Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:26 pm 
WLM: [email protected]
Up -- ddddate!

Whoooo doggy, looks like you guys are makin' some enemies! And you've only passed through the first task of the Black Market (the name of which I'm stealing from balthzy).

Post Posted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:20 pm 
Another note: my husband drew a caricature of a patia for me! If I manage to get it to a scanner, I'll share it with you guys :D

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 2:44 am 
weatherwax wrote:
Another note: my husband drew a caricature of a patia for me! If I manage to get it to a scanner, I'll share it with you guys :D

Ooooh!

...I'm assuming that Fleur is pulling her escape after the medtent-heading group is out of sight.

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 8:23 am 
Yup!

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 1:36 pm 
Just thought I'd clarify something that I noticed could slip into looking like an error if not explained now. And I don't think this is a fact to "discover" really, anymore.

Okay, so patiae (and humans injected with special patia juice allowing them to communicate mentally) don't usually talk "secretly." Going into that secret place in the mind feels like a violation, unless done by a Mental Protector -- whose skill demands that it not be bothersome to work properly -- or by someone with whom you are very, very close to. We're talking children and parents, and those in romantic relationships. "Probing", or forcing thoughts into or out of the mind, feels both disgusting and painful. It can be done, just like running around nekkid and waving your bits around can be done, but it's a SERIOUS social taboo. Those in authority will do it as a last resort in serious cases of he said she said -- we're talking murder, rape, as you just witnessed slavery charges, and so on. Thievery doesn't count, btw.

The mental protector status is why Gil and Jason can talk to you guys without it hurting.

These are things you know. So why on earth is it that sometimes during somewhat private conversations in which Gil or Jason is not involved, people don't take notice? For instance, Maria cried out, but only her team responded?

Well, much like in a crowd, thoughts between that many people are like a dull roar. All jumbled up with the pictures and the feelings and the feeling of feelings and so on. People could "hear" Maria, but she's just one more group of emotions in the sea. The fact that she "targeted" the people in her unit really helped when she cried out, much like calling some one's name. Gil and Jason would have noticed her particularly, since she's part of their Unit and they're both mental protectors.

In smaller groups, Maria's thoughts would have been immediately noticed as suspicious and worrisome.

Oh, and fyi, I'm wiffle waffling on the range of thoughts. I've already established that, for instance, on a small ship someone in the cockpit can't call to someone in storage; they have to make use of the monitors. But the range in thoughts on an open plane? Hmmmm...

Post Posted: Tue Sep 20, 2011 5:58 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Yeah, I was worrying about whether María's mental screams would bring more bad guys on her as well as good guys. Seeing as her situation was already pretty bad, I decided she didn't have much to lose. The "crowd" explanation makes a lot of sense.

So if I understand correctly, the private mental communication between Gil or Jason and the rest of us only works one way; we can't "push" private messages to them, but if they knew that something was there for them they could read it. Yes?

EDIT: Regarding range: You could say that mental communication broadcasts in a simliar manner to EM radiation; it spreads out from the source, weakening as it expands. Some materials may block or reflect it. In a structure built for habitation by telepaths, it would seem natural for the walls to be made of a substance which reflects telepathic "radiation", making it easier to hear people in the same room, but harder to hear people in other rooms. You could even have telepathic auditoriums (or perhaps that should be "cogitoriums") or whisper galleries!

Post Posted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 11:33 pm 
Member of the Fraternal Order of the Emergency Pants
Hope I'm not overstepping my bounds by having Gil fill María in on what he said to Cecil while she was out, but it seemed natural, especially considering that I already know what he said. And María would definitely be twisting Gil's arm at this point for some answers.

Is it weird to find that my characters sometimes leading me more than I'm leading them? In the last werewolves game, my character did things that I felt might not the best strategy for her, simply because doing otherwise felt out of character.

Post Posted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:54 am 
I'm posting tonight, FYI. I'll push things forward. Just a head's up, the next two months will be a little spotty, again because of school, but also because my work schedule has become frantic -- and I've been told will be frantic into January. I'll do my damndest to keep things creaking along a bit until winter break and a loosening of the reigns.

Post Posted: Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:17 am 
When I heard this i immediately thought of Invasion! Mostly because of my character, admittedly, but still, it's what I first thought of.

Board index » RPG Forums » Freestyle RPG