Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:13 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
One of the interpretations of the Hanged Man is 'contemplation' - a man, hanging upside down from a Tau cross from his foot, contemplating the relationship between the divine and the worldly.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:51 am 
Okay then, for Enver's three powers I'm thinking All Languages; Animal Languages; and True Speech (knowing the true name of nitrogen).

He knows all those other languages, partially due to lots of experience, but mainly because they're all, in some way, lesser reflections of True Speech.

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:49 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Okay. For The Hanged Man, I'm definitely going to go with the blood being spilled = power activated thing. I am now trying to consider just what that IS. I like the idea of lethargy (for submission), but I think it's a very "quiet" effect when the Lady will essentially have to cut herself or be harmed to activate her power. I also like the idea of making people puppets until I release them, though I'm not quite sure what to do with that, and it's an awfully STRONG power to have.

And contemplation...hmmm.

Being between the divine and the worldly. I'd like to work that in, but I'll have to think about how.

Maybe a shield? A shield to protect people from the harm of the world and thus keeping them from the divine (or death)?

Post Posted: Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Well, the oracles in Delphi were a link between the divine and the worldly, but that may not fit. As for the blood power, it could also make anyone who shed your blood apathetic about continuing. Sort of a defense through apathy. : )

As for the Kid's powers:

Moon: Nightmare powers.
Star: Intuitive flashes.
Hermit: Mind shield.

I like all of those.

Post Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2011 4:59 am 
Incidentally, "buy a donkey" is a very close phonetic approximation to the Afrikaans phrase "baie dankie", or "many thanks". It's not as completely random as it appears at first glance.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:38 am 
Umm, Stocky is short. :) I modeled him off one of my old dwarf characters from D&D, the same one I use for my username.

Post Posted: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:17 am 
WLM: [email protected]
Okay, I've decided:

The Fool -- Teleportation

The Lovers -- Seduction/temptation. In more than just sexy ways -- the ability to tempt with deepest, darkest dreams and such. Kind of a peid piper thing. A glamour, because I'm pretty sure the Lady can't actually GRANT the dreams or that any seduction will come to fruition for the seduced. Just convince the other party that things will happen if they follow her and listen to her.

The Hanged Man -- The Lady's blood spilled (sacrifice) can create a shield of protection (though I'm not sure how to apply it to the party). Protection from the worldy (injury) and the divine (death).

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:47 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
My desired powers for Ginger:

Mystical Vision: Ginger has a "sixth sense," an intuition that helps her to discover hidden items, understand the workings of unknown devices, learn where the party should go, and perhaps even see small glimpses of the future. It can come by her focusing her mind on the object or topic upon which she wishes to gain knowledge, or it may come without conscious intent as a result of her heightened awareness.

Mental Manipulation: Ginger can manipulate the minds of others. Depending on the strength of her powers and the target's mind, she may plant subtle suggestions, cause hallucinations, or even dominate the mind of another, causing them to say or do as she desires. It is not unlike how Obi-Wan Kenobi is portrayed using the force in A New Hope. "These are not the droids you're looking for."

Influence of Earthly Forces: Ginger can harness natural forces and direct them: e.g. change the path of running water, turn the direction of wind, redirect a lightning bolt, and even alter gravitational force within a small area.

EDIT: Fixed typo.

Last edited by AlternateTorg on Tue Jul 05, 2011 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:54 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
The Emperor: The ability to command through names.

Wheel of Fortune: Precognition of up to two minutes. Like Next, if it wasn't such a terrible movie.

Temperance: Incredible feats of balance.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:22 am 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
See, when someone says 'Stocky' to me, I think big burly lineman, or the Heavy, not dwarf.

Some general comments...

Generally, any sort of mental ability affecting someone else becomes stronger through touch. Alternatively, you can utilize a true name, or use a sympathetic link - blood, hair, ect. - to better work against your target from a distance.

Stan Cold wrote:
The Emperor: The ability to command through names.

Wheel of Fortune: Precognition of up to two minutes. Like Next, if it wasn't such a terrible movie.

Temperance: Incredible feats of balance.

Command through names - you need to know the full name from whoever you wish, using their tones/inflections of how -they- say it, to have full control. Otherwise, part of a name or a nickname is only going to (maybe) put a slight compulsion on them. The closer to their 'true name', the stronger the compulsion.

Short-sight precog can work. Just don't expect it to be as ridiculously powerful as Next where you can retcon everything as it being part of a vision. This is GM giving you some foresight, plus the ability to predict your enemy in combat to an extent.

Feats of balance... what are we talking here, being able to jog down a rope across two buildings in a thunderstorm? Acrobatics?

--

AlternateTorg wrote:
My desired powers for Ginger:

Mystical Vision: Ginger has a "sixth sense," an intuition that helps her to discover hidden items, understand the workings of unknown devices, learn where the party should go, and perhaps even see small glimpses of the future. It can come by her focusing her mind on the object or topic upon which she wishes to gain knowledge, or it may come without conscious intent as a result of her heightened awareness.

Mental Manipulation: Ginger can manipulate the minds of others. Depending on the strength of her powers and the target's mind, she may plant subtle suggestions, cause hallucinations, or even dominate the mind of another, causing them to say or do as she desires. It is not unlike how Obi-Wan Kenobi is portrayed using the force in A New Hope. "These are not the droids you're looking for."

Influence of Earthly of Forces: Ginger can harness natural forces and direct them: e.g. change the path of running water, turn the direction of wind, redirect a lightning bolt, and even alter gravitational force within a small area.

Alright, mystic vision works.

Mental manipulation - the subtler the suggestion, the more likely it will work. The stronger it is, the more against your target's core values, the harder it becomes. As noted before, touch helps - preferably skin to skin.

Influence of elements works. Really, when it all comes down to it that's what evocation magic is, actually - if you're going Dresden Files style, it's taking energy (usually of a particular element) and bending it to your purpose. Obviously, the more energy you move/shift, the more tired you get. That style of power tends to take a physical toll when it comes to stronger effects.

weatherwax wrote:
Okay, I've decided:

The Fool -- Teleportation

The Lovers -- Seduction/temptation. In more than just sexy ways -- the ability to tempt with deepest, darkest dreams and such. Kind of a peid piper thing. A glamour, because I'm pretty sure the Lady can't actually GRANT the dreams or that any seduction will come to fruition for the seduced. Just convince the other party that things will happen if they follow her and listen to her.

The Hanged Man -- The Lady's blood spilled (sacrifice) can create a shield of protection (though I'm not sure how to apply it to the party). Protection from the worldy (injury) and the divine (death).

Teleportation - as noted before, you're restricted to a) Line of Sight or b) know the other target place really well.

Glamour then, essentially. All promise and no delivery. Can work with that. As noted with other mental powers, touch helps.

To protect the party, her blood would need to be painted onto the other party members. More than likely in some sort of sigil or rune.

---

Dom/SlimKop wrote:
Well, the oracles in Delphi were a link between the divine and the worldly, but that may not fit. As for the blood power, it could also make anyone who shed your blood apathetic about continuing. Sort of a defense through apathy. : )

As for the Kid's powers:

Moon: Nightmare powers.
Star: Intuitive flashes.
Hermit: Mind shield.

I like all of those.

All three work. Intuitive flash will probably be better for leaping logic/quick analysis as opposed to more foresight-ish intuition. Mind shield will require touch to extend to other party members, though that said it can be channeled from person to person, so it could be Kid->Member->Member and still get protection. Nightmare powers can work fine as you planned.

CCC wrote:
Okay then, for Enver's three powers I'm thinking All Languages; Animal Languages; and True Speech (knowing the true name of nitrogen).

He knows all those other languages, partially due to lots of experience, but mainly because they're all, in some way, lesser reflections of True Speech.

So comprehends/speaks all languages, can speak to animals (keep in mind that animal speech is limited to the intelligence of said animal), and true speech (i.e, the knowing of true names). That said, why nitrogen?

---

Have I missed anyone?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 6:41 am 
Ruan wrote:
CCC wrote:

So comprehends/speaks all languages, can speak to animals (keep in mind that animal speech is limited to the intelligence of said animal), and true speech (i.e, the knowing of true names). That said, why nitrogen?

Because it's everywhere. There's about four times as much nitrogen as there is oxygen in the atmosphere.

I considered options like granite, water, and so on - all of which have their advantages - but I decided in the end to go with something omnipresent and (usually) gaseous.

For Ginger's mental manipulation, can the target willingly allow her to do what she wants? I'm thinking in a telepathic-communication sort of way - if she can make hallucinations, then she can make a willing target hallucinate that they are hearing her voice say something, right?

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 11:13 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
I would think so, but I imagine that hallucination would be most useful in situations where the target doesn't know I'm there. For example, making a guard hear a sound to cause them to go investigate.

Post Posted: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:48 pm 
Allow me to rephrase the question - what are you planning to do with the true name of nitrogen? I.e, what uses?

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:47 am 
Mainly, I'm planning to see what comes in useful.

I'm thinking vaguely in terms of ordering it to form solid shapes (allowing me to walk on air, for example, or construct a transparent 'flying disc' to ride on) - they would have to be simple geometric shapes, because Enver doesn't know the Truespeech word for (say) 'spanner'. Telling all the nitrogen to vacate an area would accelerate combustion (by dramatically increasing the amount of oxygen in the area) - on the other hand, telling nitrogen to rush towards an area could put out fires. Both options would also be pretty deadly for any animals in the area; too much or too little oxygen can kill, but it can also be easily avoided by moving to another area.

I'll probably think of other uses later.

Post Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 12:09 pm 
AOL: [email protected]
Just general monkey stuff with Balance.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG