Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 12:43 am 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Ruan wrote:
Mystic vision would be possible. It could also double as a form of foresight, which as GM could allow me to feed you tidbits of information.

I like the sound of that.

Quote:
Blinding - Almost too narrow. If you're going to do something with darkness, think bigger.

Agreed. Perhaps it could be more figurative, such as darkening the minds of enemies so that they lose the ability to spellcast.

Quote:
Learning/Teaching powers - probably not. You guys will be getting more powers as the story goes on. If everyone has the same powers, then it loses the flavor.

I agree.

Quote:
Syphoning - Rather nasty thing to do to an ally. That sort of thing hurts. Wouldn't suggest it unless you wanted to antagonize the rest of the party.

I would think of it as a sort of "limit break" or desperation move. For example, Stocky is stronger than other members of the party. In dire straits, Ginger could Siphon energy from him, leaving him weak but not dead, in order to supercharge one of her own powers, or perhaps one belonging to another party member. But I agree that it probably isn't so great.

Quote:
Hallucinations/dominating - better than the blinding idea. Keep in mind that effects that work directly against an enemy I will be rolling the equivalent to a will save against the effect. Harness nature - probably only medium effects right now. If it's windy, you can control the wind. If it's storming, you might direct the lightning. 'Harness', not 'control'.

Sounds good.

Quote:
Recruit Animals - animal speech might work better - then you could just simply convince the animals to help the party.

I agree.

Quote:
If players pool together powers in game, it'd probably be possible something like that may happen, but at the same time the effect would be uncertain. Also, there's not really a need for the ability to resurrect when you're just going to get spat right back out of the void anyway.

True, resurrection sounds good on paper but is kind of useless when death is a slap on the wrist. It just seemed so attractive since the themes of victory and the cycle of life and death seemed to be so prominent.

I feel that Mystical Vision works best for The Priestess, and Hallucinate/Dominate is good for The Hierophant (although useless if our antagonist hasn't got consciousness). I'm the two ideas I've had for The World are less enticing. Harnessing weather or talking to animals wouldn't be helpful if I were indoors, or if useful weather/animals weren't about. It feels too narrow, but I don't know what else to do with it yet.

I'm going to be without Internet access from Monday until Saturday afternoon. As The Lady seems to be the individual she has been associating with the most, Ginger will stick close to her and follow any reasonable instructions she gives. Her current goals are to 1) avoid dying again, 2) save face with her companions for her blunder back in Disco Inferno, and 3) learn more about their current location.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:02 am 
Stan Cold wrote:
Hmm... I'm having trouble with the Fulfillment and Hierarchy, but Destiny could be limited sight into the future. Stability could be raising my power to that of a stronger opponent, or lowering his to mine, or meeting somewhere in between.

Just a thought for Destiny, but I think a cool use of that would be a reset button type power. Say where something bad happens, you get the opportunity to back up a certain amount of time and replay it. This would be limited to yourself and maybe only a few seconds at first, but as you grow in power you get more time and maybe able to reset other people.

Edit:
For Hierarchy, maybe an ability to command obedience. Kinda like the old Power Word: Command from D&D. Power increments would increase the number affected as well as the length of the command you could give (e.g. single words at first to detailed instructions at extremes).

Post Posted: Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:18 am 
Warbeard wrote:
Stan Cold wrote:
Hmm... I'm having trouble with the Fulfillment and Hierarchy, but Destiny could be limited sight into the future. Stability could be raising my power to that of a stronger opponent, or lowering his to mine, or meeting somewhere in between.

Just a thought for Destiny, but I think a cool use of that would be a reset button type power. Say where something bad happens, you get the opportunity to back up a certain amount of time and replay it. This would be limited to yourself and maybe only a few seconds at first, but as you grow in power you get more time and maybe able to reset other people.

Or, as an alternative, the ability to create someone's destiny. That is, the ability to place an event in their future.

As an example; you can make it someone's destiny to win the lottery. They go out and buy a ticket; they've got a good chance of winning. But they won't necessarily win, because you can't decide when that destined event happens; maybe they only win the lottery ten years in the future. (Or even which lottery). As your power increases, you get to be more and more specific about times. Or maybe you could simply decree how someone is destined to die. (Just beware of the odd person who defies his own destiny; or who uses it, like a man destined to die by poisoning who doesn't eat or drink anything that's not thoroughly inspected first).

weatherwax wrote:
CCC wrote:
Some kind of inability to be bound or imprisoned? Some way to pass through walls, ropes, handcuffs, any obstacles?

Oooh, good ones.

I was also thinking, in lieu of this info:

"both the beginning and the end, neither and otherwise, betwixt and between, liminal."

Maybe something with teleportation?

Teleportation would be an excellent way to be unable to be bound or imprisoned.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 11:22 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Super awesome Ruan. I'm stoked! Now to catch up.

The Kid

Quote:
The Moon

Imagination apart from spirit. The subconscious mind. Fantasy and dark illusion. INSTABILITY

I have the feeling that the Kid is really broken. Perhaps nightmare powers of some kind. His subconscious becoming manifest. Edit: My second thought from reading the wiki page is a lycathrope power of some kind.

Quote:
The Star (I find it very amusing that it was the Kid who got this Arcana, considering what he carries...)

Renovation and new possibilities. Intuition that shows us the way. Brilliant perspectives. HOPE

Very appropriate, indeed. My first thought was some sort of intuition powers. Basically a hint system, or a flash of insight about a person, place or thing. Edit: My second thought on this one is some sort of peace or sanctity field he could generate, or emotion projection.

Quote:
The Hermit

The sage, the holder of secrets. Material austerity, but inner wealth. Prudence, precaution, advice, meditation. WISDOM and SOLITUDE

This I see as sort of a protective power. The ability to close off one's mind and be safe from mental pressure, from pain, from loneliness, etc.

I need to read some of your guys ideas as well as the main game thread!

Edit: It seems that AlternateTorg and I have some of the same ideas for powers.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:33 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Heck, if you really wanted to go to foresight with The Star card, there's always astrology.

A shapeshifting power would be allowable, although one type of animal shift allowed (at least right now).

The subconscious becoming manifest would probably be rather creepy if you gave me something like that to play around with. Odds are if you decided on that you wouldn't have complete control over your subconscious...

Or heck, if you wanted to combine both, you could be like the Dreamer.

Hermit idea works as well - a sort of mental sanctuary. I could see him also possible extending this to other people via touch.

--

Ability to create someone's destiny... eh. For all intents and purposes, probably wouldn't work all that well in the game. Though the ability to step outside of destiny...

Teleportation would be handy, but keep in mind that teleportation can have its' risks... it wouldn't be the nice, 'oh hey I can teleport and never worry about teleporting INTO something' teleportation. You need to see/know exactly where you're going.

Power Word-esque powers delve into a branch of naming, which is where CCC was thinking of going. The main difference is where if you know someone's true name and command them to do something, there's not much they can do about it. A power word style command spell gives the target a chance to resist.

The rewind idea for a power is interesting, but I'm not sure how it'd play out on these forums.

---

Heh. Just had a fun thought. Imagine if looking into the future was like Shrodinger's box. By looking into the future, you fix what is going to happen in the future, and can't change it.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:39 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Ruan wrote:
Heh. Just had a fun thought. Imagine if looking into the future was like Shrodinger's box. By looking into the future, you fix what is going to happen in the future, and can't change it.

I think I read a fantasy book where that was how it worked.

Astrology may be cool. The subconscious thing, you're picking up what I'm putting down all right. It could either be something from the Kid's obviously messed up pasts, or something where he picks up the fears of others and makes them manifest. Either way, I'm sure he spends a lot of time in his Hermit happy place.

Edit: Oh man, Ruan. That link is awesome. That is a such a cool idea. A personal nightmare protector . . .

Post Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2011 8:24 pm 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
I really, reaaaally wish I could've picked up the larger limited edition model from Gen-Con. I don't even play as that faction (I play Outcast mercenaries), but I just wanted to get the model to paint and put together. I'm hoping they'll have it at Gen-Con this year...

Gah. I need to stop looking at Malifaux stuff. Great models for the sick and twisted mind (such as mine). Like Teddy!

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:03 am 
I think I know what I want Cecil's INTELLIGENCE ability to be; I want him to be able to speak all (mundane) languages.

Well, to understand them all at least - if they come across the Squid People who communicate in a system of gestures that the human body cannot mimic, then even when Cecil knows how to speak to them, he can't due to physical limitations.

Would that be an acceptable ability?

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:57 am 
Hmm, it looks like it might become important to actually use some powers soon, so how're we going to go about that if they're still undefined?

I'm figuring if the squirrels get aggressive, Stocky might attempt to scare them off by simply creating a small ball of fire in his hand (using my previously mentioned idea for "The Sun" card powers.) If they don't scare easily though, he may need to do more than that, so I guess it depends on what the limits will be at this point.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:06 am 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
I was thinking to use CCC's talking powers. Though animals might be beyond the scope of the power.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:12 pm 
Speaking/comprehending languages would be one power, speaking to animals a different power.

Also, in case you are wondering, I hate squirrels. They actually do this sort of thing to me.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:19 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Squirrels are teh evilz.

A bit of feedback on my powers if you will:

The Fool

Going with teleportation with this.

The Lovers

Going with temptation/seduction/choices, even if the seduction is "false" and it isn't necessarily attraction to ME. For instance, perhaps I can convince people that I can give them whatever they want, in their heart of hearts?

The Hanged Man

I'm STILL trying to think of something that will equal self-sacrifice. Any imput would be nice.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:58 pm 
weatherwax wrote:
The Hanged Man

I'm STILL trying to think of something that will equal self-sacrifice. Any imput would be nice.

Blood magic. Magic fueled by your life force, and accessed through your blood. The more you spill, the more powerful the effect.

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 6:26 pm 
The hanged man's kinda tough:
Denial: The lady can essentially create a barrier against things, denying those things the ability to be in/or enter her area of influence (say a sphere of a certain distance from her person. E.g circle of protection.) If it were to target a living thing that actually entered this range, the creature would take damage until it disintegrated or left the area. (Could be really nasty twinned with a seduction ability.)

Or, another denial, but also including sacrifice:
The Lady can prevent an opponent from doing specific actions (which would need to be named) this prohibition would continue until she either release the target (consciously or by choosing another target) or if she performed a similar action.
So She could keep someone from moving so long as she remains still, etc. Her number of targets would increase as her power grows, etc.

To take it more literally, she could have a power that acts like/generates ropes to tie opponents up. Think Pinhead's chains from the Hell Raiser movies, but not piercing. These ropes would come in from out of nowhere and wrap up a target. (If she gets lucky and hits/targets the head she could literally hang her target.)

Post Posted: Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:15 pm 
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Stealth Mod of DOOM!
Or possibly some sort of Apathy power. Making people lethargic, working with the surrendering/passive aspect of the sign.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG