Infected One: 0
Infected Two: 0
Infected Five: 0
Ruan: -1
CCC: -2

This is the order all participants will moving in for the upcoming battle. Alertness determines initiative and most of you all have pretty low alertness. Move as you see fit and I'll slot things into place accordingly.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:52 am 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Roger.

CCC - What is it with you, bottles of rum, and lighting monsters on fire? At least this time it'll be outside, so you don't burn the place down.

---

Essentially, should any of the other PCs or NPCs either give a foe an aspect (or better yet, a consequence) for him to tag by the time it gets to his turn, he'll use that to do as much damage as possible with an inhumanly strong punch.

Last edited by Ruan on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:02 am 
Hey, it's a simple means of attack, it's absolutely devastating, and it works.

Though Charles is a lot less insane than the Professor was. He'll treat it a little differently.

Incidentally, what happens to someone who attacks in Neutral Territory?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:09 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
If you're a member of a nation that's signed on to the Accords? Best case scenario you get executed by your own people. If you aren't, then no one will really care.

These guys are members of the Red Court, technically speaking, so they can't cause trouble inside without getting their heads lopped off by their own nation. All of the PC's except for Ozymandius can start a fight inside the Snuggly Duckling without consequence, assuming they don't mind getting arrested by mortal authorities and spending a night in jail.

Last edited by Kajin on Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 2:40 am 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Kind of miss Prof. Jones. There's just something about mad scientists that makes the GM in me smile.

---

The Unseelie Accords are draconian, and 'ignorance of the law' is no excuse. The whole point of the Unseelie Accords was to prevent large scale conflicts between supernatural factions by either reducing them to small scale conflicts (duels) or tying them up in so much legalese that by the time everything gets settled, things have died down. Major factions are more or less forced to police their own. The key thing to realize here is that flouting the Unseelie Accords by doing something so stupid as attacking inside of Neutral Territory would bring immense pressure on that faction to make that idiot's head roll, else there's the threat of outright warfare between supernatural factions... which gets really really nasty, really really fast. An attack on Neutral Territory would likely be one of the worst ways to break the Accords, as that's not just an issue between two factions, but potentially an issue of all signatories of the Accords. A sign saying "Accorded Neutral Territory" should have a subtitle of "Don't Fight Here, Or Else You Will Die A Horrible, Horrible Death". Of course, the bad part of the Unseelie Accords is there's no concept of the human idea of morality in them. It's purely the letter, not the spirit of the law. Which means that while attacking someone just outside of Neutral Territory means absolutely nothing. Oh, sure, it's a little risky, as the fight -could- go into Neutral Territory, but technically barring that, they aren't in Neutral Territory... and with the Unseelie Accords, it's nothing but the technicalities.

Spoiler Alert! wrote:
...frankly, had it not been for the animosity between the Red Court and the White Council prior to Dresden triggering the war, and had not Dresden had the support he had from enough Senior Council members (and being the poster-boy for the younger, more progressive faction - think Anakin prior to becoming Darth Vader to the Jedi), that's precisely what would have happened to him. The White Council very nearly bought off the Reds by essentially handing Dresden over to them as they requested, as by Unseelie Court standards, the Reds had a perfect reason for going to war with the White Council. The fact that Dresden was forced into a Catch-22 decision (save Susan, break the Accords, and cause a war, or let Susan become a Red Court Vampire, which he would not allow to happen) didn't matter one whit. He'd broken the Unseelie Accords, which gave the Red Court the just cause needed to trigger the war. Of course, as Ortega himself noted, the Reds weren't -quite- ready to go on a war footing yet - he felt that they needed more time to prepare to kill the White Council, which is why they tried to buy a bit more time between various peace talks, trying to get Dresden, and arranging the duel. Had Dresden not triggered the war early... well. The Reds pulled some very nasty surprises in the war, and came pretty darn close to crippling the White Council's power. Imagine if they'd had just a few more years to establish themselves...

Of course, the whole cause of the war puts a rather interesting perspective on the cause of the end of the war...

---

Anyway. As Kajin noted, Oz is obliged to follow the Accords, as his faction - the White Court of vampires - are one of the factions that signed it. To stay on the safe side, so to speak, Oz is waiting for the enemy to try and strike at any of the other people who came from inside the Snuggly Duckling. The guy they're after doesn't count, as from their comments, he's an 'internal concern' in their faction, which leaves him no reason to interfere - heck, if it wasn't for the other PCs, he -wouldn't- interfere and would simply watch in mild curiosity. Once they strike at anyone aside from the man, it no longer becomes an internal faction matter and becomes something he can justify taking a hand in. By doing so, he gets to possibly weaken the Red Court here in the city, with the added bonus of being able to say he felt they were being a threat to Neutral Territory by fighting so close to the threshold of its' premises if someone tries to call him on it.

---

...thinking like a White Court vamp makes my head hurt. Bloody politics.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:53 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Waiting on Stan to post for his character, then we'll get the first round underway.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:36 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Are you guys fine with the color blue or should I switch to something else?

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:28 pm 
Blue works fine by me. I seem to have trademarked dark green, so you're not infringing on my GMness at all.

Post Posted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:15 pm 
Attempting to place the aspect "Covered in Rum". Going to tag that next round to try to intimidate Vampire into leaving.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:15 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
How are you guys liking the way your characters are handling so far? This campaign is a rather short one, consisting of three different scenarios. The end of this fight will wrap up the first scenario. There will be two more after it. At the end of each scenario I'll give you all a chance to change your characters if there's something about them that isn't to your liking.

You'll get your first Refresh point at the end of the third scenario when this campaign comes to an end. That will also be your last chance to change anything about your character you might not like. After that your characters will all be locked into place and you'll only be able to make changes within the limits of the different Milestones listed in the Your World book of the DFRPG.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:29 am 
I'm cool. my only question is if you are using the Weapons skill as both offensive and defensive, or just offensive?

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:42 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
It comes down to whichever has the highest base. Athletics is the default go to skill for defense, but if Fists is higher you could use that to defend. If Weapons is higher and you're holding a weapon you could use it to defend, instead. Since you weren't holding your weapon, I rolled Athletics. Now that you have your Weapon drawn I'll be using it instead.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:49 am 
Sweet. In that case, I don't think I'll be changing my character anytime soon.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:59 pm 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
I want to try and get in at least one round a day on weekdays. Forum games are slow by there very nature and if things go too slow people lose interest. If it's alright with you guys I'd like to try and post the next round of conflict about an hour or two before the comic updates each night.

Post Posted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:12 am 
Gatekeeper of Niftiness
Neil took a full round round defensive action for that particular exchange, not that he needed it since no one attacked him. Conflict is over, unless any of you wants to give chase.

Post new topic  This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 136 posts ] 

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG