Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:41 am 
WLM: [email protected]
You are awake. One moment, your eyes were closed, and darkness filled your mind. Now your eyes are open, flooded with light and memory: the test, the creatures that the g-men called nonterrestrials, your own story of the game, and then a woman -- who is not a woman -- and then darkness.

You sit up, finding that you are on a bed. Or at least, it seems bedlike. More of a pod, really, a padded pod. You look around the room your pod is in: 10' by 10', bright white, a shower unit against the far left wall, a table and a rounded chair on the opposite wall from the pod, a monitor built into the wall above the table. On the table is a pallet of some sort, flat, thin, about the size of a book. A rectangular cut in the wall is opposite the shower unit, and you suppose it is a door, though it has no handles. A small glass monitor, 5" by 5" and glowing green, is built in to the wall next to the door.

You look down and find that you are wearing...some kind of suit. It is comfortable, two pieces, a tight, white buttonless shirt that melds to your body without being uncomfortable, and black trousers that again meld to your body tightly. You are a little uncomfortable, because you have never been exposed like this, and somewhere in your mind you know you have to meet people in this suit.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:56 am 
AOL: [email protected]
Richard sits in bed for a moment. He seems a little nervous.
He gets up, lays on the ground and starts doing a few push-ups. He is not a strong man, but he feels it necessary to do at least ten. This doesn't seem normal in his situation.
He sits some more, then decides it best to take a shower. This isn't 'wake up in an alien spaceship' nervous.
He dries off and looks at his clothes. He attempts to find a normal suit and tie. He then settles on brushing invisible dust off the clothes he has. This is first date nervous.
"Hello?" he finally decides to ask the monitor next to the door, "Can you hear me? I'm up! I'm ready to see her!"

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:10 pm 
AOL: RuanalHallen
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
Tom sits up in his... bed? Pod? and runs a hand over hair. He takes a look around the room, then shrugs and stands up to examine the room, more particularly the monitor.

Post Posted: Sat Jun 18, 2011 12:59 pm 
Cecil doesn't move for a few seconds after awaking; not even to open his eyes. Keeping his breathing steady, as if still asleep, he carefully listens for any noises. Hearing nothing significant, he suddenly opens his eyes with a snort, as if only waking now. He blinks twice, yawns, sits up and prepares to face the day. First, an inventory. He checks his pockets (or is disappointed to find none), then looks for the pistol that he had been carrying.

Then he investigates the pallet.

Post Posted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 2:40 pm 
Jason startles into wakefulness with a sensation of falling. He pauses a moment, taking stock of his situation, before getting up. He does his usual exercises and stretches and then has a shower. Afterward, he sits down in the chair and focuses on reaching out with his mind, looking for any familiar presences that are nearby.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:40 am 
Jason's mind is inundated with sensation: the white room becomes a prism of color. The devices (monitors and pallet) give off waves of energy. He notices the water in the shower has a light, airy, pleasant scent. He cannot sense anything physical beyond his room, but the minds....

There are minds that glow, intensely, obviously human. There are minds that seem stifled, veiled, and what little seeps through the veil has a tang. A foreign flavor. Unlike before, the human minds do not immediately respond to his awakening. But he can feel them, and if he wishes, he can reach out to them.

Cecil has no pockets. And his weapon is nowhere on his person. He picks up the pallet, turns it in his hands, accidentally brushes a finger over the smooth, glasslike substance that makes up the screen. The screen lights up, bright fuschia. A white pinwheel appears in the center, swirling slowly until each leg of the pinwheel straightens into a graphic written in an unknown (to Cecil) language. The pink screen disappears, replaced with a smiling, cheerful planet earth on a black background. A jaunty text reads "CODEX!" below the earth.

Tom examines the monitor, staring at it for longer than 10 seconds. A small light scans his eyes, and the monitor blinks on. A creature, tall, thin, with a bulbous head, large, almond-shaped, shining black eyes, dark, forest green skin and a long, fuzzy, orange coat that covers it from neck to feet and both arms appears on screen. It does not speak, not vocally, and yet Tom can hear it in his mind:

"How can you say that to me? After so many cycles together? Did the joining mean nothing to you? Did our child's birth -- ?"

The screen cuts to another tall, lean, bulbous-headed creature, this one a carnation pink and wearing a similar suit to what Tom wore, though (and it seemed strange to Tom that he would notice this) much more dashing.

"Do not bring our child into this!" The pink creature says noiselessly, backing into a wall. "It is you who has deceived the unit! And YOU... (The words mangle for a moment in Tom's mind until it straightens out and is translated for him) who tore my heart from my chest!"

The door monitor glows blue, and a scanner flashes over him. Within his mind, Richard can hear, a clear, sunny voice:

"Controlled subject detected. Detention is required until subject is fully in command of his thoughts. Immediate action recommended."

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:49 am 
Location: What matter wounds? For each time he falls, he shall rise again and woe to the wicked!
"..."

Tom raises an eyebrow, but that's pretty much the only reaction he has to having what he can only assume is the alien equivalent of a soap opera's sound beamed directly into his brain. After a short moment of consideration, he closes his eyes for more than ten seconds. If that does not cease the transmission, he will then try mentally commanding the broadcast to stop. Even assuming that he does stop it, he simply turns it right back on by staring into it once again. He'll then try to figure out how to mute/unmute the sound transmission, then proceeds through his mental catalog of general remote commands, trying to pause, fast forward, rewind, ect. Briefly, he considers what he might call the device, before deciding that television would work fine. After all, it apparently works via both telepathy and vision. Once he figures out everything he can, he'll then start attempting to figure out how to change the channel until something actually worth watching comes up. Preferably some sort of news source.

Last edited by Ruan on Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:52 am 
Cecil jumps back as the screen begins to glow, dropping the pallet back onto the table. However, a moment's consideration; and the fact that the glow seems harmless; is enough for Cecil's curiosity to take the forefront again.

After a moment, the motion on the screen seems to stop.

Very, very carefully, without picking up the pallet, he reaches out and taps the picture of Planet Earth; nervously drawing his hand back after doing so.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:38 am 
Jason focuses inward in a now familiar ritual, drawing on the gift of the Willowy Woman from the Humanity Society, protecting himself from outside control. He then reaches out with his mind, throwing out a cry, a name, to the world beyond the walls of the room.

The name of a friend.

Cecil.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:45 am 
When Cecil touches the cheerful Earth, the screen of the Codex blinks, and a written message appears, in English. Cecil also hears a voice in his head, soothing and mirthful, with...a British accent. Or, at least Cecil's mind translates it so. The message reads:

Hello, new Companion! What an exciting time this must be for you, meeting new peoples whom until recently you did not know existed! Of course, all these new sights and smells and sensations must be confusing and maybe a little bit scary! No need to fear, for I, the Codex, was created to help you with your transition into your new, happy life!

When I am in your hands, and your eyes are on my screen, you need only direct a thought toward me (use the magic word "Codex" while thinking of me very hard before any request!) and you can search any a number of things within my archive!

Go on, give it a try!

The screen above Tom does not turn off after closing his eyes for ten seconds. When Tom opens his eyes and plays with it, the following happens:

Mentally commanding the broadcast to stop turns off the screen. Staring at the screen for ten seconds turns on the screen again. There is no mute/unmute option; the voices are simply transmitted in his mind. One thing he notices though: no music. None, not even as a "mood setter." And the acting is REALLY hammy. Ham n Cheese. Arms waving, the voices in his mind throwing around emotions like people painting rooms with paint cans. Thinking pause does pause the action, and rewind and fast forward work as well (though fast forward seems to stop after a certain point.) When he starts to think "change the channel," the screen starts to flip through "stations" faster and faster, until it hits a board of the aliens sitting at a rounded table. These aliens are all a silver color, and they are wearing drab versions of Tom's suit.

"Be available to test markets within the next cycle. Great be the Researcher," says one being to the far left.

"Yes, and may he live in peace, Laan," a mouthless being on the opposite side of the table says. "Now on to a darker note. Three dead and fourteen injured during the latest attack on the commerce district of Main Station. The Research Board has determined that it was an act of deliberate terrorism by the Outliers. The (mangled, then translation) manhunt continues for any and everyone who may have answers about this shadow organisation."

As Jason calls out, Cecil hears his name and the touch of the mind of his old neighbor.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:05 am 
"Jason?" asks Cecil, out loud. He looks around the room, but fails to spot Jason anywhere.

He picks up the Codex, looks at the screen, and thinks, very deliberately, Codex! Search for Jason.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:12 am 
As Tom listens to the broadcast, he heads over to the shower unit and begins figuring out how it works. Once he does, he'll use it, because whatever else happens, he might as well face it clean.

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:11 am 
Cecil still feels the presence of Jason's mind as the pleasant British voice fills his head:

Jason. Human name. Anglicized Greek. Common in French and English. English pronunciation: JAY-sən. Old definition: "to heal."

Searching connotation of term, "search for Jason."

It appears that you wish to find a particular human friend named Jason. Specifically, a friend aboard the fleet or Main Station. There are currently 17 male humans named Jason aboard the fleet. Perhaps if you can specify which Jason you are searching for, I can help you find him?

Tom steps near the shower. A green light scans him, and a voice (almost chidingly) says in his mind, "Please remove clothing if you wish to bathe."

he does so, carefully removing shirt and pants and thin socks (all of which slip off easily, though they cling to the skin), and steps into the shower. From top and two sides warm water hits him, along with a pleasant smelling soapy substance (reminiscent of lavender and clean, line-dried laundry -- but still foreign, still off from those actual scents). The soap recedes, and the water rinses him down as he scrubs. The water stops, there's a pause, and then air blasts him from all sides, wicking away the water from his body. When the air stops, he is dry but for his slightly damp hair.

While he was showering, the news discussion never retreated from his mind. After the report about the Outlier incident, the stories moved from the utilitarian ("Engineering teams are considering adding two new levels to Station Two in order to deal with overflow from the fleet. The Board is in discussions now to approve the move, which could lead to the mandatory relocation of hundreds of fleet members.") to the mundane ("What human flavor has been added to the mattermatic? They call it 'chicken,' and everything tastes like it!") to the fluffy ("the to scale model of System yellowsunredyellowblueredorangebrowny-yellowbluescatteredrocks (pause, re-translated as) the Sol System was created by class 2-15...")

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:30 am 
Jason Dubois thinks Cecil, still looking at the screen. He idly wonders how many people are aboard this station, and how big it is. Not to mention where it is.

Are they in a harbour? What 'fleet' is this?

Post Posted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:34 am 
AOL: [email protected]
"Uh... immediate action? Listen just bring me to her, I'm sure I'll be fine!"

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG